I'm hoping there's some killer hardware next year. Snapdragon 805 and I want a thin phone without sacrificing battery life.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 12:13 PM
    Not sure really what you're looking for from a practical perspective. I don't think poor hardware is BlackBerry's problem.

Posted via CB10
    joejuck, Boodrew, eldricho and 4 others like this.
    12-22-13 12:19 PM
    They are prioritizing cheap accessible bb10 phones first. High end isn't their priority until they punch a whole through the emerging markets.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    12-22-13 12:23 PM
    I totally agree about hardware not being BlackBerry's problem. You have to keep in mind, the hardware that is used for all of the present line BlackBerry handsets was only built in the way that they were was because the company that used to build Black Berry handsets were told exactly how to make them. Black Berry could have had amazing hardware like a lot of the other cell phones out there, but it was someone telling them "NO" it is not needed. They were very capable, only they did not think it was necessary to keep up with the joneses.

Anyone could build a great phone, if they do not have strict guidelines in which to build it. All of the parts are out there and available for anyone. It's the people on the other end that are at fault and not the person building the phones
    12-22-13 12:27 PM
    You will most likely see more affordable BlackBerry 10 devices with better quality control.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-22-13 12:29 PM
    By then 10.2.1 will be released and the OS will feel at its mature stages in comparison to launch 10.0.0

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    12-22-13 12:32 PM
    By then 10.2.1 will be released and the OS will feel at its mature stages in comparison to launch 10.0.0

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    Unless, of course you are on Verizon, then I am sure there will be some awesome features left out or some things that do not work as intended as they have the tendency to not release the best O/S compared to some of the leaks or some of the other carriers
    12-22-13 12:37 PM
    Unless, of course you are on Verizon, then I am sure there will be some awesome features left out or some things that do not work as intended as they have the tendency to not release the best O/S compared to some of the leaks or some of the other carriers
    People should forget about getting updates through their carrier if that's the case. That's why Sachesi exists to get someone else to do the job.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    mundo472 likes this.
    12-22-13 12:48 PM
    Just saying, they need to step it up. The security and keyboard is why I stay. Although those are amongst my top needs, the shortcomings are frustrating me.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-22-13 12:55 PM
    Just saying, they need to step it up. The security and keyboard is why I stay. Although those are amongst my top needs, the shortcomings are frustrating me.

Posted via CB10
    This would require a deal with Qualcomm. They aren't favoring BlackBerry on the chip sets. It frustrates you that the processing and gpu power isn't the best?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    12-22-13 01:00 PM
    Built from China means cheaper hardware price.
    12-22-13 01:05 PM
    Better component pricing and lower manufacturing cost should allow BlackBerry build phones with higher specs at higher end and lower prices at lower end.

Z10, 10.2.1.1259... what app gap?
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-22-13 01:14 PM
    Better component pricing and lower manufacturing cost should allow BlackBerry build phones with higher specs at higher end and lower prices at lower end.

Can't wait to see what comes out of it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    12-22-13 01:16 PM
    Foxconn deal has nothing to do with better phones. They're a manufacturer and will build what you pay for. Higher spec parts cost blackberry more money.

The Foxconn deal is scaleable manufacturing without the risk of over producing like they did on the z10. Things will cost blackberry less if Foxconn has what they need in house and used for many different devices. Ex a webcam used on other models not related to blackberry.

Means cheaper overall devices in a retail setting.
    12-22-13 01:17 PM
    Yes it does. Let?s play this out:

Let's say LG and BlackBerry 's product managers both identified that the next gen smart phones need Octo cores and 3.0GHz to stand out in this market in the Sept. Of 2014. But BlackBerry product manager predicts that they can sell 2M a month, and scale down 10% per month for about a year. LG predicts that they can sell 3M a month, initially goes up 5% per month for about 3 months and then goes down 10% per month for a year and a half.

So BlackBerry manager think they need to buy 10M chips in the initial purchase from Qualcom to fill the demand, while LG needs 20M. So they talked with Qualcom and BlackBerry gets a pricing of $30 per chip while LG get $20.

This process goes the same for camera, GPU, flash memory, PCB, etc, which ends up making BlackBerry 's next gen device 50% more expensive than LG's at the concept stage.

Then BlackBerry 's product manager say to himself, this concept is not working at all, so he asked Qualcom what's the most powerful chips that costs $20 per chip, Qualcom say that that would be their current flagship chip, which is a year behind in technology but because the volume is high in the market right now and the yield is up with the matured manufacturing technology, so the manufacturing cost is significantly lower than their next gen chips.

BlackBerry product manager says great, that's what we are going to do then.

So a year later, BlackBerry 's new flagship is out with one year old specs once again..

eldricho, CDM76, Donvald and 2 others like this.
    12-22-13 01:49 PM
    No I just expect the android apps to run better if that's the route their going with it.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 02:04 PM
    Yes it does. Let?s play this out:

Let's say LG and BlackBerry 's product managers both identified that the next gen smart phones need Octo cores and 3.0GHz to stand out in this market in the Sept. Of 2014. But BlackBerry product manager predicts that they can sell 2M a month, and scale down 10% per month for about a year. LG predicts that they can sell 3M a month, initially goes up 5% per month for about 3 months and then goes down 10% per month for a year and a half.

So BlackBerry manager think they need to buy 10M chips in the initial purchase from Qualcom to fill the demand, while LG needs 20M. So they talked with Qualcom and BlackBerry gets a pricing of $30 per chip while LG get $20.

