I am noticing that there are some important OS7 features that are missing from the current PlayBook OS. Considering the PBOS lays the foundation for BB10, what if certain elements (cuurrently missing) don't show up right away and take multiple versions to show up? Will the BlackBerry faithful still remain...faithful?

For example, notifications. They are good but not nearly as detailed as they are in the Java based OS. Being able to tweak each app with a certain number of vibes or differentiate notifications from different addresses. And most importantly for me, Sound Profiles. Will these come back or are we forced to use volume keys like Android and iOS?

The biggest one for me is app integration. I love how from within a given app in the Java OS, I can do so much and apps can interact with each other. Vlingo on the BlackBerry smartphone is easily one of the best examples. I can be in the Facebook app, press and hold my convenience key, dictate, and have the text spit out into the text field. Now, with the PBOS, each app seems to be in its own little sandbox, like iOS where it is not allowed to play with others.

Finally, I know this is a small one, but I really enjoy having the weather icon on my Storm2 change as the weather updates. I don't have to click on an app to see current weather. I just turn on my screen, and can see the current temp as well as the forcasted Hi and Low for the day.

For me, I will have to let time tell. There is no doubt that I will find a way to pick up the newest device shortly after it becomes available. But I am one who believes the devil is truely in the details. For me, OS5,6,7 and their "details" are what keep me hooked on BlackBerry.

Final answer? Yes, I am betting that I will love it.
    03-23-12 01:24 PM
    Notifications they are working to improve, but keep in mind prior to all of the different type of alerts on a phone, the Playbook has only 4 types. App alerts, E-mail, Calendar/Tasks, and Video chat. The Phone adds significant more to this and I am sure you will see some level of customization there.

Super Apps are in the plans for BB10.

Live icons I would also like to see, there isnt really a reason they cant do this.
    03-23-12 01:28 PM
    Yes this is what I was thinking. The OS7 features need to be there. If it's another slab with a pretty OS then I might as well buy android.

The PlayBook is way behind on notifications and app integration or even things like customers dictionary etc. All this better be there on the phone otherwise the RIM faithful would not buy it and the iOS and Android people are already not buy BBs. Would make for disappointing sales figures.
    03-23-12 01:41 PM
    I'm actually siting on the fence about this. I've been thinking about it for quite some time. I mean it really depends on what key features are missing. If it is nothing crucial to my needs, BB10 is definitely in my consideration.

My reason is purely psychological. The legacy java BBOS doesn't have my trust completely. I know this is completely irrational, as my Bold 9900 has never gave me any problems. But i get the feeling that the OS is so delicate that if i do something wrong, apps not installed properly, the entire OS will crumble. I keep checking my memory to see if there are any leaks, checking the settings to make sure they are still the way i left it. An old fear brought forward by my previous Bold 9000 perhaps. (Plus my OCD of course)

On my PlayBook, however. I get the feeling that this is a robust OS (other than Android app player). That i would abuse it, and it will still work. I use it without fear, without much care even. I feel free to abuse it. This sense of robustness is something that i just can't find on my 9900.

That aside, i'm hoping that once BB10 hits, it will do everything BBOS 7 could, and more. If not, they will be under the fire again. For "releasing a newer product that could do less than their previous device", "one step forward, two steps back". I hope that with Thorsten at the top, he will make sure that this does not happen.

Or even if it does not have certain key features, i'm sure it wil be patched up by OS updates. But then people will say things like "too little too late".

RIM has to really give it everything for BB10, and i think they know it too. I'm expecting great things from BB10. And also hoping that RIM doesn't disappoint me.
    mithrazor and ubizmo like this.
    03-23-12 01:58 PM
    Notifications they are working to improve, but keep in mind prior to all of the different type of alerts on a phone, the Playbook has only 4 types. App alerts, E-mail, Calendar/Tasks, and Video chat. The Phone adds significant more to this and I am sure you will see some level of customization there.

Super Apps are in the plans for BB10.

Live icons I would also like to see, there isnt really a reason they cant do this.
    I would disagree. Every app can have its own and on O7 you could still customize its alert. And now, if the third party app is not running, no notification. That is a issue for me.

