I was scrolling through my twitter feed when I saw this: BlackBerry 10 update adds picture passwords, message filter | ZDNet I got really upset because the article doesn't provide all the new features that the update has, but what upset me the most is the last paragraph of the article, which in my opinion, is not relevant at all!

What do you guys think?

Post via my AWESOME Q10! BBM Channel: C12140D
    01-28-14 12:11 PM
    I think it will take time for silly bloggers to fall in line with facts.

I gotta say though, where was the trashing in the article? His fault is at not being CrackBerry and telling all the details, that's all.

First comment is great though lol... Everything that's not android is native, smartguy!
    01-28-14 12:12 PM
    Meh, not going to read it. They don't really deserve more hits.

Either way, I suppose the answer to your question involves either some forms of illicit narcotics, or defunct or disproportionately minuscule genitalia.

Mmm...CB10! Just the tip though...
    01-28-14 12:15 PM
    The last paragraph of the article:

Once a smartphone giant, BlackBerry has lost ground to iPhones and Android devices and its BlackBerry 10 handsets have not generated the excitement the company had hoped for; while it still has loyal enterprise customers, the company it has seen its marketshare tumble.

I agree w/ OP. Mr. Ranger did not list all the improvements & features of the update nor whether these were good or not, but felt it necessary to include a polite "BlackBerry is dying" comment at the end. I emailed him about that.
    Centerman66, Morty2264 and edu3110 like this.
    01-28-14 12:19 PM
    I think it will take time for silly bloggers to fall in line with facts.

I gotta say though, where was the trashing in the article? His fault is at not being CrackBerry and telling all the details, that's all.

First comment is great though lol... Everything that's not android is native, smartguy!
    Did you read the last paragraph?

01-28-14 12:35 PM

Once a smartphone giant, BlackBerry has lost ground to iPhones and Android devices and its BlackBerry 10 handsets have not generated the excitement the company had hoped for; while it still has loyal enterprise customers, the company it has seen its marketshare tumble.

I agree w/ OP. Mr. Ranger did not list all the improvements & features of the update nor whether these were good or not, but felt it necessary to include a polite "BlackBerry is dying" comment at the end. I emailed him about that.
    I tweet him about it as well. So far, I'm still waiting for an answer.

01-28-14 12:36 PM

I see nothing but a stated fact. Their market share has tumbled or is still.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-28-14 12:45 PM
    I see nothing but a stated fact. Their market share has tumbled or is still.
    How does OS update features has something to do with the last paragraph?

01-28-14 12:50 PM
    Bloggers aren't going to list unannounced features. They probably don't even use Blackberrys and just are going off press releases. One would wonder whether Blackberry will ever announce the Android compatibility feature if they can't guarantee full compatibility. There are probably legal problems with announcing a feature that only works 90% of the time.
    01-28-14 12:58 PM
    How does OS update features has something to do with the last paragraph?

They could have omitted that part or maybe its for people who don't really know who or what they are? But yes they could have said bbry once a smartphone giant that has been troubled for some time.

Is that better?
    01-28-14 12:58 PM
    They could have omitted that part or maybe its for people who don't really know who or what they are? But yes they could have said bbry once a smartphone giant that has been troubled for some time.

Is that better?
    In my opinion it shouldn't be there at all.

01-28-14 01:01 PM
    Just goes to show it is how you "tell" the facts... not the facts themselves... we have seen posts that only tout the FM radio fearture.. rather mockingly I might add.... It is the features not included in the articles such as the Znet, Endgaget and Tech Crunch that give the impression that this just is another failure by Blackberry... Expect this to continue, especial in the US market.... hard to disprove something when someone this it is otherwise...
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-28-14 01:14 PM
    The last paragraph is the absolute truth. Something that this update might actually help fix. To bad BB themselves isnt even promoting some of the actual biggest features of the update. They have to find a way to get the word out of the android app progress. So far they havent even had a peep about it really

You want the official list of stuff that is new in the 10.2.1 update from BB themselves?

• BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2.1

• Optimized battery life with new monitoring options and indicators
        • BlackBerry� Priority Hub with more ways to organize and prioritize, so you can stay focused on mission critical things.
        • Call management options so you can respond on your terms, even by email/BBM/text
        • Cost management tools to manage roaming and data usage
        • Groups can be created for SMS and email for more efficient broadcast communications.
        • Lock Screen Notifications are now actionable, so you can respond to important messages more quickly or discreetly.
        • Picture Password for quick unlocking
        • Offline Browser Reading Mode lets you save the current web page for later viewing, even if you are offline.
        • FM Radio does not require any network connection so can you listen to local FM stations (BlackBerry� Z30, BlackBerry� Q10 or BlackBerry� Q5 smartphone)

That is it. Keep that in mind when you decide to say how horrible the news sites are at listing all the new and great features.
    kbz1960 and Tre Lawrence like this.
    01-28-14 01:17 PM
    Not saying it isn't the truth. Just saying it was unrelated to the article subject material.
    01-28-14 05:00 PM

What I think is any blackberry is dying is an article from a financial advisor or firm. Things like that are irrelevant in a tech article talking about an update.

It just throws more gas in the fire

You are now in my Bingo Book
    01-28-14 10:09 PM
    Here is the author's reply to my tweet
    Why is zdnet.com always trashing BlackBerry?-img_00001577.png

01-29-14 09:15 AM
    Nothing wrong with the article at all. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-29-14 09:26 AM
    Journalism is a strange thing. In terms of writing articles, the whole point of posting something is to get views. The more views, the more revenue the site gets. With blackberry stories, they normally won't get any traffic if it's just a nice little story about what's now in the update and nothing more. BB10 just doesn't have that much relevance, so most sites have gone the way of bashing the OS in hopes some people will complain and spark more interest through ranting and arguing. It happened with windows phone before the Lumia phones caught on.

When more people start to see that this OS update adds true value to the phone, the tone of these stories will start to change.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 09:33 AM
    Nothing wrong with the article at all. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Posted via CB10
    Do you think that the last paragraph goes with the article?

01-29-14 12:35 PM
    The problem being that you seemingly want the article written the way you want it written, which is an unreasonable request unless you own said publication.
    01-29-14 12:43 PM
    You know, there IS a way to voice the stats objectively without ruining the entire article; or without bashing the crap out of the product.

What's wrong with saying "Once the smartphone giant, BlackBerry is currently on the dawn of a new era: re-inventing the company and focusing on hardening its strength as an enterprise." It's still fact, but it doesn't mess up the entire tone of the article. Wasn't that article meant to list the updates of the new OS? Why did he need to add this paragraph at all?

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 12:50 PM
    Because they can. There are still millions of people who think that BlackBerry is finished. And it will take all that Chen and the new executives skill to turn that perception around.

Z10 on Telus
    01-29-14 12:52 PM
    You know, there IS a way to voice the stats objectively without ruining the entire article; or without bashing the crap out of the product.

What's wrong with saying "Once the smartphone giant, BlackBerry is currently on the dawn of a new era: re-inventing the company and focusing on hardening its strength as an enterprise." It's still fact, but it doesn't mess up the entire tone of the article. Wasn't that article meant to list the updates of the new OS? Why did he need to add this paragraph at all?
    See, this is the problem. The bolded portion is not fact; respectfully, it borders on romantic opinion.

The proof is in the results. We can hope for change, and believe in the moves, but until measurable changes occur, the dearly wanted good press will not be forthcoming.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-29-14 12:57 PM
    There's nothing wrong with the article, including the factual end, which as the dude said is reasonable context to end the article.
    All in all quite a positive piece.
    I honestly don't know what people expect.
    01-29-14 01:05 PM
    See, this is the problem. The bolded portion is not fact; respectfully, it borders on romantic opinion.

The proof is in the results. We can hope for change, and believe in the moves, but until measurable changes occur, the dearly wanted good press will not be forthcoming.
    I don't really see how it's opinion, as the company IS trying to re-invent itself and trying to focus on its strengths as a corporation; which is what many corporations do.

Either way, thanks for your comment.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 01:06 PM
31 12