View Poll Results: Would you buy a "Blackberry Blade" device?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 75.38%
  • No

10 15.38%
  • Not sure

5 7.69%
  • Just checking the results

1 1.54%
    Once upon a time, Canadian design house Pixelcarve came up with a really cool concept for a sleek new Blackberry device, something they called the Blackberry Blade.

I've always been enamored of that device's clean postmodern look, which I think would set it apart from almost every other vendor in the marketplace. It also has the advantage of both a large screen AND a physical keyboard. Think of it as a high-end, far more beautiful version of the Torch.

When the concept came out, Blackberry 10 had not yet been finalized and we didn't yet know that RIM would now be called simply Blackberry, and that they would eschew physical home/end/menu/back buttons and trackpads. But those features could always be adjusted - or even left in. (I admit a personal attachment to at least 3 of those buttons' functions.)

And while its slightly curved profile might have at one time been a major challenge, today we now have bendable OLED display technology and flexible Gorilla Glass, eliminating those challenges.

Would you buy one?

More articles and photos:

Toronto design agency renders stunning concept of the "BlackBerry Blade" | Digital Trends
    BlackBerry Blade: a BlackBerry 10 phone that's too hot to be true! | CrackBerry.com
    BlackBerry Blade concept looks sharp | Ubergizmo

Would you buy a "Blackberry Blade" device?-bb-blade_small_02.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a "Blackberry Blade" device?-bb-blade_small_01.jpg  
    gordo51, Mecca EL and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-04-13 09:28 PM
    As an owner of a palm pre, pre 2, pre 3, and now a z10, I would be very interested in such a device. love the slider cause it's the best of both worlds. You have the touchscreen, and can bust out the keyboard when you need it and don't lose half the screen to type like you would with a virtual keyboard.

Posted from my Z10.
    05-04-13 09:31 PM
    As an owner of a palm pre, pre 2, pre 3, and now a z10, I would be very interested in such a device. love the slider cause it's the best of both worlds. You have the touchscreen, and can bust out the keyboard when you need it and don't lose half the screen to type like you would with a virtual keyboard.
    My thoughts precisely.

I bought the original Pre, returned it because I concluded the OS wasn't fully-baked yet, but IMHO this design puts almost anything I've ever seen to shame in terms of looks, and has all those practical advantages as well.

The keyboard would have to be carefully engineered, since by default a 'flat/thin' keyboard isn't going to be as nice ergonomically as something like the Q10. But I think it's still do-able to improve significantly on what the Torch had. Especially since people are increasingly tolerant of larger smartphones these days.
    05-04-13 09:38 PM
    I would absolutely buy one. Hell I really don't care if they are physical buttons it could still be a capacitive touch keyboard and I'd like it as it frees up screen real estate when typing

Posted via CB10 on my sweet Z10
    05-04-13 10:45 PM
    I like it. I'd buy it. I know my daughter is holding on to her Torch in hopes for a BB10 slider.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 10:48 PM
    I would love the Blade

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    05-04-13 11:53 PM
    I wonder how usable such a curved touchscreen would be. Your fingers would have to track the curve of the screen while "hovering". Swiping or dragging vertically, flicking a list etc would be more difficult. And as for typing on a curved on-screen keyboard...
    05-05-13 03:25 AM
    As an old 9800 user; I have a bit of nostalgia for the slider. I don't think most would go for it because of the curving screen; however there are enough BB users that would jump on an OS 10 slider the same way there are those who held out for the Q10.
    05-05-13 03:32 AM
    I wonder how usable such a curved touchscreen would be. Your fingers would have to track the curve of the screen while "hovering". Swiping or dragging vertically, flicking a list etc would be more difficult. And as for typing on a curved on-screen keyboard...
    IMO the curve is the least important aspect of that design.. I'd buy that phone a heartbeat even if it was flat. The key is how thin it is.. it's basically as thin or thinner then the current z10, including the pop up keyboard! Now that's the phone for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 08:21 AM
    I love the concept and would love a slider running BB10, but as far as the curved design goes no thank you. How often do you use one finger to type while your phone is sitting your table or desk, with a curved phone this won't happen. It needs to be flat, cool idea but bot practical at all.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 and gyubok like this.
    05-05-13 08:31 AM
    It is so funny the way this design keeps getting brought up and despite people being eager enough to moan about the battery life on current bb10 devices, people are still more than happy to ignore the fact that there is no room in that design for a reasonable battery.
    Innovatology and gyubok like this.
    05-05-13 09:24 AM
    I love the concept and would love a slider running BB10, but as far as the curved design goes no thank you. How often do you use one finger to type while your phone is sitting your table or desk, with a curved phone this won't happen. It needs to be flat, cool idea but bot practical at all.

Posted via CB10

Exactly this. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    05-05-13 09:27 AM
    It is so funny the way this design keeps getting brought up and despite people being eager enough to moan about the battery life on current bb10 devices, people are still more than happy to ignore the fact that there is no room in that design for a reasonable battery.
    Exactly my thoughts. That and I'm not sure how the balance would feel with a device that long when trying to type on the keyboard.

On the other hand - i love the sleek look of that design. I just don't think it's practical.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 09:32 AM
    I wouldn't be interested. I like that there are no buttons on the Z10 for anything other than power and volume, and if any were going to be added, I would only want a dedicated camera key. As for keyboards, I am going to have to wait until I get to try a Q10 to see if I would even be remotely interested. After using full touchscreen keyboards for the last 4 years, I'm pretty sure I would have no interest in a physical keyboard, but I was also sure prior to the Z10 that I would never have any use for a BlackBerry.

Regarding the size, give me a device the same size as the Z10 with much smaller bezels, a bigger screen, a bigger battery, a better camera, and a more powerful SoC. I want hardware parity with the newest flagships on other OSes, because that will grow the installed user base and offer a better UX, but also because I want to see how well the best mobile OS could utilize better hardware.
    05-05-13 12:50 PM
    Nope wouldnt buy one as i loathe sliders as a whole, i had the very first torch and i took it back for a refund.

Just couldn't get on with it as i found it top heavy when you had the keyboard out.

Saying that the blade concept is sexeh.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 01:34 PM
    Portrait BB10 slider? YES
    Curved? MAYBE
    Not really sure how practical the curve really is. I think manufacturing costs would send the selling price through the roof. Others have mentioned issues with battery placement and I agree. I believe there are batteries that could fit into that design, I am just not sure I could afford them. Also, I keep mine phone in my front pocket not my back one. That curve could poke and rub me in all the wrong places.
    05-05-13 03:18 PM
    I would go for a BB10 slider, portrait, full Z10 resolution in a heartbeat. I love the physical keyboard and I want the best of both worlds
    . I don't care about thinness, or weight. So bring it on.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 03:53 PM
    I don't understand why people insist it needs to be flat. I would have to try it in person to be sure, but I can't imagine that that gentle curve has any negative impact on usability - might even improve usability. Now a CONVEX device, where you slide up and your finger loses contact with the screen - I can see that being problematic.

While on the subject of true fantasies - what I *really* want is to completely do away with the need for on-device keyboards at all, physical or on-screen. What I really want is a holographically-projected keyboard, a-la Minority Report style.

Would you buy a "Blackberry Blade" device?-ku-medium.jpg

Would you buy a "Blackberry Blade" device?-8043838849538138.jpg

There are already pilot engineering projects for that. Maybe even one of these Leap Motion things, ready to be shipped to customers in July, though it's just a user interface to an existing display:

Leap Motion: The 'Minority Report' Interface Is Now Real - Forbes
    Leap Motion to bring Minority Report Motion-Based UI to Smartphones - Mobile Magazine

Here's what the guy that designed the Minority Report UI is working on these days:

Mecca EL likes this.
    05-05-13 05:11 PM
    I have had a Curve and a Bold 9900. Keyboard on both a bit different. Both good, just a bit of readjustment and getting familiar with the physical difference of the keyboard layout. I like the Blade and would get one of these BB10 sliders. Big screen and keyboard like other posters have said. Best of both worlds.
    05-21-13 04:20 AM
    I would buy it hands down and keep my Z10 as a spare... if that's the design... I am gonna keep it...

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 04:31 AM
    If one thinks the design is good ,but battery life is marginal, get spare battieries and a charger or 2 , and deal with it. I do that with my 9900. I'm happy. We want a small slim device with awesome battery life, battery technology will catch up to our expectations.
    05-21-13 04:33 AM
    If one thinks the design is good ,but battery life is marginal, get spare battieries and a charger or 2 , and deal with it. I do that with my 9900. I'm happy. We want a small slim device with awesome battery life, battery technology will catch up to our expectations.
    05-21-13 04:40 AM
    In my opinion, the BlackBerry blade is the best looking phone ever designed. Period.

So that's a yes!

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, fanatical and mapsonburt like this.
    05-21-13 06:40 AM
    Would buy it too. Looks very beautiful and the option big screen and physical keyboard is awesome!
    05-21-13 09:55 AM
    I would instantly buy it. I held onto my Torch for so long because I kept hoping for a new slide device. Now my zed is perfect too thanks to the awesome on screen keyboard, but this blade phone, I couldn't resist..

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 12:25 PM
34 12