Is there a way to connect and stream video content to a TV through a regular household device such as a PS3 or XBox?? Please tell me have something up their sleeves for this!!!

Maybe with DLNA?? Share media between your phone and TV, computer, gaming systems, and more!

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA), a collaboration of consumer electronics companies, created guidelines to ensure products can seamlessly share digital music, video, and photos. Your phone is a DLNA-certified device. Look for the DLNA symbol on your other electronic devices, (TVs, computers, gaming systems, DVRs) to see if they are DLNA certified. You can also check the DLNA website: Consumer Home. If your devices are DLNA certified, all you need to start sharing media is a wireless home network and your phone's Media Share or DLNA apps.
    Having a DLNA-certified phone means that you can:
    • Stream music, video, and photos from your phone to any DLNA device, like Playstation 3, XBOX, TV, computer, or A/V receiver
    • Send a picture from your phone to your computer
    • Send an MP3 from your phone to your computer
    • Stream a video from your phone to the TV using the handset as a controller
    • Browse the videos stored on your computer using your phone and then stream to your TV using an HDMI cable and the DLNA app

To get started, you need:
    • A wireless home network
    • A DLNA-certified product to connect to (TV, computer, gaming system, etc.)

Come on BlackBerry!!! Show us something!!!!
    02-01-13 03:27 PM
    Yes, they both support sharing over DLNA.
    jesse_h and 00stryder like this.
    02-01-13 03:32 PM
    Is there a tutorial available for how to do this? Is this like Airplay on iProducts?
    02-01-13 03:42 PM
    Yes, they both support sharing over DLNA.
    See, that's why I am slightly disappointed with the launch on Wednesday. There seems to be SO much baked into BB10 and yet BlackBerry primarily focused on the same features they showed before. Granted, they're important features, but we really didn't need as lengthy a demo of the keyboard given that they showed something similar back last spring. The people want to know if BB10 will feature DLNA, USB-OTG, NFC security and banking applications, etc. Definitely not enough on-stage time to talk about all of this in depth, but AT LEAST a mention!

Bah, maybe BlackBerry's waiting for everybody to say "holy crap! It can do that too?!" but I don't have that much faith in the general public to educate themselves like that...
    02-01-13 04:33 PM
    The people want to know if BB10 will feature DLNA
    I don't, didn't even know what DLNA was until I read this thread. The launch was the first time I saw any of the Z10's features demonstrated and personally think they concentrated on the right stuff
    02-01-13 04:56 PM
    My question is the other way around for DLNA....can the Z10 act as a client?

For instance, a media pc is acting a as DLNA server, and the Z10 can stream the video content to watch on its own screen. This is sorely missed on the Playbook.

Anyone know?
    02-01-13 05:46 PM
    If anyone who has one can confirm that it can stream to a PS3 it would be appreciated. My Bold 9900 can so I would hope so. Also, does anyone know if it still supports SMS text messages and BBM using Bridge to the Playbook? I know it doesn't do email anymore, but that's cool, losing the other two not so much.
    02-01-13 05:51 PM
    I don't, didn't even know what DLNA was until I read this thread. The launch was the first time I saw any of the Z10's features demonstrated and personally think they concentrated on the right stuff
    That was my fault for presuming; generally though, most CrackBerry users have seen all of the features shown at launch several times now, particularly at BlackBerry World last Spring (not all of the features, but definitely the keyboard and hub). I'm glad you're excited though, and just wait until you find out about the features I'm talking about! This is definitely a powerful platform.

If anyone who has one can confirm that it can stream to a PS3 it would be appreciated. My Bold 9900 can so I would hope so. Also, does anyone know if it still supports SMS text messages and BBM using Bridge to the Playbook? I know it doesn't do email anymore, but that's cool, losing the other two not so much.
    The Bridge functions don't have anything to do with the possible email deficits (if you're using a non-Exchange account), so I don't see why it wouldn't be any different than Bridge on the legacy devices. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Bridge wasn't baked into the native functions, like wireless, bluetooth, nfc, and bridge (or something like that). BlackBerry wants us "hyperconnected" and always have our information at our fingertips so I think they would certainly preserve Bridge functions.

I thought I read though that IMAP service fixed the issues with the push email though? (Email's not entirely gone, just not possibly instantaneous as we're used to.)
    02-01-13 09:04 PM
    See, that's why I am slightly disappointed with the launch on Wednesday. There seems to be SO much baked into BB10 and yet BlackBerry primarily focused on the same features they showed before. Granted, they're important features, but we really didn't need as lengthy a demo of the keyboard given that they showed something similar back last spring. The people want to know if BB10 will feature DLNA, USB-OTG, NFC security and banking applications, etc. Definitely not enough on-stage time to talk about all of this in depth, but AT LEAST a mention!

