I am looking to pick up a Z10 blackberry. I know there is $100 discount for t-mobile users if you buy from shopblackberry.com

I do like the wifi calling feature the tmobile blackberries have. If I get an unbranded/unlocked z10 from shopblackberry, is it possible to load the tmobile specific BB10.2 software so that I can get the wifi calling features?

Thanks.
    04-21-14 09:13 AM
    I do believe both the Q10 and Z10 on Shop BlackBerry are the specific model for T-Mobile, so that should be fine. If you put in a T-Mobile SIM, you should get the latest T-Mobile software update pushed to you (and thus get WiFi calling). If not, you can always get an autoloader from the forums and load it that way.
    04-21-14 09:46 AM
    go and get yourself a Z30... you won't be dissapointed
    04-21-14 10:09 AM
    go and get yourself a Z30... you won't be dissapointed
    The Z30 currently doesn't have Wi-Fi Calling on T-Mobile U.S.A.
    04-21-14 10:18 AM
    The Z30 currently doesn't have Wi-Fi Calling on T-Mobile U.S.A.
    Ahhh, never had options to use WiFi calling so I wouldn't know about that part.

Why would that be a 'must have' option? Is this a TMO-specific solution? Won't regular calls do, or is it because TMO's net is not good enough? Or is it that they don't have good enough regular cell plans?

BBM Voice should at least work great from a WiFi net...
    04-21-14 12:14 PM
    Ahhh, never had options to use WiFi calling so I wouldn't know about that part.

Why would that be a 'must have' option? Is this a TMO-specific solution? Won't regular calls do, or is it because TMO's net is not good enough? Or is it that they don't have good enough regular cell plans?

BBM Voice should at least work great from a WiFi net...
    Since the OP specifically mentioned Wi-Fi Calling as a desirable feature, it was worth mentioning that the Z30 currently doesn't have it, for full disclosure, so that there's no surprises.

T-Mobile is the only carrier to have Wi-Fi Calling at the moment. Sprint may be next, but they only carry the Q10 and the OP would need to get a Sprint-branded Q10 to have it working, if it is ever supported by Sprint. Sprint only has two Androids that have it.

Wi-Fi Calling is useful for when cell reception is poor, like inside of buildings where wi-fi is present, but there are no cell repeaters. Wi-Fi Calling is also useful for when you're overseas. You can call/receive calls, via wi-fi, as if you were home.

BBM Voice requires that the other end also have BBM Voice. Wi-Fi Calling works just like a regular call, so the other end doesn't need BBM Voice and could be a landline.
    04-21-14 12:27 PM
    FWIW, the $100 discount for a Z10 from Blackberry isn't just for T-Mobile users. I just picked one up (unlocked) for $200 to use on AT&T.

Sent from my Z10
    04-21-14 02:34 PM
    [QUOTE=Morten;10268406]Ahhh, never had options to use WiFi calling so I wouldn't know about that part.

UMA/WIFI Calling comes in handy if you are in a place where you have weak reception. For the longest time my house (despite the tower being at the corner of the street) fit that bill and when my folks first moved to their place in Vero beach it was also not great.
    more and more tmo seems to have coverage but I would very much still lket o keep this feature or am out of the country.

i have a home office and my assistant has ATT (which i had for years before you could port your #) he would very much like to have wifi calling so he can get those calls and texts that dont go through due to terrible reception from them as well.
    04-21-14 05:34 PM
    FWIW, the $100 discount for a Z10 from Blackberry isn't just for T-Mobile users. I just picked one up (unlocked) for $200 to use on AT&T.

Sent from my Z10
    Bruce,

Is the Z10 from Shop BlackBerry the -3, 121 version or the -3, 91 version?
    04-21-14 06:57 PM
    Bruce,

Is the Z10 from Shop BlackBerry the -3, 121 version or the -3, 91 version?
    Hmm, don't know. It's the -3, but where would I look for the complete version?

Sent from my Z10 via AT&T
    04-22-14 05:23 AM

Sticker behind the battery. Either RFK121LW or RFF91LW.

Posted via CB10
    jpvj and bruce73 like this.
    04-22-14 09:18 AM
    Sticker behind the battery. Either RFK121LW or RFF91LW.

Posted via CB10
    Common knowledge :-o

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 04:04 PM
    Has anyone tried to add the WiFi Calling bar from a Z10 to the equivalent Z30 OS?

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 04:38 PM

Like thurask said, just take the back cover off and remove the battery. The full model details are on the sticker there.

I've seen the tweet about which models are for sale on Shop BlackBerry, but it doesn't mention which of the two -3 Z10 models are for sale. I'm curious to know. Thanks!
    04-22-14 10:59 PM
    @Dukun: it's the 121. What's the difference between the two?

04-23-14 01:13 PM

121 has the extra T-Mobile HSPA+ band (AWS), that's it.
    bruce73 likes this.
    04-23-14 01:26 PM
    I am looking to pick up a Z10 blackberry. I know there is $100 discount for t-mobile users if you buy from shopblackberry.com

I do like the wifi calling feature the tmobile blackberries have. If I get an unbranded/unlocked z10 from shopblackberry, is it possible to load the tmobile specific BB10.2 software so that I can get the wifi calling features?

Thanks.

Yes I purchased an unlocked Q10 2 weeks ago and use it with T-Mobile. 4G LTE works with it as does WiFi calling, you need to install the apps and talk to a CSR either online chat or phone phone for them to turn on visual voice mail.

Posted via my Q10
    04-23-14 03:02 PM
    121 has the extra T-Mobile HSPA+ band (AWS), that's it.
    Thx. Maybe you'll know the answer to this then. I originally had a Q10 I bought new on eBay. It was T-Mobile branded, but I unlocked it and moved to AT&T. When I placed calls, half the time they connected, the other half failed. Persistence usually paid off, but I wondered if the problem was that extra band. That maybe, even though unlocked, it was still searching for it first. Any thoughts?

04-23-14 03:21 PM

Thanks for the info. It look like thurask answered your question. It's an extra band for T-Mobile. I have no idea about what was going on with your old Q10, sorry.
    04-23-14 04:52 PM
    Thanks for the info. It look like thurask answered your question. It's an extra band for T-Mobile. I have no idea about what was going on with your old Q10, sorry.
    No prob. Yeah, I ended selling the Q10 since I didn't want to go back to T-Mobile. I'm really liking the Z10 though, so it's all good.

Sent from my Z10
    04-23-14 04:57 PM
    Thx. Maybe you'll know the answer to this then. I originally had a Q10 I bought new on eBay. It was T-Mobile branded, but I unlocked it and moved to AT&T. When I placed calls, half the time they connected, the other half failed. Persistence usually paid off, but I wondered if the problem was that extra band. That maybe, even though unlocked, it was still searching for it first. Any thoughts?

Probably just a Friday afternoon unit.
    04-23-14 05:07 PM
    LOL!
    04-23-14 05:17 PM
    ???

Sent from my Z10
    04-23-14 10:03 PM
    ???

Sent from my Z10