I really don't give a flip about the what the underlying OS is called. There were a set of features and experience touches that drove my selection of Z10. If those features had been implemented in the 'legacy' BB OS, or a 'bespoke' version of Android, fine.

In our family, we a Windows 8 phone, 2 varieties of Android (Sam G4, LG), and the Z10 - all get the job done. For me, the BB interface is slightly more intuitive - my wife's G4 is a nice device, but the UI drives me crazy. The LG phones were a great deal - but lacked some e-mail connectivity and client capability, as did the Samsung. After 3 months, my disappointment with the Z10 has been very minor.
    1. Battery life - I'd love to have a device that can live more than a week without charging. My old Casio phone could do that.
    2. Availability of company-specific apps (e.g.banking,investment, etc.) Providing a better browser experience could suffice. Seems like the BB browser doesn't trigger ' I'm mobile device' for many sites.
    3. Stability of OS. Out of the box, I had crashes and reboots. The newer OS release helped - and the Android devices in the family have had the same sort of issues.
    4. Hardening and 'life resistance' - having the device water-resistant and less fragile would give me peace of mind. The case is a help - but I still have feeling of fragility.
    5. Cost. Cheaper would have been better.
    6. Signal and usability in certain areas. This is partly a T-Mobile issue - but the phone will show 4 bars of signal, then, a foot or two away, show 'no signal'. The cheaper LG phones seem to work better in that regard than either the Z10 or the G4 - which is a bit maddening.
    I'm with T-Mobile as well and see the same signal issues as well. What is strange is I'm able to use my phone and make calls when my phone says emergency calls only.

You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.
    09-10-13 07:51 AM
    I see everyone saying no because of BlackBerry security, but aside from enterprise, security isn't selling more devices. Just saying. I don't think BB10 on partner hardware would sell any better either. Only people asking for this are us current BlackBerry users, who are also the ones supporting BB10, and obviously we haven't made a dent in sales. It saddens me that we are most likely in the last days of BlackBerry, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything falls back into place, everyday news regarding BlackBerry gets a tad bit worse.
    I find the Android OS (underlying) just too ugly for me. I gave up white text on a black background when I left DOS.

I would go WP8 before Android. Android just feels so cheap...

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-13-13 07:18 PM
    No. Maybe if Motorola made a BB10 handset?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 07:36 PM
    Highly interested.. There is no real business Android phone on the market.. They could make their own UI like Samsung and HTC does, but make it more business friendly.
    09-14-13 08:50 AM
    Honestly, if there was a way to get jellybean on my Q5 I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm happy we have sideloading as without it BB10 app selection be really bare, but there's apps that don't work or work poorly which is a shame.

Just my. 02

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 03:32 PM
    With all this talk of going private and acquisitions, it's a topic I feel a lot of people are sour on. After it was reported that an angel investor wanted BlackBerry to switch to Android, I got to thinking. What if BlackBerry had forked Android like Amazon did for the Kindle? Or heavily skinned it like Samsung does? Would you have been content with an Android device with the visual styling of BB10? It's an interesting take on things but I'd like to know how everyone else would have felt about such a device.

Posted via CB10
    No.

I see no reason at all for BlackBerry to make such a device as it has no differentiation over the existing lines from other manufacturers.
    09-15-13 11:24 PM
    They could skin it exactly like BB10 and no-one here would know the difference.
    09-15-13 11:34 PM
    It would be another Andriod phone not a "BlackBerry".

Sent from my HTC One running PlayBook 3.0
    09-15-13 11:41 PM
    They could skin it exactly like BB10 and no-one here would know the difference.
    Wrong. You would notice the difference immediately. Was Android for years before leaving and BlackBerry works nothing like Android. From sign-on having to create a Google Account even if you want nothing to do with their services other than the apps is immediate and noticeable. Next come Flash or the lack of unless you're like myself and have the app saved. Then comes the absolute lack of updates and by the time you do get a new OS that would be great for your device your phone is EOL. At the moment I would say that even Windows is more stable than Android. Android deals with eye-candy and nothing more. You go elsewhere for a real device.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:17 PM
    BlackBerry is struggling enough trying to get BlackBerry 10 noticed. It truly is a great operating system. If they switched to Android, they would be in direct competition Samsung, which hasn't worked well for HTC, Motorola, or other Android manufacturers. Moving to Android would be the death of secure devices, and the death of BlackBerry hardware.

What they really need to do is show how the devices work for consumers, not just business people. There haven't been any commercials targeting consumers. The general public knows nothing about BlackBerry 10, associating the device name with old technology. The new OS is great. It can do so much more, including run Android apps. It is more secure that anything out there, and is the only device fully DoD approved for government use. Why would they give all that up?
    09-16-13 09:40 PM
    No, too many android phones out there already.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 11:33 PM
    I am a long-time Blackberry user, currently with the z10. I have also used various Android handsets over the last three years. The concept of having a Blackberry Android is completely ridiculous, even though it is possible to build such an OS. The only real advantage at this point would be the ability to natively install Android apps, which of course, would come at the cost of losing native BB10 apps. And....

2. While RIM/Blackberry could also update their own skin/version of Android, it is ultimately up to Google to update the OS.

3. Most smartphone users either believe that Blackberry is dying a slow death, or is already dead. Why on earth would they buy a "Blackberry" device that looked and functioned like a Blackberry device even it really was just Android?

The answer for me is no. While I miss Google Now, the ability to customize my handset in ways that will probably never come natively to Blackberry, there simply is too many steps involved in most tasks with Android. I'm done with Android..even rooting the handset doesn't deliver a non-Android like experience.
    09-16-13 11:46 PM
87 ... 234