Bah, maybe BlackBerry's waiting for everybody to say "holy crap! It can do that too?!" but I don't have that much faith in the general public to educate themselves like that...
    You need to remember that the launch wasn't for "us". It was for the general public who haven't seen video demo after demo after demo.... It was already over an hour long so to show everything that this phone can do, would have required another hour at least. If, and I mean if, they play it right, all these little things (big things) will be a part of the marketing campaign moving forward. What it will do is allow for progression, and continued interest for more than a day, week, or month, which will drive sales beyond the initial launch and beyond the faithful that have been waiting.
    00stryder, jesse_h and peter9477 like this.
    02-01-13 09:41 PM
    I just tried streaming a video I shot with its camera to PS3. It worked.
    jesse_h and BBOttawa like this.
    02-01-13 10:35 PM
    My question is the other way around for DLNA....can the Z10 act as a client?

For instance, a media pc is acting a as DLNA server, and the Z10 can stream the video content to watch on its own screen. This is sorely missed on the Playbook.

Anyone know?
    No client, only server functionality
    02-02-13 02:18 AM
    I just tried streaming a video I shot with its camera to PS3. It worked.
    How? Totally new to dlna. Btw, my diehard Apple fan said no photo streaming to TV means no deal. Can one stream photos to a dlna TV?
    02-02-13 03:24 AM
    with the greatest respect, how can that be true? what i simply mean is if thats the first time you saw the Z10`s features, how would you know if they missed something you may think is a dealbreaker for you? to be honest they missed out ALOT of stuff, and im sure they coulda got more in if they not bothered with some rubbish about going on holiday lol.

To me personally, now i have a Z10 and i know what i can do with it, the presentation missed the mark, but of course thats just my own opinion.

How? Totally new to dlna. Btw, my diehard Apple fan said no photo streaming to TV means no deal. Can one stream photos to a dlna TV?
    dlna is basically streaming over wifi within your network, i.e must both be on the same router. so for example my samsung ES6900 tv is connected with a LAN cable to my router, and of course the phone is on wifi.

the supported formats are Music, Photos and Video.
    02-02-13 06:12 AM
    with the greatest respect, how can that be true? what i simply mean is if thats the first time you saw the Z10`s features, how would you know if they missed something you may think is a dealbreaker for you? to be honest they missed out ALOT of stuff, and im sure they coulda got more in if they not bothered with some rubbish about going on holiday lol.
    With the greatest respect, why would I want to stream a film from my Z10 to my TV, or have I missed something? I have a smart blu-ray player & TV for streaming video.

That is the first time I'd seen the Z10's features demonstrated, and what was shown fits with how I intend to use the phone, mainly as a communication device, which is what a phone's supposed to be anyway isn't it?
    02-02-13 06:21 AM
    With the greatest respect, why would I want to stream a film from my Z10 to my TV, or have I missed something? I have a smart blu-ray player & TV for streaming video.

That is the first time I'd seen the Z10's features demonstrated, and what was shown fits with how I intend to use the phone, mainly as a communication device, which is what a phone's supposed to be anyway isn't it?
    i think we`re not quite communicating the same point here. when i said that you`ll notice i clearly didnt mention dlna or any particular feature as i was talking in general. there are many thinks they didnt show, like voice to text in messages, voice control, maps, compass, heck they didnt even show the calendar, also no sign of Games, the scoreloop integrated platform, no mention of box or dropbox integration, simply pointed out evernote was integrated into `remember`. also no demo of print to go, newsstand, nfc or docs to go.

As you can clearly see that covers a wide range of daily uses including alot of communication side stuff which might be of some use to you, however that doesnt escape the fact that your needs will by their very nature be different to the next persons, so whats good for one person isnt good for the next.
    00stryder likes this.
    02-02-13 06:40 AM
    your needs will by their very nature be different to the next persons, so whats good for one person isnt good for the next.
    Very true, what I saw at the launch fitted with my current needs, anything else I find useful when I'm able to get a Z10 in slightly less than three weeks will be more icing on the cake, but I just don't use games & stuff like that on a phone
    02-02-13 06:48 AM

Think of people travelling for business, they are stuck in hotel rooms with nothing to do in the evenings, they can get movies and TV shows from BlackBerry world and project them to the hotel TV's - I know right now hotel TV's probably are older but in future. They can also share presentations on the road without having to worry about cables if clients have DNLA devices to project to.

If all people wanted to do was make phone calls we'd still be using flip phones, now we are in the age of the super phones which are an interconnected platform.
    dietertong likes this.
    02-02-13 07:04 AM
    dlna is basically streaming over wifi within your network, i.e must both be on the same router. so for example my samsung ES6900 tv is connected with a LAN cable to my router, and of course the phone is on wifi.

the supported formats are Music, Photos and Video.
    Nice! Now my die-hard Apple friend no longer has an excuse.

Now I need to figure out how to give him a demo. Any tutorials?
    02-02-13 07:11 AM
    Nice! Now my die-hard Apple friend no longer has an excuse.

Now I need to figure out how to give him a demo. Any tutorials?
    Here you go
    00stryder and polytope like this.
    02-02-13 01:15 PM