Its very simple. I have been on Instagram for 2 years and as photographer its an important app for me to have and use for exposure. I have close to 20,000 followers which is not easy to just throw away..
    What's your account. I'll check out your work.
    02-06-13 10:28 AM
    Let's not forget that big name apps are an important vote of confidence for the platform. A potential BB buyer may have no interest whatsoever in Instagram or Netflix, but having them on-board tells that person "hey, if Instagram is supporting BB10, maybe BlackBerry ISN'T going out of business and I can have some faith that my phone won't be unsupported in 6 months"
    02-06-13 10:36 AM
    Same reason AOL, ICQ, MSN, Myspace are necessary - 'till they're not.
    Personally I don't use it, but I know people who do, mostly sending pictures of what they had for dinner etc...
    02-06-13 10:44 AM
    Because Facebook took it over for $1-billion, 'nuff said.
    02-06-13 10:46 AM
    +1 with the OP. Don't understand the hype. (oh look, I'm watching TV right now, and a Blackberry advert just came on! "built to keep you moving" apparently )
    02-06-13 02:33 PM
    Having an Instagram client on blackberry is fundamental in order to attract back the younger generation who have abandoned blackberry for other devices like the iPhone and Android phones. It's like not having a facebook app on your phone.

Whilst there might be people here who do not see the need to Instagram bear in mind that you do not represent all consumers. There are many apps I could do without yet they are very important to someone else.
    02-06-13 02:59 PM
    The smartphone buying public has made it a highly utilized app/service. I personally am not thrilled by the idea of the service and detest that instead of pictures showing up in Twitter I now see instagram web links, but many people use and it would be a barrier for many people hooked on the service to migrate over. You could say the exact same thing about Twitter and Facebook, and the response would be the same.
    02-06-13 03:22 PM
    I really want this app on BB10. I have no idea why, or what the appeal is, but it's clearly a must have. That said...

It's the social network thats why. It's the BBM of photos sharing, because unlike Facebook, you can check out and like/comment on random people's photos, as well as people you follow/friends with. Find people that are into the same things you are via #hashtags. It's not just filtered photos.
    So, it's exactly like Twitter then...?
    02-06-13 03:33 PM

Twitter is like Facebook but only status updates. I understand that it may be streamlined and what not... But I don't see the point at all
    This is crazy. Back story, I thought social media was so stupid until Twitter. Twitter is the only one I use, and you can use it for everything. Twitter is like the newspaper, thats the best way to explain it. I find out all the news, events, from around the world instantly, it just makes life easier having all different feeds come into one "hub". Then you can use it at as a mini journal with coments or post pics of whats going on in your own life, if you want too, use it for everything. Thats just my ten cents, but Twitter is 9000 times more usefully then most social media or maybe better phrased a higher class of social media, again just my opinion. I actually have two accounts, one private one for just my friends, and a public one that I can coment and discuss things with the world. We have an the OG Instagram its called Twitter haha.
    polytope likes this.
    02-06-13 03:50 PM
    Thanks. So... I get my own Instagram "page" where my photos get uploaded to and others can see my photos there? Since Instagram is owned by Facebook, they are competing with themselves in the social network space?

How many places do I people need to store and share pictures. Jeez! I have Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Picasso, Flickr, SnapFish, PhotoBucket.... Sometimes contraction through acquisition is necessary.
    Let me explain how I use it.

I belong to several forums for several different interests. On these forums I don't use my name nor do I divulge personal information. Because of this, I don't link to my FB nor to my Twitter.

Because these are forums where we share a common interest, we share photos. Example, on the golden retriever forum I share pictures of my golden retriever such as the one below.

On the border collie forum I share pictures of my border collie such as the one below.

Now, just like you might have absolutely no interest in my dogs, there are people who have absolutely no interest in phones other than just a thing to call someone on. Believe me, there are outside people like that. So why subject my Twitter friends d my FB friends with millions of pictures of border collies and golden retrievers when there are targeted groups who ARE interested in seeing a million pictures of my boys?

So...I maintain a distance from people to whom I don't want to give access to my social network sites but with whom I share interests. It is much more than simply filters, it serves as its own stand alone social network.

(and the pics were a blatant opportunistic showing off of my boys.....sue me.)

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Why is Instagram so necessary?-uploadfromtaptalk1360187203151.jpg   Why is Instagram so necessary?-uploadfromtaptalk1360187323947.jpg  
    02-06-13 03:55 PM

I belong to several forums for several different interests. On these forums I don't use my name nor do I divulge personal information. Because of this, I don't link to my FB nor to my Twitter.

Because these are forums where we share a common interest, we share photos. Example, on the golden retriever forum I share pictures of my golden retriever such as the one below.

On the border collie forum I share pictures of my border collie such as the one below.

Now, just like you might have absolutely no interest in my dogs, there are people who have absolutely no interest in phones other than just a thing to call someone on. Believe me, there are outside people like that. So why subject my Twitter friends d my FB friends with millions of pictures of border collies and golden retrievers when there are targeted groups who ARE interested in seeing a million pictures of my boys?

