Hello all, been a devoted BB user since my trusty 8700, finally decided to actually sign up instead of just spending hours reading on here. loved my bold 9900 but like many of us I am sure, I waiting past my comfort zone for the new BB10 to finally come out. got my Z10 2 days ago, and while I am no means blown away, I can see the first release of a new OS that truly is next gen. looking forward to more updates and what the future holds for BB10. After many frustrations in setting up my new phone with what should be the simplest of tasks, I have it pretty much with everything going on it now. I wont bother with my complaints because, I am sure we know most of them already. to love blackberry is always a little bit of a love and hate relationship.
    I have a few questions on things that are troubling me, i ask for your help, but I have noticed some pretty angry people on here so for those people I do not ask for their help. lets play nice in this crackberry sandbox please.

1. Still have many things on my Bold 9900 calendar that did not sync over when i got my email accounts up and running, not sure why, my question is has anyone come up with a good solution to sync up with outlook and also google calendars, this is important for my business. I run a macbook, so even on the old DM there was no sync from phone to mac, only mac to phone, which is totally backwards for most of us. now with BL there is no sync features at all (for business, and blackberry has always been about business, until now it seems?). I understand active sync is now a pay option, i'm good with that, does it work for outlook + gmail to and from my mac outlook to my new Z10? is outlook.com a better alternative?

2. Just had a weird experience with BBM video + voice chat. called my buddy who is the only other guy I know with a Z10 (we are both in the same city and on same carrier), we can see each other but not hear each other, I tried toggling the mic mute button but it did not do anything. tried voice call and video call (could see each other in video call). the mic icon on my Z10 has a line through it that doesn't go away if I press the icon. anyone else have this? was a rather disappointing first go at a cool feature.

3. set up my email accounts (all dedicated business accounts, not gmail or yahoo) and just did the email + password thing, worked awesome, but I have noticed they are not push accounts and they check for mail every 15 minutes at best. should I be setting these up as a pop 3 account like on outlook? whats the best way to get push email? I have 6 accounts I need to do.

4. I read a thread on having an email icon, and while I think we should have the option of using an icon along with the hub (as someone said, change is good) but I understand there is not one. I would like to be able to group my email accounts in the hub to show as 1 feed, not 6, but that does not seem possible. mostly as Im finding it a little distracting to work off of the main hub with everything in there, I am sure i will get used to it, but I like my things separated, maybe because that is what i'm used too i guess, will see how I am 2 weeks from now. I also don't like having to look at my email accounts 1 by 1, I find it much slower.

5. I notice that most everything can be an active frame except some of the things I really want in there, mainly text + email, those stay only in the hub when minimized, is this correct or is there another way to do this. the active frames are fast for multi tasking but i don't need to multitask password keeper and such. I am all for the hub but a smart phone should not force you into only 1 way of doing things, that is why my iPhone is used as an iPod! would love to have my active frames with my text, email, bbm, Facebook, calendar, twitter and phone, maybe in a future update or do we think they will be migrating everything into the hub, i have seen the thread for people wanting to get rid of the text icons so that is why I ask.

well I am sure I forgot 10 things I wanted to ask but happy to be on crackberry, nice to have a blackberry that I can go online with finally. thanks!
    02-16-13 10:30 PM
    Hello all, been a devoted BB user since my trusty 8700, finally decided to actually sign up instead of just spending hours reading on here. loved my bold 9900 but like many of us I am sure, I waiting past my comfort zone for the new BB10 to finally come out. got my Z10 2 days ago, and while I am no means blown away, I can see the first release of a new OS that truly is next gen. looking forward to more updates and what the future holds for BB10. After many frustrations in setting up my new phone with what should be the simplest of tasks, I have it pretty much with everything going on it now. I wont bother with my complaints because, I am sure we know most of them already. to love blackberry is always a little bit of a love and hate relationship.
    I have a few questions on things that are troubling me, i ask for your help, but I have noticed some pretty angry people on here so for those people I do not ask for their help. lets play nice in this crackberry sandbox please.

1. Still have many things on my Bold 9900 calendar that did not sync over when i got my email accounts up and running, not sure why, my question is has anyone come up with a good solution to sync up with outlook and also google calendars, this is important for my business. I run a macbook, so even on the old DM there was no sync from phone to mac, only mac to phone, which is totally backwards for most of us. now with BL there is no sync features at all (for business, and blackberry has always been about business, until now it seems?). I understand active sync is now a pay option, i'm good with that, does it work for outlook + gmail to and from my mac outlook to my new Z10? is outlook.com a better alternative?

2. Just had a weird experience with BBM video + voice chat. called my buddy who is the only other guy I know with a Z10 (we are both in the same city and on same carrier), we can see each other but not hear each other, I tried toggling the mic mute button but it did not do anything. tried voice call and video call (could see each other in video call). the mic icon on my Z10 has a line through it that doesn't go away if I press the icon. anyone else have this? was a rather disappointing first go at a cool feature.

3. set up my email accounts (all dedicated business accounts, not gmail or yahoo) and just did the email + password thing, worked awesome, but I have noticed they are not push accounts and they check for mail every 15 minutes at best. should I be setting these up as a pop 3 account like on outlook? whats the best way to get push email? I have 6 accounts I need to do.

4. I read a thread on having an email icon, and while I think we should have the option of using an icon along with the hub (as someone said, change is good) but I understand there is not one. I would like to be able to group my email accounts in the hub to show as 1 feed, not 6, but that does not seem possible. mostly as Im finding it a little distracting to work off of the main hub with everything in there, I am sure i will get used to it, but I like my things separated, maybe because that is what i'm used too i guess, will see how I am 2 weeks from now. I also don't like having to look at my email accounts 1 by 1, I find it much slower.

5. I notice that most everything can be an active frame except some of the things I really want in there, mainly text + email, those stay only in the hub when minimized, is this correct or is there another way to do this. the active frames are fast for multi tasking but i don't need to multitask password keeper and such. I am all for the hub but a smart phone should not force you into only 1 way of doing things, that is why my iPhone is used as an iPod! would love to have my active frames with my text, email, bbm, Facebook, calendar, twitter and phone, maybe in a future update or do we think they will be migrating everything into the hub, i have seen the thread for people wanting to get rid of the text icons so that is why I ask.

well I am sure I forgot 10 things I wanted to ask but happy to be on crackberry, nice to have a blackberry that I can go online with finally. thanks!
    You can get answers to #1 by searching through CrackBerry. There a good number of threads where people posted tricks and tips for syncing calendars and emails with their gmail, etc. I don't sync my gmail to my Z10, so I can't help you there.

However, I can answer #3-#5:

#3: If you want push email, set up using ActiveSync.

#4: When you are in the Hub, swipe down one more layer (i.e. swipe right) and it will show you a menu with all the accounts that feed into the Hub. From there you can select to view each account individually. Also, you can select which account you want or do not want to appear in the Main section of the Hub.

#5: Email is the only feature that is Hub only. Text, BBM, Facebook, Calendar, Twitter and phone all have their own apps (and therefore have their own active frames when minimized) - you should see them in your pre-loaded apps grid.
    02-16-13 11:25 PM
    thanks Duex!
    - I have not found that the text app minimizes into an active frame, it closes back into the hub. thats ok, its a new way of doing things so I am sure I will get used to it. will follow up after being on the phone for a solid week of work. weekend right now is pretty chill and phone playtime.
    02-16-13 11:36 PM
    If your mail server isn't something with ActiveSync, there's a recent (well, a few years old) IMAP extension to do something similar. Maybe updating the server would help, if you can convince your IT.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:05 AM
    I've heard that the IMAP solution isn't too fast on the Z10 but will do some reading on it. thanks!
    02-17-13 12:37 AM
    I've heard that the IMAP solution isn't too fast on the Z10 but will do some reading on it. thanks!
    It'll be better than POP3 though. IMAP accounts on the Z10 are (at least in my experience) almost indistinguishable from Pushed accounts. I have noticed at most a minute of lag. When I am at my desk and have my email open, I do occasionally get the e-mail pop up on my screen a few moments before they appear on the z10, but then sometimes it hits the z10 first.
    02-17-13 03:33 AM