EDIT: ...about the fact that there are only 4 notifications that is. Also, what qualifies as a Super App? Has that ever been outlined?
    Last edited by gkl; 03-23-12 at 03:56 PM.
    03-23-12 02:26 PM
    I had to switch to iPhone for work, and have been missing Sound Profiles and all the notification customizations ever since, and planning my return to Blackberry when BB10 comes out mostly for that reason. If BB10 doesn't have them, there will be very little if any reason to switch back. That would be a deal-breaker.
    03-26-12 11:59 AM
    My reason is purely psychological. The legacy java BBOS doesn't have my trust completely. I know this is completely irrational, as my Bold 9900 has never gave me any problems. But i get the feeling that the OS is so delicate that if i do something wrong, apps not installed properly, the entire OS will crumble. I keep checking my memory to see if there are any leaks, checking the settings to make sure they are still the way i left it. An old fear brought forward by my previous Bold 9000 perhaps. (Plus my OCD of course)
    That's interesting. I have somewhat the opposite sentiment. The java BBOS may be a bit kludgy, but I have this feeling that it's relatively bulletproof. Maybe that's because I haven't encountered any really serious OS issues.

In response to the OP, I'm inclined to agree that one of the attractions of BBOS is the way that apps can be embedded in the OS, though certainly not all apps do or need to. For example, when the FileScout app is installed, if I have a particular file (a photo, video, or mp3) selected within the native media browser, I get the option to "Explore with FileScout" in the system menu. Or I can have QuickLaunch put a screenshot option in the system menu, so I can use it from anywhere. Or there's the "MenuBattery" app that adds the battery charge level to the system menu. I'll miss this functionality if it's not in BB10.
    03-26-12 12:11 PM
    I'm quite concerned about BB10 for reasons beyond notifications.

I'm not a BB fanboy (though friends and family claim I am simply because I still use RIM products). I use BB still for a few practical, work related reasons.

1. Profiles - use this daily.
    2. Free/busytime lookup in calendar entries - I have to setup and rearrange team meetings many times/day and this is critical
    3. BB Mobile Conferencing - I'm on conference calls all-day long, often from my car. I've checked on iOS/Android message boards for an equivalent - there isn't one.
    4. Notifications.

Also, STABILITY. As much as I love my PB, I would toss it if I had to actually "rely" on it. The RAM management on PB OS is horrible (to put it kindly) with constant app closures or non-starts. My 9810 is a rock.

There are also the little things, like attaching multiple files of any type to an email from anywhere (e.g., after you've started writing the email, from the file manager, from the pictures list, etc) that you don't have in the same way on other platforms.

If the reasons/differentiators listed above are not there in BB10, then there's absolutely no reason to go to it. A "different" UI with less functionality, including nothing that competitors don't have, is no reason to buy the product.

I'm worried about it.
    03-26-12 12:24 PM
    My concern is the fact that the Playbook still will not do all the BB phones will do now. Don't get me wrong, I love my Playbook and OS2 was a giant leap forward. We need to see more PB updates to catch the PB up with the BB phones features and maybe we will have more confidence in the future BB10.
    04-08-12 07:20 PM
    i am still on os6 but i here where your coming from. the main thing i want in bb10 is the ability to install and delete apps without a reboot
    04-08-12 08:55 PM
    I want the bedside mode to be there. I want the notifications to be at least as good as BBOS. Sound profiles need to be there. Has to have BBM. If it doesn't have the good things that make a Blackberry a Blackberry, then it isn't a Blackberry.
    04-08-12 09:06 PM
    Many of these features will also be there in the BB10 phones, the playbook is only a beta
    04-08-12 11:11 PM
    I just got a PlayBook a few days ago and i must say, i find it slow compared to my 9900, everything opens faster on it, contacts, messages, clock, facebook app etc, every app opens instantly on the phone. And i do miss the menu button a lot.

I love the PlayBook for what it is, it complements the BB perfectly, but i wouldn't use a BB with the current PB OS. Too slow for me.
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-09-12 03:13 AM
    bb10 should be a superset of the features present in os7. Let them add what ever they want. But please do not remove anything however useless it may seem to rim.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 05:00 AM
    I'm not worried in the least. I'm in the process of jumping from OS5 to OS7 and the difference is huge. But one thing i noticed is that the core of the OS is still there. what it can do has only gott'n better. So that being said the jump from OS7 to OS10 i think is going to be the same. Some new additions and fine tunes but the core is still going to be there.

I understand that PBOS2 is a stepping stone for BBOS10 but i feel that the PB is still going to be a complementary device and not a stand alone upon BB10 launch. I might be wrong with the PB faux-G coming out shortly, it might give us everything we want and be 100% stand alone, but until the faux-G is launched with BB10 in it to make it the same same as the phone it will always be a sidekick while the phone is the hero.
    04-09-12 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD