Can someone tell me if these things were officially promised by the company at any point for all bb10 handsets? I'm more than pissed that the q5, a so called budget phone has some of these features but not my expensive former flagship. Even my older 200 dollar nexus 7 has some of these features.

Posted from BlackBerry Z10
    annon91221 likes this.
    11-08-13 08:23 AM
    Can someone tell me if these things were officially promised by the company at any point for all bb10 handsets? I'm more than pissed that the q5, a so called budget phone has some of these features but not my expensive former flagship. Even my older 200 dollar nexus 7 has some of these features.

Never officially promised that I remember. I do remember there being discussions that BlackBerry would certainly include these features in their launch device... because everyone assumed that it was go to be the best of the best.

We kinda forgot that specs don't matter, and that using year old internal in your flagship device would be the smart way to go. After all its the software that matters and how it has been tweaked and optimized to fully utilize the hardware.

Not having USB OTG, WiFi Direct, Miracast or even an FM Radio.... most likely doesn't matter to 90% of consumers out there. But the lack of these items does indicate that the Z10 never was really a competitor in the Flagship market.
    11-08-13 09:08 AM
    That's what happens when you keep delaying and delaying. When you release something a year or two after being conceived, it's old already.
    11-08-13 09:14 AM

Well I don't think it was ever officially promised

On another note at least we have NFC, just learned that some variants of the Q5 don't have NFC in another thread

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 09:17 AM
    Ok. Thanks. Does anyone really use Nfc? I remember BlackBerry made a big deal out of the visa announcement a while back and nothing since.

I use my phone as my primary media device. I'm disappointed that these features are not there. I feel cheated and lied to (or at the very least misled) much like the playbook announcement

Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    11-08-13 11:59 AM
    Ok. Thanks. Does anyone really use Nfc? I remember BlackBerry made a big deal out of the visa announcement a while back and nothing since.

I use my phone as my primary media device. I'm disappointed that these features are not there. I feel cheated and lied to (or at the very least misled) much like the playbook announcement

I understand expecting those features and being disappointed when they are not available. But your expectations were built on very shaky ground. Assuming they would be on the 'flagship' device, and the launch device would be the 'flagship'. Since the rank of flagship seems to come more from the press than any where else. Also as soon as the Q10 was announced all the press started calling it the flagship.

The fact is the Z10 was designed to be the handheld counterpart of the PlayBook. I would consider it an initial conforming device, the first commercial product after prototype stage. It is common even clich� that second and third generation devices have more capability than first. Early adopters who want the latest and greatest need to move to new models as they come out.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 03:29 PM
    Waitt the z10 got wifi direct but no miracast right?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 04:17 PM
    The Z10 was said to have Wi-Fi Direct way back when they were originally announced. Other phones on the market at the time had it. The Galaxy S2 has it and is over a year older hardware. So the fact that BB decided not to support it is the only thing I'm not happy about. The other two were never originally promised for the phone in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:08 PM
    Thanks. You know, wifi direct is the feature I want the most out of the three. I've heard people say that the z10 can technically support wifi, but that BlackBerry won't. Dunno

11-08-13 06:28 PM
    Long story short, the Z10 is capable of using wifi direct. As for what BlackBerry wants to use wifi direct for - i.e. in conjunction with Miracast (which the Z10's wifi radio does not support) to project multimedia to compatible devices - will likely not be coming to the Z10.

There may be other applications for wifi direct that BlackBerry explores in the future though.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 06:40 PM
    Without searching, I thought I remembered on of the breaks having wifi direct. Maybe I'm thinking of o
    The wip lists.

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my GoogleBerry Cranial Implant
    11-08-13 06:55 PM