No secret, we all know BlackBerry is trying to move to Android, but go to BlackBerry's site and the majority of their devices for sale are running BB10. So I feel that BlackBerry should continue to provide software support and updates until they officially calls it quits and completely goes Android. But let's be real, funds are limited, staff is even more limited. So what parts of OS 10 do you think BlackBerry should focus on?

Personally, I think BlackBerry should focus on updating core apps. I understand there's an argument to be made that devices are bought "as is" and you shouldn't expect, or demand, software updates. But it's important, at least from a customer retention viewpoint, that a device that you're still selling continues to work. If you're brand new, fresh out of the box, smartphone can't render websites correctly, that's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth. It's the sort of thing that will sour you on other products they sell.

I also think BlackBerry should make sure their apps can connect to other services like Outlook, Gmail, Dropbox, etc. I like how I can access my OneDrive from the file manager. And even if it's not as good as an official OneDrive app, it's still very useful.

However, I don't think BlackBerry is obligated to maintain the Android runtime. They shouldn't be burdened with continuously adapting to another company's operating system. Given the limited staff now working on BB10, IMO, the resources would likely be better spent elsewhere.

But those are just my thoughts. What do you think BlackBerry should focus on?
    06-11-16 03:49 PM
    Treat it like Python 2: bug fixes and security updates until they pull the plug.
    06-11-16 04:04 PM
    "So I feel that BlackBerry should continue to provide software support and updates until they officially calls it quits"

Just as BB never "officially" announced EOL for BBOS - but hasn't done any development for it since 2013 - they aren't likely to officially announce the EOL for BB10 either. But there hasn't been any development of substance for BB10 for 14-15 months already, and there won't be more in the future. The developers have either been moved to the Android team or laid off - they've long since left the building and have found other jobs.

There's a skeleton crew to handle the security patches, but that's all. Given the delay of the release of 10.3.3, it seems clear that this small team has their hands full just handling that - there's no free time to do anything else, and they're probably not the right team for app development anyway. Given all that, your question is moot. BB isn't going to be spending any more of their dwindling resources on further BB10 development. Yes, this is technically "only my opinion", but there is plenty of evidence to support this view. Laying off the development staff being perhaps the most obvious one.
    06-11-16 04:10 PM
    I like OS 10. Its sad that its going to stagnate.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 09:04 PM
    John Chen said that BlackBerry would continue support for BB10, so that should include "As you said" at least the core apps and the BB10 OS.

The end users should also be entitled to receive MOST, if not all of the security features/updates being offered to help Enterprise clientele.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 09:16 PM
    John Chen said that BlackBerry would continue support for BB10
    By Chen's definition, the two promised security updates (10.3.3. and 10.3.4) represent the aforementioned "support." Try to find any other specific support promise - you won't find any.

As many times as he's been asked the question publicly (dozens that we know of), if he had something more to offer, don't you think he'd have mentioned it by now?
    JeepBB, BigAl_BB9900 and cgk like this.
    06-11-16 09:53 PM
    You tell me. What is it about the base OS that is not working? Last I checked it still made voice calls just fine, SMS works, as does email and web browsing. Security patches are important, but I do not feel the need to waste any time on a new icon set or fancy new transition graphics or ....

So what is it other than security patches and bug fixes do people think BB should work on?
    Netflix client? Facebook client? That's not the responsibility of the OS. Is there some special piece of standard phone hardware that BB doesn't work on? Please don't say fingerprint scanner....those things maybe convenient but they're a potential security nightmare. Force touch? Is it necessary with a keyboard? Is the camera too slow? What is it?

I really don't see any lack of capability in the core OS right now that would warrant a major release.
    BB_PP, elfabio80 and to boldly go like this.
    06-11-16 10:42 PM
    I would vote for keeping BlackBerry 10 on life support vis a vis security and bug fixes indefinitely. At the same time, I would hope for updated Android run times, because that's the answer to Blackberry World's death agony. It's really hard to see why adhering to those two paths would be such a hardship on the company. Hell, feels like they should assume that as their responsibility to the remaining millions of BlackBerry owners.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 01:54 AM
    Well they have an OS with potential, I don't think they would kill it or pull the plug, they just ventured into android and that would be the current OS to be used.

As the antitrust, app issue, Google mania wars etc... develop, BlackBerry will have a nearly developed OS to issue IFIFIfIF things happen to change.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 02:10 AM
    It's time to move on, bb10 is the past and android is the future and even if it's the future I would certainly won't rely on BlackBerry anymore, security is a nice lollipop to attract certain enterprise customers but won't appeal to consumers and BlackBerry has the old habit of ditching their fans so no more BlackBerry handset

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    06-12-16 02:27 AM
    I'm a little tired of all the posts telling people it's time to "move on". YOU move on if you like, but i'm really enjoying my new Passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 02:49 AM
    I'm a little tired of all the posts telling people it's time to "move on". YOU move on if you like, but i'm really enjoying my new Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Even am enjoying my time with my Passport but it's surely as true as anything that BB10 is Dead just like BBOS

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 02:53 AM
    Back on topic, I would say that their obligation to BB10 should be for two years after they stop selling it. By obligation I mean security patches, bug fixes, and possibly browser updates. They have no obligation to do anything else. People buying new BB10 devices today should do so only if they are ok with the possibility of favorite apps losing functionality.
    06-12-16 09:57 AM
    I think they have to maintain it running.. they should keep fighting those androids and not joining them
    06-12-16 11:41 AM
    Well they have an OS with potential, I don't think they would kill it or pull the plug, they just ventured into android and that would be the current OS to be used.

As the antitrust, app issue, Google mania wars etc... develop, BlackBerry will have a nearly developed OS to issue IFIFIfIF things happen to change.