This process goes the same for camera, GPU, flash memory, PCB, etc, which ends up making BlackBerry 's next gen device 50% more expensive than LG's at the concept stage.

Then BlackBerry 's product manager say to himself, this concept is not working at all, so he asked Qualcom what's the most powerful chips that costs $20 per chip, Qualcom say that that would be their current flagship chip, which is a year behind in technology but because the volume is high in the market right now and the yield is up with the matured manufacturing technology, so the manufacturing cost is significantly lower than their next gen chips.

BlackBerry product manager says great, that's what we are going to do then.

So a year later, BlackBerry 's new flagship is out with one year old specs once again..

That being said,I think Foxconn buys more chips than anyone else and they have the best price out there.That's why the deal makes so much sense.BB will be able to compete with the latest teck because it is available thru Foxconn ,at a price that wasn't there before.It's all good.
    12-22-13 02:37 PM
    I don't understand the general publics hangup on hardware specs, if you have an octo core cpu but the OS and apps are not optimised to use eight cores whats the point of having and paying a premium to have an eight core cpu? Bragging rights?

Forgetting how Foxconn treats its workers, they are the largest electronics manufacturer in the world so they have the bulk buying power to get the best hardware at the cheapest prices so quality phone builds won't be a problem.
    12-22-13 02:37 PM
    Its probably more about getting a better price rather than better hardware.

The big problem is the market rejecting BB10 rather than the hardware.

This isnt so easy to fix.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    12-22-13 02:57 PM
    Its probably more about getting a better price rather than better hardware.

The big problem is the market rejecting BB10 rather than the hardware.

This isnt so easy to fix.
    I bet you Perella Weinberg brokered the deal,as they hired them when BB.was for sale.This is going to turn BB around.Big Buisness.Buy some stock and sit on it,but wait till it goes back to 6,because it will.Be patient and don't worry if you can hold for a couple of years.lol
    12-22-13 04:03 PM
    Didn't Chen say on cnbc that Foxconn will build the low- and mid-range devices only?

I personally don't care if my phone has a single, dual, quad or whatever-core, as long as the os and software on it work without laggs. But for the majority (or average consumer) it seems to be cool to have the latest and greatest specs - the big names like Samsung, LG and HTC made it all about specs. If you take a brochure of a one of the German electronics markets you'll see a few phones and, except for the iPhone, every phone is presented with the specs.
    In the end this is / will be a problem for BlackBerry. People look at the brochures and see the droids with the quad-cores and the Z30 with it's dual-core - what do you think is more attractive?
    Nobody cares if the os is optimized for or can take advantage of a quad- or octa-core cpu as long as they can say 'look mine is bigger and has 3 points more on benchmark xyc' - regardless if the app drawer on the same device laggs as hell.
    As BlackBerry wants to refocus on enterprise I guess they don't really care for that.

The question is if the enterprise market has the same interests. I don't think so. They need durable, good quality phones to an affordable price. And that's were Foxconn comes in. They offer a cheaper production with better quality control (as said before), through which BlackBerry will be able to offer cheaper phones.

Mr Chen said that he wants Foxconn to do the hardware design, which will lead to the use of components already used in other phones. Will it be the latest and greatest? I don't think so. It will be mid-range hardware, maybe quad-core, but nothing super special.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 06:01 PM
    I don't understand the general publics hangup on hardware specs,
    It's a American thing, same reason why Diesel engines aren't prevalent here. Screw efficiency, I want to stomp on the gas and go!

Z10 10.2.0.1803 via CB10
    12-22-13 06:49 PM
    I don't think we will see the high end phones cheaper on our end. It'll be the same price but the margin grows for BlackBerry. Bb10 will be cheaper so they profit off producing a cheaper phone but the price we see wont reflect that unless of course it is specifically for the low end. Which they would not mind taking a lower margin.

Red Zed 10
    12-22-13 07:41 PM
    It's a American thing, same reason why Diesel engines aren't prevalent here. Screw efficiency, I want to stomp on the gas and go!

Z10 10.2.0.1803 via CB10
    I'd say Ford has made some decent inroads into the bigger is the only way to faster perception with their 'ecoboost' strategy (an electronically controlled turbo essentially). However they do have an army of dealers very willing to tell you why an optimized engine is better than just a larger engine.

BlackBerry no longer has anyone on their side to explain why higher specs are not necessary if your OS is properly designed. On the other hand, Samsung et al. Have a massive amount of resources to keep reinforcing the simple perception that a larger number is better than a smaller number.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 08:34 PM
    All I have to say to all of this is, it would be really nice to be able to keep a BB phone for longer then 2 years if need be and not have to upgrade to another phone because the specs can not compete with all of the more graphically intense applications and what not that developers are coming up with nowadays. This I will say is why Apple has the upper hand as you can still receive updates to the software and even some of their older handsets are able to run them, flawlessly. I think this is something that BB should look at incorporating in the future. By the time we get all of the updates to make our phones absolutely flawless or as close to perfection can be, our 2 years are up and it is time to once again go shopping for another phone, without getting to utilize the phones fullest potential for a long period time.

This is why I am glad I am not locked into a contract and will start purchasing my phones from third parties.

I do think John Chen is a smart guy for doing things the way that he is going about things so far. I actually feel better about BB then I have in a while
    12-22-13 08:44 PM
79 123 ...