While I don't dispute that, that is arguably a smaller and decreasing by the day segment of users. The trackpad had it day but it has for the better past. Every single bb10 user I have spoken to that came from the legacy devices expressed a wish for that belt- until they used the new UX and realized how much better it is. But again, I mean real use not looking at it or watching someone else with it.

The point I'm making here is that the desire for that belt by legacy users is because it is a familiar habit, much like a smoker who once quits needs something to put in their hand to fiddle with when they get the craving.

Reality check: how many Android / iOS people do you really think will drop their device for a trackpad?

Posted via CB10
    Reality check: This device is not intended to convert Android and iOS users. That is what the Z30 and Z10 are for. And even those who want a keyboard, that is what the Q10 and the Q10's successor is for. The Q20 is a separate category for BB power users...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Oddsocket and iamagod like this.
    02-26-14 10:16 AM
    A virtual toolbelt defeats the whole purpose of a toolbelt. Believe it or not, there is a faction of BlackBerry users (mostly Legacy users) who want physical buttons to answer/deny/hang up phone calls without having to look at their phone. And while copy/paste has become easier with software upgrades, the accuracy of a trackpad cannot be beat.

Apologies for repeating myself to some, but others do not read thread prior to posting.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    I know how you feel man. I end up copying and pasting my own comments more often than I would like...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-26-14 10:18 AM
    In case some of you hadn't noticed, I moved the thread to general. While some may want physical function keys and trackpad (and I understand that), adding a virtual belt to all existing and future BB10 phones, won't take anything away from current phones, and just might be a feature that could help BlackBerry with sales. I know it would enhance my user experience.
    02-26-14 10:57 AM
    Or why not just add the "BELT" keys along the bottom of the bezel like the Torch had them... That way you won't lose any screen size and still have your buttons to feel..... It's nothing but wasted space along the bottom anyways. Then they could also implement the finger ID into it as well as I seen requested a few times as well.

And Wulffy, only reason it would help your user experience is because I can imagine using a paw to gesture could get tiresome

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-26-14 11:59 AM
    Or why not just add the "BELT" keys along the bottom of the bezel like the Torch had them... That way you won't lose any screen size and still have your buttons to feel..... It's nothing but wasted space along the bottom anyways. Then they could also implement the finger ID into it as well as I seen requested a few times as well.

And Wulffy, only reason it would help your user experience is because I can imagine using a paw to gesture could get tiresome

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    You're pawssibly right.

On a serious note, I believe the internals are such, that just throwing the keys on the bottom won't work. They'd have to make more space there.
    02-26-14 12:03 PM
    Totally agree. If it were an option I feel it would please both Z and Q camps.

Posted via the Magic that is Z30
    02-26-14 12:26 PM
    LA LA LA LA
    LA LA LA LA
    Hey hey hey
    I'm Last

Z10
    02-26-14 12:42 PM
    Totally agree. If it were an option I feel it would please both Z and Q camps.

Posted via the Magic that is Z30
    This whole Q20 is an option for folks. Maybe BlackBerry can also develop an app for virtual function keys for those who have phones without the physical function key?

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    02-26-14 12:46 PM
    agreed with virtual "belt"

Blackberry Q10
    02-26-14 12:53 PM
    Would defeat the purpose of bringing those buttons back.

The users BlackBerry is doing this for, know how to use a 9900, which has 4 physical buttons and a trackpad. There is nothing that BB10 can't do, that the buttons offer.

The buttons are to make the transition to BB10 easy for stuffy business people.
    This is not a correct assessment. The buttons are there to provide quicker and more efficient operation. The trackpad, too. There is no function that a physical button and a virtual button share that is not more efficient to perform with a physical key.

And some are impossible. Such as ending a call from within a different application.
    02-26-14 01:21 PM
    This is not a correct assessment. The buttons are there to provide quicker and more efficient operation. The trackpad, too. There is no function that a physical button and a virtual button share that is not more efficient to perform with a physical key.

And some are impossible. Such as ending a call from within a different application.
    Untrue......

If you can do a two finger swipe from any app, then presto!
    02-26-14 02:28 PM
    Untrue......

If you can do a two finger swipe from any app, then presto!
    I'll try this out. But I suppose I'm wrong. Still, there is nothing more efficient than a dedicated button.
    02-26-14 03:46 PM
    I'll try this out. But I suppose I'm wrong. Still, there is nothing more efficient than a dedicated button.
    Everyone defines efficiency differently. To me, it's more efficient to have more screen space, till I need the function keys or trackpad, which wouldn't be often.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    02-26-14 03:53 PM
38 12