Posted via CB10
    ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    06-12-16 01:29 PM
    Millions of people don't want to use Windows 10 and will stay with 7/8 even though MS has moved on. Microsoft will continue to 'support' that decision by security updates. It's the same with BB10. If it suits your needs then keep going.
    AcADIeN likes this.
    06-12-16 02:23 PM
    "So I feel that BlackBerry should continue to provide software support and updates until they officially calls it quits"

Just as BB never "officially" announced EOL for BBOS - but hasn't done any development for it since 2013 - they aren't likely to officially announce the EOL for BB10 either. But there hasn't been any development of substance for BB10 for 14-15 months already, and there won't be more in the future. The developers have either been moved to the Android team or laid off - they've long since left the building and have found other jobs.

There's a skeleton crew to handle the security patches, but that's all. Given the delay of the release of 10.3.3, it seems clear that this small team has their hands full just handling that - there's no free time to do anything else, and they're probably not the right team for app development anyway. Given all that, your question is moot. BB isn't going to be spending any more of their dwindling resources on further BB10 development. Yes, this is technically "only my opinion", but there is plenty of evidence to support this view. Laying off the development staff being perhaps the most obvious one.
    That is the true reality. Let's see what happens in the next 12 months....

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 02:27 PM
    So what is it other than security patches and bug fixes do people think BB should work on?
    I'd love BlackBerry to complete the core functionality of Blend - eg the ability to edit existing Contact details in Blend from a PC. IMHO this IS missing core functionality (my assumption is that this would require further development of BB10 OS).
    06-12-16 06:03 PM
    I don't know all the technical stuff, I just know I love my Passport and BB10. My husband had an android and switched to Blackberry, and he likes BB10 much better. If android is the future, it's very disappointing. I haven't found much I like about android and what I've seen of I-Phones doesn't impress me either. I have owned four different Blackberry phones and I don't like the idea of having to give that up. I will be a Blackberry user until there is no Blackberry left.

So Mr. Chen, if you are listening, there are faithful who believe Blackberry is the best . Don't forget us.

Posted via CB10
    xxslxx, to boldly go, JCMM and 1 others like this.
    06-12-16 06:42 PM
    Aside from security updates, the thing I really want is an update to the Contacts app. I wish we could add user defined names for each phone numbers to each contact. We can only use the pre-defined ones: Mobile, Work, Home, and Other. For a company built on communication you would thing BB10 would have had the ability for more phone number options.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 08:48 PM
    Personally I think they should maintain support for as long as they have warranty coverage.
    For example, they are still selling BB10 devices. What's the warranty on them, one year? Then they should maintain OS, security, etc until then.

Doesn't get Classier then posting from a Classic!
    06-12-16 10:09 PM
    I think BlackBerry is meeting their obligations just fine, I love the product and dont have any problems with it. It has ended up serving me as my only source of internet, no more evil hack attacks and viruses or wasting hours on those kinds of problems. I still get any apps i want from Blackberry World, and get alot that I end up never using, too.

I believe many people WOULD switch to BlackBerry if they tried it, will that happen? I don't know. People DO care about their privacy, they just don't know or believe there is any hope of having it anymore. I think this will bring people over I the word can get out before it's too late. You just can't have everything android and have everything that is good about BlackBerry at the same time. They are the antithesis of each other, like meeting your doppleganger and expecting to merge into one being having the best of both worlds. if you're sick of android you want BlackBerry. You just may not know it yet, just like me before i found out.
    06-13-16 01:02 AM
    Am personally glad that BB10 is still going!

My Priv has become unusable since recent updates to MM: overheating, battery draining, hub unresponsive, extreme lag on everything.

Switched back to my old Passport (thankfully still have it!) and am impressed how much better everything is, with only a couple exceptions:

1. The keyboard : still prefer the classic style alt & symbol keys to the on-screen options

2. Browser no longer as brilliant as it was, seems a bit slow to load now: any ideas?

2. Android apps also seem a bit slow to load sometimes, would be great if the launcher speed here could be improved

3. Occasionally miss the Google infrastructure integration (account, maps, search, etc) : works well in Priv and would be great if it could work in BB10

Am hearing more and more dissatisfaction from friends and family with other mobiles: keep BB10 going, keep up the good work!

PS. did I forget to mention Blackberry Blend? Love it: can't believe I went so long without it!!!
    06-13-16 02:21 AM
    I really love the OS, it's almost perfect.

Blackberry is running away to android because the devs support, the most used apps in the word are the most missing apps in bbaw, bbos have some really stunning apps and games, I'm in love with many of them. But let's admit it, human beings are social by nature, and we miss those apps. Business and social are not opposites, facebook, for example, it's not only a social network, it's a powerful platform with a bunch of tools related with work, school, contacting any person.
    I'm really sure that's the problem here, unfortunately, BB10 end is near, and we are spectators of its agony.

Like you say, I really hope blackberry leave BB10 ready and the most stable possible to continue working many years after its dead.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 02:55 AM
    I don't know all the technical stuff, I just know I love my Passport and BB10. My husband had an android and switched to Blackberry, and he likes BB10 much better. If android is the future, it's very disappointing. I haven't found much I like about android and what I've seen of I-Phones doesn't impress me either. I have owned four different Blackberry phones and I don't like the idea of having to give that up. I will be a Blackberry user until there is no Blackberry left.

So Mr. Chen, if you are listening, there are faithful who believe Blackberry is the best . Don't forget us.

Posted via CB10
    Mr Chen has ear plug to listen what all bb10 users have to say, it's quite simple BlackBerry abundant us

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 03:15 AM
29 12