So...I maintain a distance from people to whom I don't want to give access to my social network sites but with whom I share interests. It is much more than simply filters, it serves as its own stand alone social network.

(and the pics were a blatant opportunistic showing off of my boys.....sue me.)

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    No matter how many times you explain it, some people will never get it. Cute dogs btw!
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    02-06-13 04:00 PM
    I don't use instagram, I barely even know what it is, so I may be misinformed on this, but can one not just log into instagram on the browser, and use it that way without any need for the app? Actually for a lot of things that have apps I prefer using the actual website, rather than the pared down version that an app usually offers
    momofteme likes this.
    02-06-13 05:00 PM
    Furthermore I have heard that facebook / instagram are developing an app for bb10
    02-06-13 05:00 PM

Because these are forums where we share a common interest, we share photos.
    So why subject my Twitter friends d my FB friends with millions of pictures of border collies and golden retrievers when there are targeted groups who ARE interested in seeing a million pictures of my boys?
    Ha! Now that makes sense. Thank you for understanding that not all of us are trying to simply be contrarian when we ask what it is, we simply want to know what it is. Granted, for the above example, I'd probably just make a public folder on dropbox or something, but at least that's a very good reason to use it instead of Facebook or Twitter. May even be worth getting an account, if for no other reason than to make sure I get a good username, just in case I ever want to use it.
    02-06-13 05:46 PM
    Its a social app.BB suppose to be socially connected it should have all the top social apps this is one of them.

Everyone has their different needs for it.
    02-06-13 06:13 PM
    The only person I know who uses Instagram posts their pictures on Facebook and then tells everyone to go to Instagram to look at them. I can't quite figure that one out.
    I know several people like that (mainly girls); it literally creates a "middle man" because when they do that it ends up opening another tab on your browser (or app if on phone) and takes you away of what you're doing just to view the pic. ...again, if they want their facebook friends to see it then why not upload it directly???...this dumbfounded practice alone has made me hate this instagram thing and wouldn't care if it never came to bb10.
    02-06-13 07:34 PM
    I'm in my 30's, so I am not young and not too old. I am very tech saavy, but can someone please explain to me why Instagram is being constantly mentioned as being necessary for BB10? You take a photo with a camera, add some effects, and upload it to a website. You can then share it with Facebook, Twitter, ETC. Unless I am being dense, can't you do this with many other apps? Even the built in photo app in BB10? I currently have an Android phone and can do this with any # of apps not named Instagram.
    it's not, but people are sheep
    only kidding.
    i dont get it myself, but its the same as why people demand coca cola, but wont have cheap cola
    xweb10 likes this.
    02-06-13 07:40 PM
    Having an Instagram client on blackberry is fundamental in order to attract back the younger generation who have abandoned blackberry for other devices like the iPhone and Android phones. It's like not having a facebook app on your phone.

Whilst there might be people here who do not see the need to Instagram bear in mind that you do not represent all consumers. There are many apps I could do without yet they are very important to someone else.
    I have a friend that abandoned blackberry because iphone had a better facebook app...(girls are truly weird)...i know once the z10 comes out (she still has no idea) she'll come back to us. ;p
    02-06-13 07:47 PM
    For those that don't understand the Instagram craze, try reading qbnkelt's comment up top. She hit the nail right on the head.
    02-06-13 07:51 PM
    Not sure if this has been said in this forum yet...but I noticed today that the instagram.com website is updated...and if you access it via the Z10, it looks exactly like the app..it allows you to view photos people have posted that you follow and you can even comment on those photos from the website
    02-06-13 08:00 PM
    Why is instagram so necessary? It's quite simple really. It's all about increasing the customer base and sales.

Regardless of the merits (or lack thereof of instagram) and why so many people use it, the fact is millions of people DO use it, and use it often. It's like social network crack for teens and early 20 something's. These potential customers really won't consider switching to a new device unless that device has it as well. So if Blackberry wants to lure people from their iphones and androids, they need to have the apps people are using. And right now one of those apps is instagram.
    02-06-13 08:28 PM
    recently in the news, there have been issues with IG about pic ownership and privacy risk to users. I can live without IG
    02-06-13 08:31 PM
    I'm going to admit I haven't read this thread at all, so I'm just going to say:

Instagram has 100 million subscribers. Why WOULDN'T it be necessary (especially for a struggling new ecosystem)?
    02-06-13 08:33 PM
    Thank you for this great explanation. This truly gets the point across.

So, will 1% of the 100 million Instagram users move to BB10 if the app is there + the other BB10 goodness? 5%? 10%? We will have to see!
    02-06-13 09:23 PM
    No matter how many times you explain it, some people will never get it. Cute dogs btw!
    It's not about people "getting it". Myself and most people I know just share photos with each other directly through our own "social network" without need for these apps.

Some people like it and make a need for it, some think it's all just another stupid form of attention w***ing, and others are just meh. It's all a matter of taste and all should have equal space to express that opinion.
    omega supreme likes this.
    02-06-13 09:39 PM
109 12345