I'm relatively new to BB. I came here from WebOS/HP/Palm a month ago. It (WebOS) is an awesome OS, similar to BB10, but one of the things that killed it was lack of apps. (Besides horrible 1st edition Pre hardware that was much improved by Pre 2, Pre 3 and Veer.)
    Since coming over I have found that BB 10 is solid, user friendly, and relatively fast. But it is missing apps, lots of them. Some were available in BB7 but not BB10?? go figure?
    In the last 2 weeks I downloaded 2 of my favorite Android and WebOS apps (Android versions) of SnapChat and SmartRunner.(just for sh*ts and giggles) I loaded them, logged into them and ran them. They worked great. SmartRunner works as if it were native. SnapChat prompts me to install Google Play (that I don't want to) but touch anywhere on the screen and the prompt goes away. The only thing I am missing in it is notifications of a Snap. To get around it for now I just ask for a text along with a Snap.
    Here are my questions;
    If these two apps worked flawlessly with the BB10 OS with a simple download, how many more are out there?
    If there are many more out there, why wouldn't the authors allow them to be sold or distributed in BB World?
    Has Android and IOS bought them off? What gives here?
    04-10-15 05:16 PM
    Has Android and IOS bought them off? What gives here?
    Developers don't know if the app will work on BB10 Android emulation or not. BlackBerry currently has 0.4% market share, including BBOS devices. BB10 devices are probably about 0.2%. Not worth the effort, I think. No one is going to buy a BB10 device just to test his Android app on it. Android emulation is given to BlackBerry users "as is". If the app you are interested in works - congratulations, If it doesn't - sorry.
    04-10-15 05:49 PM
    But BlackBerry should be testing the most popular apps and going to the developers to release them on BlackBerry World no?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 06:05 PM
    But BlackBerry should be testing the most popular apps and going to the developers to release them on BlackBerry World no?

Posted via CB10
    They did.

Blackberry has even offered to fully build and maintain the apps for them.

The Devs simply don't want to support the platform.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 06:08 PM
    Then test the apps and just publish or leak what ones work. Eventually word should get out that many apps work on BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 07:07 PM
    Eventually word should get out that many apps work on BlackBerry?
    Many Android apps work on BlackBerry, but they work better on Android devices.
    04-10-15 08:32 PM
    Many Android apps work on BlackBerry, but they work better on Android devices.
    But in almost all cases (if not all) they are only porting android apps, not using native BlackBerry API. It's real shame because in my opinion native BlackBerry apps works much more slicker than ios and android apps...

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 08:42 PM
    It's real shame because in my opinion native BlackBerry apps works much more slicker than ios and android apps...
    Every single native app I have on my BB10 device has better alternatives for Android, from Calculator to Blend. No single exception.
    04-10-15 09:34 PM
    Every single native app I have on my BB10 device has better alternatives for Android, from Calculator to Blend. No single exception.
    So explain me why android apps are better? Faster ui, more intuitive menu? Maybe some kb shortcuts? Oh wait, what kb :-) have you found some alternative for BlackBerry Hub?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 09:48 PM
    So explain me why android apps are better? Faster ui, more intuitive menu?
    Example - Google Maps vs BlackBerry Maps. Can you even compare the two apps?

- more choice, you can find the app that works best for you
    - good free apps, on BlackBerry World you pay for almost everything that works
    - many popular apps not available in native form for BB10
    - many "native" apps on BlackBerry World are actually old Android ports
    - Android apps work faster and more fluid on similar hardware Android devices
    - many Android apps are better designed and pack more functionality
    - better support, more frequent updates (BlackBerry World is mostly abandonware)

Maybe some kb shortcuts? Oh wait, what kb :-) have you found some alternative for BlackBerry Hub?
    If you like physical keyboards, BlackBerry is your best option. It comes with some major inconveniences though:

- just few devices to chose from, all overpriced, only one with modern hardware
    - smaller or square screen (no Android app is optimized for 1:1 screen)
    - media doesn't look good on 1:1 screen, large black borders
    - no native support for wearables and periferals, hit and miss situation
    - limited apps choice (BB10 offers limited Android compatibility only)
    - issues with multi language support with phisical keyboard
    - virtually no customization options on BB10
    - limited choice with accessories

Hub is good, but kind of blast from the past. Google Inbox is coming soon and looks much more interesting. And keep in mind that most people don't like to have all communications in one place, so no Hub alternative is really needed.
    Last edited by vbdwork; 04-10-15 at 11:14 PM.
    04-10-15 10:59 PM
    Vbd you make no sense.
    You say for every native app there's a better android version
    Then you compare google maps to BlackBerry maps...
    Google maps isn't a 'better version ' of BlackBerry maps. It's it's own app, this is a terrible comparison
    04-10-15 11:30 PM
    Google maps isn't a 'better version ' of BlackBerry maps.
    Every single native app I have on my BB10 device has better alternatives for Android
    Alternatives, replacements, something that does the job better.
    04-11-15 12:07 AM
    So explain me why android apps are better? Faster ui, more intuitive menu? Maybe some kb shortcuts? Oh wait, what kb :-) have you found some alternative for BlackBerry Hub?

Posted via CB10
    More programming resources and talent?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 12:17 AM
    Example - Google Maps vs BlackBerry Maps. Can you even compare the two apps?

