I, personally, don't see the point. Before anyone gets all heated, this isn't a troll article. I'm looking for some solid insight.

With keyboards and the original customer base of the company (the fraction of the smartphone users still using a legacy device) being the focus of this Chenpire, the touchscreen based OS really has a questionable future, IMO.

The back gesture is rendered effectively redundant with the return of the dedicated back key.

Swipe for a menu? Why? Press the BB button.

Swipe up? Useless. Press the end call key.

Redo the tool belt? And risk alienating your customer base that's afraid of change? Not a chance. I understand it's been proven efficient and effective so why bother fixing what isn't broken?

I personally think the use of the Classic to ease people into the BB10 system really won't work. They'll expect one thing, be surprised, expect the exact same thing they had before, be frustrated, and leave once they get the chance. The people still holding out for a phone with a trackpad et al. are likely not going to enjoy BB10 since it's not the same as what they had before. It's completely new and absolutely fantastic. But it's new. New is scary. Learning 'new' is especially scary for some.

All the effort made in designing an OS for a full touchscreen device seems like a waste of R&D at this point. The consumer market will likely completely slip away once the Classic launches and BBRY likely isn't going to be too concerned.

Why not piece together the good parts of BB10 and reboot the legacy OS? It just seems like they're trying to remodel a brand new, touchscreen OS for a keyboard device based on hardware that was likely not at all considered during development.

Am I the only one that has a bad feeling with this toolbelt revival?

Posted from my TARDIS!
    dejanh and Shadowyugi like this.
    04-23-14 09:08 PM
    Because there are still people on this earth that don't want to worry about an OS that is so vulnerable to being hacked. That's why!

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-slammed-...lkA1ZJUDM0N18x

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    04-23-14 09:19 PM
    because it is awesome! I didn't reach beyond the header because whatever followed was undefended able.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 09:21 PM
    The 9900 had a touchscreen too.
    I, personally, don't see the point. Before anyone gets all heated, this isn't a troll article. I'm looking for some solid insight.

With keyboards and the original customer base of the company (the fraction of the smartphone users still using a legacy device) being the focus of this Chenpire, the touchscreen based OS really has a questionable future, IMO.

The back gesture is rendered effectively redundant with the return of the dedicated back key.

Redo the tool belt? And risk alienating your customer base that's afraid of change? Not a chance. I understand it's been proven efficient and effective so why bother fixing what isn't broken?

I personally think the use of the Classic to ease people into the BB10 system really won't work. They'll expect one thing, be surprised, expect the exact same thing they had before, be frustrated, and leave once they get the chance. The people still holding out for a phone with a trackpad et al. are likely not going to enjoy BB10 since it's not the same as what they had before. It's completely new and absolutely fantastic. But it's new. New is scary. Learning 'new' is especially scary for some.

All the effort made in designing an OS for a full touchscreen device seems like a waste of R&D at this point. The consumer market will likely completely slip away once the Classic launches and BBRY likely isn't going to be too concerned.

Why not piece together the good parts of BB10 and reboot the legacy OS? It just seems like they're trying to remodel a brand new, touchscreen OS for a keyboard device based on hardware that was likely not at all considered during development.

Posted from my TARDIS!
    04-23-14 09:53 PM
    It really still is early days. Seriously, they have to invest in better frontline staff training, and better marketing. I walked into a phone shop yesterday and asked about a Z30, and the rep said I'd have to pay the extra $10 / month for bis. They have just been given nothing.

I understand why they don't market the phone now, but they should be marketing the brand anyway, as it's mind share value is rubbish right now.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 09:54 PM
    I wouldn't bring back the entire tool belt. I'd have a touch sensitive track pad, think Origami Browser, and at most the phone on off. I'm not to keen on the tool belt returning myself but if it sells, BlackBerry could use it.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 09:58 PM
    I don't reminisce on the days of spinning hour glass, snails pace browser and battery pulls. I'm quite happy with new os.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 10:24 PM
    The problem with the keyboard and the trackpad is the real estate that is taken up on the phone. If your platform is going to somehow survive on selling only 10 million phones per year then they really need to have the same screen aspect ratios. You can't have half of your phones with square screens and the other half of your phones with rectangular ones. It makes everything that developers do twice as hard.

