Do you like BB10 enough that you would be willing to pay $1 for native apps that are free on other platforms? Apps like netflix, google maps etc. This question assumes that these would be high quality native apps where the dev doesn't see the value in making a free app but could recoul development costs by charging a small fee for the app.

I for one would be willing.

Posted via CB10
    tatail and yellowhammer like this.
    11-16-13 11:32 AM
    As a general statement, yes I would be willing. But It would be on a case by case basis, obviously. Some might be worth it, others not so much.
    11-16-13 11:36 AM
    Yes, but here's where the huge caveat comes in.

"Yes, IF those apps are as fully featured and updated as often or almost as often as their free counterparts"

It'd be annoying to get the original version (not the current version) of Google Maps for $1 and never see a single update. Or buying Facebook for $1 and then hearing about how Facebook implemented these awesome new features and that the BB10 version would get those features... maybe a year or two later.
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    11-16-13 12:34 PM
    No. Who in their right mind would be willing to pay for free apps? Whackiest question on a forum to date. I might pay for apps that require payment but pay for free apps? Of course not.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    11-16-13 12:39 PM
    I'd pay for an app like SNAP .. Too bad we broke it within hours. I think I'd pay up to $7 for a good quality Google Store search and download tool

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 12:49 PM
    No. Who in their right mind would be willing to pay for free apps? Whackiest question on a forum to date. I might pay for apps that require payment but pay for free apps? Of course not.
    You have three choices

1. Not use the app at all.
    2. Pay $1 for an app that's free on other mobile OSes.
    3. Buy a phone with another OS to get the app for free.

Those are your only choices. For people who don't want to leave BB10 but wish they had an app that they use a lot, option #2 makes a lot of sense.
    11-16-13 01:30 PM
    Actually, the fourth and most plausible choice would be to side load the application in question, or if you have 10.2.1.1055, just install the apk.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:02 PM
    A great native app that actually works and is supported by the dev is worth way more than a crappy free app that is ported over and works kinda-sorta, or is not well supported.

"free" droid apps versus a pay app that is native? I'll pay (and did earlier today for one). Dev is serious about supporting the product, and it works better than anything the freebies could do anyway.
    11-16-13 02:39 PM
    Yes
    Absolutely yes

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:43 PM
    Free apps come with ads. I would not pay to be spammed with ads, if I was conned into doing so I would complain like hell and even consider changing platform. However to pay $1 for an app on BlackBerry if there's no adds then that's absolutely fine even if there's a free spamming version on android.
    Now please tell me, I have no intention of downloading Angry Birds for BlackBerry but is I payed the $1 and downoaded it, I would get an ad free version? Wouldn't I?
    11-16-13 03:37 PM
    Yes. I'd pay. I don't see $1 here and there as being consequential in any way. Some folks load A LOT of apps though and probably feel differently.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    11-16-13 03:41 PM
    Simple answer for me. Yes.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 03:51 PM
    You have three choices

1. Not use the app at all.
    2. Pay $1 for an app that's free on other mobile OSes.
    3. Buy a phone with another OS to get the app for free.

Those are your only choices. For people who don't want to leave BB10 but wish they had an app that they use a lot, option #2 makes a lot of sense.
    If you pay for an app, it's no longer a free app. If you charge me for an app, I can't consider that app "a free app". It's a paid app. Why would you pay for a FREE APP? If you can't live without the "free app", the only logical choice is to buy the paid version of the free app. If one does not exist then you don't have any choices. I never have and never will pay for an app. If it's not a free app, I don't want or need it.
    11-16-13 04:07 PM
    Would you pay a dollar more for a paid android app to have a direct link from an app on blackberry?

Ex 1.99 on android vs 2.99 on blackberry. Or would you feel ripped off

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 04:23 PM
    For one/rare use, no, but a often used native has a decent chance.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 05:42 PM
    I would for a fully native app.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:23 PM
    Free apps come with ads. I would not pay to be spammed with ads, if I was conned into doing so I would complain like hell and even consider changing platform. However to pay $1 for an app on BlackBerry if there's no adds then that's absolutely fine even if there's a free spamming version on android.
    Now please tell me, I have no intention of downloading Angry Birds for BlackBerry but is I payed the $1 and downoaded it, I would get an ad free version? Wouldn't I?
    I did say yes, but I can't help to agree with this.
    I don't mind paying for an app that's free on other platforms, but if I do pay I shouldn't have ads...

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:24 PM
    Yes. If it's an app I really want and it's not otherwise available in a fast, stable form any other way.

If a sideload works perfectly, then I'd just use that (unless the native one has extra features etc...)

For example, I'd pay for a Netflix app in 2 seconds since the port is sooo slow to browse (even though the movies play well) and it doesn't support user profiles.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 01:04 AM
    One thing to consider is that many free apps such as netflix are an expense to the dev to make their product usuable. They think that bb10 doesn't have the userbase to get a return on the development investment.

If they charged Buck for it, they could help offset the development costs of supporting a new platform.

For those that are unwilling to ever pay for any app, you are just selfish and cheap.

Developers need to be paid for their work.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 02:43 PM
    For those that are unwilling to ever pay for any app, you are just selfish and cheap.

Developers need to be paid for their work.

Posted via CB10
    If you are not cheap and selfish, why don't you just pay for all the apps you want non-payers to use?
    Being pragmatic and not using an app because you have to pay for it is not being cheap and selfish. Anyone that pays for an app that is free is stupid.
    BCITMike likes this.
    11-18-13 07:11 PM
    Yeah why not? 0.99 is nothing for a great app like Netflix, if you have enough to buy the phone and pay for a monthly premium i don't see why you couldn't spend a 1$ for an app that you really want, especially if there's carrier billing like on tmobile.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    11-18-13 07:18 PM
    If you are not cheap and selfish, why don't you just pay for all the apps you want non-payers to use?
    Being pragmatic and not using an app because you have to pay for it is not being cheap and selfish. Anyone that pays for an app that is free is stupid.
    I pay for the apps I use.
    If you need it, pay for it. It is cheap and selfish to demand developers give away their time.
    If you want more free apps, get an Andriod phone. You get what you pay for most of the time .

Posted via CB10
    yellowhammer likes this.
    11-18-13 09:45 PM
    I pay for the apps I use.
    If you need it, pay for it. It is cheap and selfish to demand developers give away their time.
    If you want more free apps, get an Andriod phone. You get what you pay for most of the time .

Posted via CB10
    If you are paying for apps that you use, even if no one is demanding money to use them, it proves that the last sentence of my prior post (#20) is right on the money.
    No one is demanding that developers give away their time. They do it without anyone demanding anything. If developers stopped providing free apps, I would do without the app. There is no app I need enough to pay for it.
    I certainly don't want more free apps. I have all the apps I want and need and they are all free. I have an Android phone along with an iPhone and several BlackBerry devices that I use on and off and although I know Android and iPhone have more apps than BlackBerry, I have the same free apps that have never given me any problems, on all devices. The quantity of apps is not important to me. The fact that they are free of charge is.
    11-18-13 11:34 PM
    And this is why most developers would rather put out free ad sponsored apps to the masses. Even when you charge a measly dollar, everyone has some sort of caveat or condition as if they want to enter in to some sort of contract to get their money's worth. It's simply not worth it. Just out it out there with no promises - take it or leave it.

That's why you can't get any customer service from Google. You are getting it for free so they aren't obligated to provide any particular service.

If I'm going to have to meet people's conditions of service then I want $10 to $20 to put up with you.
    11-19-13 12:27 AM