Hi,

i just wanted to know if there is some option/hack/app which can acutally deactivate WiFi Access when the Phone is in Holster mode?

Thanks
    Patrick
    06-10-13 01:52 AM
    Not that I'm aware of. Why would you want such an option?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 05:54 AM
    Because Wifi sucks power when idle compared to cellular.. Surprising, but true...

WiFi Deactivate when in Holster-img_00000263.png

The graph above shows the power consumption with just cellular on vs wifi also turned on (the middle, steeper portion of the plot).. This was taken on my device as it sat in "sleep mode" for most of the day (I took in off the charger in the morning, closed the magnetic flip cover, which triggers sleep mode and disables the screen, and left the house to run a number of errands, then when I pulled out the phone several hours later to check my messages, I realized that I had left the Wifi enabled (I usually turn off wifi when I leave the house because of the battery drain), I turned it off. You can see the difference in battery use with and without wifi.. Cellular data was still enabled in both cases..

I'd love the capability to geofence wifi operation (ie automatically turn it on and off when in certain area, eg home or office vs on the road) or failing that, a more effective sleep mode that really makes it go to sleep when in the holster (comparable or better that the cellular drain rate)

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 06:41 AM
    That is only true in some circumstances. At home using cellular data is far more power hungry than Wi-Fi. This is also in line with BlackBerry recommendations.

My boss's android turns off Wi-Fi when the screen blanks and it drives him crazy. I've thought of writing a good fence application, but running the GPS would be worse, and in some locations cell site locations are tens of kilometers out.

OS 10.2 will provide headless applications and a geo-fence API. Maybe you'll see an application come out then.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:42 AM
    This feature is great for battery saving reasons.

Case 1:
    - BBRY is in holster, WiFi deactivated (manually), every time i need to look something i turn it on when i put it out (at work i only put it out from holster when called or approx every hour) -> battery time with evening surfing/facbook/emails 4 days

Case 2:
    - BBRY WiFi always on in holster, checking every hour -> battery time 1 1/4 days

On my Nokie E6-00 WiFi is only activated when needed, for example when checking mails in interval or i started a browser/something network related. So i get battery times of 6-8 days.

So i see a good reason to activate/deactivate WiFi via Holster or some other automatic.
    06-12-13 08:57 AM