What do you think all those coveted Android apps are going to look like on a 1:1 screen if the Android developers who designed the UI never considered a square screen? If you fragment your already small platform like that then you're going to have to expect a lot of clunky problems with the UI like buttons that are off of the screen or screens that are shrunken down and impossible to read.
    04-23-14 10:34 PM
    They can bring forward all the features that people loved about the BB7 phones, and introduce those to BB10, without going back to the totally obsolete underlying foundation of BB7.

I'm hoping the Classic can be the best of both platforms. I understand that more people buy BB7 phones every single day than BB10 phones. That doesn't make BB7 a viable platform for the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    dejanh likes this.
    04-23-14 10:39 PM
    They can bring forward all the features that people loved about the BB7 phones, and introduce those to BB10, without going back to the totally obsolete underlying foundation of BB7.
    The problem is that you can't just bring features along to a new platform. Every feature has to be rebuilt. Every software project like this is constrained of resources. The wish list is a mile long and most features aren't going to make the cut, especially, if you are laying off your talent and downsizing your development. The exact same thing happened to Palm when they switched to webOS. People complained about all of their favorite features that were added to Palm OS over more than a decade that never made it to webOS when it counted when it was launched into iPhone and Android.
    04-23-14 10:43 PM
    I think with the "classic" releasing later this year is going to be a big big flop. They have to be careful on how they tweak the OS for that phone. I'm thinking that if you are in the home screen, the trackpad and home button will render useless. The "toolbelt" will only be active when reading or composing messages. But as far as navigating through the OS, the toolbelt won't be responsive.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    04-23-14 11:39 PM

Posted from my TARDIS!
    No, you are not the only one. The launch of a keyboard device with function keys gives me plenty of worry. It seems contrary to the entire philosophy of BlackBerry 10, and it seems like a completely unnecessary throwback to a legacy design and functionality that will do nothing to help the company. It may bring over a handful of users, but that will be it, just a handful. The same users will, as you state, complain about the experience of BlackBerry 10 and likely abandon the platform at the first opportunity. In the meantime, the legacy of BlackBerry 10 will be perceived as a failure that implies that a gesture based UI does not work. Of course, Apple will in the meantime release their own twist on gesture based OS and that will seal BlackBerry's fate. Gesture based OS is here to stay, but it is very likely that BlackBerry won't be behind it.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    04-24-14 12:07 AM
    I don't reminisce on the days of spinning hour glass, snails pace browser and battery pulls. I'm quite happy with new os.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. BBOS showed it's aging core years ago. Combining the fluidity, reliability, and speed of BB10 with the comfort of BBOS is going to be difficult - very difficult. That's what the Classic (I presume) is going to attempt to do. It's dangerous and likely to fail due to the complete difference between the two OS.

The problem is that you can't just bring features along to a new platform. Every feature has to be rebuilt. Every software project like this is constrained of resources. The wish list is a mile long and most features aren't going to make the cut, especially, if you are laying off your talent and downsizing your development. The exact same thing happened to Palm when they switched to webOS. People complained about all of their favorite features that were added to Palm OS over more than a decade that never made it to webOS when it counted when it was launched into iPhone and Android.
    All the time that it'll take to port everything over is time I'm afraid they may not have

Posted from my TARDIS!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    04-24-14 12:28 AM
    Blackberry should just put BB10 on ice since it is not going anywhere now. Get the Classic out and return to BB10 afterwards if there is still a need for it.
    04-24-14 01:08 AM
    Do you ever wonder why so many pick on BlackBerry whom happen to believe the company has been dead for years?
    It's because they know the potential of BB10 and consider BlackBerry a threat in the future.
    If BlackBerry was not a threat, you'd hear nothing.

BB10 will evolve and BlackBerry will be on top again. So young with so much potential. The truth is coming out and the tide is turning for this company. You can't hide brilliance forever.