- more choice, you can find the app that works best for you
    - good free apps, on BlackBerry World you pay for almost everything that works
    - many popular apps not available in native form for BB10
    - many "native" apps on BlackBerry World are actually old Android ports
    - Android apps work faster and more fluid on similar hardware Android devices
    - many Android apps are better designed and pack more functionality
    - better support, more frequent updates (BlackBerry World is mostly abandonware)

If you like physical keyboards, BlackBerry is your best option. It comes with some major inconveniences though:

- just few devices to chose from, all overpriced, only one with modern hardware
    - smaller or square screen (no Android app is optimized for 1:1 screen)
    - media doesn't look good on 1:1 screen, large black borders
    - no native support for wearables and periferals, hit and miss situation
    - limited apps choice (BB10 offers limited Android compatibility only)
    - issues with multi language support with phisical keyboard
    - virtually no customization options on BB10
    - limited choice with accessories

Hub is good, but kind of blast from the past. Google Inbox is coming soon and looks much more interesting. And keep in mind that most people don't like to have all communications in one place, so no Hub alternative is really needed.
    Why I have to compare BlackBerry Maps with Google Maps? I can run both on my PP. BTW BlackBerry Maps works pretty well in Poland.
    - as for app choice: I've been using iPhone for 6y, I've got a wide spectrum of apps, at some time even wider than at Play Store. I've ended up using regularly 3-4 non-default apps. All of them works perfectly on my PP, so what's your point? Some games don't work. Some android apps which want to mess up with your OS or your HW don't work. I can live without it.
    - paid apps I've chosen are really worth it's price. I'm spending more on booze monthly than I've ever spent on all apps I've purchased at BlackBerry World. In return I've got no ads, no spying, just what I've paid for.
    - it would be nice if more native apps will be available but we're living in world we live in. There aren't as much BB10 users as iOS or android users or even WP. Developers won't be investing and in apps they couldn't profit from. Apps market is a b****.
    - android ports are not as good as native apps but they still works.
    - as for your remaining points, I agree. A lot of apps wasn't updated for months or even years. A lot of android apps works faster due to better optimalization (BlackBerry android runtime works fine but not great). Android apps have a lot of functionalities, but I don't see even one I use, that isn't available on BlackBerry version.

As for your comments considering BlackBerry devices:
    - less hw means more optimized OS (best example - iOS), at this point spec aren't so important. It's true that my PP works better than my colleague's Z10, but still Z10 works really great.
    - and for what you really need other screen ratio? Videos? Games? PP screen is as wide as Sony Z Ultra, at the same time it's a lot smaller. BlackBerry pkb devices are designed as communication devices, not focused on media consumption. If you can't live without youtube, you can use one of full touch devices (old Z10, still very good Z30 or new Leap). For playing movies or tv show I'm using my retina macbook or tv, I prefer bigger screens... I'm not using glasses and I want to stay that way at least for a while :-)
    - wearables are mostly (if not all) toys. Have you met businessman talking to his watch or caring about how many steps are from his desk to his car? What other peripherals are you taking about? BT devices? NFC? I really wonder what usefull device my BlackBerry doesn't support...
    - agreed, if you google-services-dependent then you are really screwed when you go BlackBerry. I'm not so, besides few region dependent apps, I've found all crucial apps at BBWorld.
    - I have no problem with Polish language and I'm pretty sure that it's not very popular/well supported on other platforms (for example Siri).
    - if you think that customization means "looks" than you're right. You can rearrange your icons, change wallpaper and lockscreen and some other minor things but it's all. Some 3rd parties offer more but I still like clean default BB10 looks. Other than that - you can modify a looooot, I still haven't checked out most of the settings.
    - I have no problems with finding a case and screen protector, and I live in Poland, where PP is available almost exclusively as unlocked device.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 01:16 AM
    @vbdwork

HUB - blast from the past??? Do you know what are you talking about???

Not so long ago Microsoft chalenge all smartfon users on: how many gestures do you need to do this or that!?
    BB10 will win in all aspects! I with my Passport for sure.

Posted via CB10
    howards likes this.
    04-11-15 03:29 AM
    Why I have to compare BlackBerry Maps with Google Maps?
    Because you asked why Android apps are better. Google Maps is just an example. Better looking and more functional Android apps are available for Clock/Alarm, Weather, Calculator, Browser, Pictures Gallery, Text Messaging, File Manager, Video/Music Player, YouTube, Camera, GPS navigations, Remote Access... unfortunately not all work well on BB10. Android apps for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Forsquare, Waze, etc. popular social media are better too, more refined, fluid and with more features. We don't even have BB10 support for some and rely on 3rd party solutions. What about Skype (only old Android port is available on BlackBerry World) or Viber? Both are quite popular communication tools.

It's true that my PP works better than my colleague's Z10, but still Z10 works really great.
    Passport is the only BB10 competitive device. Everything else is 2-3 years old hardware technology. Specs are important, especially when you run applications through emulation. I still have the original Galaxy S phone, released mid 2010. It is currently loaded with JellyBean 4.2.2 custom ROM. This 1GHz single core device with 512MB RAM runs Android applications in a very similar way like my Z10 with 1.5GHz dual core CPU and 2GB RAM, and SGS has no Android compatibility issues. This is basically what we have with legacy BB10 devices - 2010-2012 performance level. For some people it's OK, but for most it's not.

HUB - blast from the past??? Do you know what are you talking about???
    All I'm talking about is my personal opinion and experience.
    04-11-15 10:18 AM