I think this is a priority for BlackBerry to implement. An old BB10 user who left for iOS said you shouldn't have to do this sideloading and manual updating.

I did say however at least we don't have the NSA/GCHQ doing everything for us but it did get me thinking do BlackBerry make it difficult for its customers?

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 03:01 AM
    It's not BlackBerry, it's the carriers. BlackBerry doesn't have the clout to go over their heads with updates.

Posted via CB10
    Apps have nothing to do with carriers. I'd love auto app updates.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 03:17 AM
    All about security....

Posted via CB10
    bmoney1229 likes this.
    04-18-14 03:20 AM
    Apps have nothing to do with carriers. I'd love auto app updates.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, I completely overlooked the word "app". Thanks, deleted post.

And now that we're on the same page, does iOS automatically update apps without any user intervention? I haven't seen this on my wife's iPhone. As far as I can tell BB10 and iOS both notify and await user confirmation to proceed app updates.
    04-18-14 03:35 AM
    I think this is a priority for BlackBerry to implement. An old BB10 user who left for iOS said you shouldn't have to do this sideloading and manual updating.

I did say however at least we don't have the NSA/GCHQ doing everything for us but it did get me thinking do BlackBerry make it difficult for its customers?

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    If an app isn't from BlackBerry World, it's not official, and BlackBerry wouldn't have anything to do with those apps. That's completely on the user to take care of. BlackBerry World readies updates as they're pushed to the devices, then awaits the go-ahead from the user.
    04-18-14 03:38 AM
    i think the apps auto update functionality will come in time...iOS only just implemented it after a few updates to the iOS7 so its not like its been around forever and BB has fallen seriously behind.

i hope its implemented quickly though
    04-18-14 03:41 AM
    You know how well the auto update works on windows. ;-)

I look at every update. If it isn't for security, I wait and see what other people think of the update.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 04:05 AM
    as far as I know, my gfs old iphone with ios7, never auto updated on its own. I always had to go in there and update her apps for her. my android box does not auto update either. there's an option for it (which I have checked), but the apps just sit there and wait for me to give the go ahead. so I am not sure what your buddy is smoking, or (where the above poster proclaimed) how blackberry is "seriously behind" here.
    der_mit, Thud Hardsmack and acovey like this.
    04-18-14 04:52 AM
    Have two ipads but apps do not update themselves. Maybe it's an option.

On my previous phone, which was an Android phone, I found auto updates annoying and deactivated this feature. I want to know the changes before installing updates, since sometimes app developers sneak in "features" like ads which were not there in previous versions.

If BlackBerry implements ab auto update feature I would like to see it optional and as a general option (no updates will ever be automatically installed or all updates will automatically installed) with the possibility to activate it for selected apps (which if I remember correctly is how Google did it for Android/Google Play).

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 05:04 AM
    I would like this feature as well. google and apple do this, not sure about MS but I hate having to go in and check and manually update everything. Also you better include the option to only do it over wifi otherwise they are being lazy lol
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-18-14 05:05 AM
    I would like this feature as well. google and apple do this, not sure about MS but I hate having to go in and check and manually update everything. Also you better include the option to only do it over wifi otherwise they are being lazy lol
    They do on WP8.1
    dolco likes this.
    04-18-14 05:24 AM
    I wouldn't want apps to auto update, cos sometimes you find that an app is greater then eg 100MB, yet the update doesn't actually points as to what is being updated, they only state it's "minor bug fixes". Like that to me is a waste of data, I prefer to manually update apps, so I would know what's what and where.

NB: On iOS apps don't get automatically updated unless YOU have opted for that option.

Posted via a sexy QTEN
    mkelley65 and rotorwrench like this.
    04-18-14 05:57 AM
    I like having full control over everything. I would not like it if apps just updated without me telling them too, especially if I wasn't on wifi. I think Smartphones have made people very lazy and they want their phones to do everything for them. Its nice to have these extra features but one should not rely on them all the time.
    04-18-14 08:07 AM
    I wouldn't want apps to auto update, cos sometimes you find that an app is greater then eg 100MB, yet the update doesn't actually points as to what is being updated, they only state it's "minor bug fixes". Like that to me is a waste of data, I prefer to manually update apps, so I would know what's what and where.

Posted via a sexy QTEN
    I agree. Don't mind the option being there for folks that want it, but I would never use it

STL-4. 10.2.1.2947 w/ 1259 clock
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-18-14 08:11 AM
    At least now it's fairly easy to update Android Apps using SNAP or one of the none Google Play app stores. Don't mind the notification and the requirement to manually initiate the update for native apps.
    04-18-14 08:15 AM

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I have an iPad and apps do not auto update for me. I find out updates are available when I go into the App Store and there is a number indicating how many updates are available above an Updates tab.

Perhaps there is an option for it somewhere but I would not want to ever have apps auto update. I always wait at least 2 days to see what the feedback is on the update (i.e. If it makes the app inoperable like has happened with NFL Mobile, or there are annoying new bugs which limit the apps productivity). Also as someone else mentioned, what if you don't have the storage space for the updates?

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10.
    04-18-14 08:42 AM
    Well, to each their own. I'd not want my apps to update automatically.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    04-18-14 12:16 PM
    Well, to each their own. I'd not want my apps to update automatically.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    I don't know about the other plats, but in iOS it's an option, so you wouldn't have to have it if you don't want it.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 12:17 PM
    Don't you receive notifications in the hub whenever there is an update to an app installed from BlackBerry World? Updates are offered to you directly in the hub.

STL-3 OS 10.3.0.140
    04-18-14 12:33 PM
    On my iPhone apps auto update. But I used to have an ipad and they never dud. Happened since 7.0.3

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 03:36 PM
    On my iPhone apps auto update. But I used to have an ipad and they never dud. Happened since 7.0.3

Posted via CB10
    Curious Adrie, is it an option you can turn off or on or just part of the latest iPhone OS?

04-18-14 04:14 PM
    Curious Adrie, is it an option you can turn off or on or just part of the latest iPhone OS?

Haven't actually checked but I would expect you can turn it off. I use to wake up with the apps updated around 3am when I was sleeping, over wifi. Getting rid of the iPhone though as I pretty much can do everything on my z10 now.

...Apart from creating notes simply and recording vines. Nothing major but just stuff blackberry need to keep moving.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 04:19 PM
    I agree hopefully it will come eventually. Auto-os updates came eventually, so hopefully same with apps! Although I will want to know that the app is being updated so that I know an app actually has an update

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 04:21 PM
    Haven't actually checked but I would expect you can turn it off. I use to wake up with the apps updated around 3am when I was sleeping, over wifi. Getting rid of the iPhone though as I pretty much can do everything on my z10 now.

...Apart from creating notes simply and recording vines. Nothing major but just stuff blackberry need to keep moving.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I'll probably continue holding off updating my iPad then just in case since I personally would not want apps auto-updating. I suppose having the option in 10.3 wouldn't be a bad idea, however, considering they already offer the option for auto update for OS updates.

04-18-14 04:29 PM
    I look at every update. If it isn't for security, I wait and see what other people think of the update.
    Same here - some updates are badly broken and I'm not interested in being the guinea pig.

Or as others have said, if an update seems bloated but there's no real change log, I'll skip it. I've never opted to auto-update anything on any device or platform, and never use the "update all" option. It doesn't take much to wait a couple of days and then check reviews to see if an update is actually worthwhile or will leave me hanging until its next update. I generally check updates on my devices once a week. It just takes a couple of minutes. No nasty surprises that way.
    04-18-14 05:57 PM
86 123 ...