Damn people have become very lazy...what is wrong with getting a prompt re updates and then deciding whether you want to or not?
    mendez777 likes this.
    04-18-14 07:12 PM
    I just did an update last night to windows. I totally forget my rule to never let windows update anything other than MS windows. The update messed up my USB. It took a little time to correct. I've had MS update do worse.

Remember the rule: never let MS windows update anything other than windows. If you see it has an update for a driver, you go to the manufacturer's website and get the right driver yourself. MS update screws up often.

Sometimes MS update can't even update windows property. It truly is terrible.

Sometimes updates to "free" apps are just to add more commercials, so read the comments fire.
    04-19-14 01:08 AM
    Good thing BlackBerry does NOT autoupdate. If they did, Candy Crush wouldn't work...the updated version doesn't work...I've tried it and had to load an older version to play again...

Trusted Member Genius
    mendez777 likes this.
    04-19-14 01:10 AM
    I do prefer to update manually but would like the option of "Update All" like IOS offers when there is multiple updates.
    04-19-14 08:11 AM
    I do prefer to update manually but would like the option of "Update All" like IOS offers when there is multiple updates.
    "Update All" option is also available in BB World. See
    Why don't apps auto update like they do in iOS?-img_20140419_141333.png

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    04-19-14 08:15 AM
    I don't want it to automatically update as in a BlackBerry, you can't move apps to the sd card! And I don't want my apps to take space

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 08:19 AM
    It would be a good option to have though one i would never use.
    04-19-14 08:37 AM
    I like getting updates, seeing what's changed, I wouldn't want auto updates

Check out the official IWIK BBM channel C002FA57C posted via Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2141
    04-19-14 08:41 AM
    Auto notifications that updates are available, ok, but I would not want any app to automatically update. I'd rather choose when an update is downloaded and installed.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 08:51 AM
    I'd never want auto app update. It's not on my PC and I don't want it on my BlackBerry. I don't want others controlling my devices.

BB Proud
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    04-19-14 08:54 AM
    Auto-updates would be nice for the choice...like for myself I LOVE getting all the new updates! its like a game for me, and its fun updating and seeing the changes.

BUT...

Many people out there are not the same. My GF for example doesn't like to update her apps, she doesn't like the new style. She is on iOS and hasn't updated to iOS 7 for that reason, and now won't update apps...if the apps auto-updated for her, then many wouldn't work.

The choice is really the way to go of course.
    04-19-14 10:03 AM
    There are some people i have come to be friend with who like to manual update just so that they can read the reviews about bugs and stuffs .However it's a good option And is welcomed.
    04-19-14 10:05 AM
    I think this is a priority for BlackBerry to implement. An old BB10 user who left for iOS said you shouldn't have to do this sideloading and manual updating.

I did say however at least we don't have the NSA/GCHQ doing everything for us but it did get me thinking do BlackBerry make it difficult for its customers?

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't want them to auto update. Often with updates come issues. Once I have an app working well, I don't want to screw it up with an "improvement." I rely on my phone for communication when I travel, often in areas with very slow data, on ships at sea, and a bad app can make it impossible to use. I am talking about apps I use to communicate of course. On in particular is Skype. I run a very old Android version, it works better for me than any current offering, Android and BB10. I have tried the current offering and went back to the one that worked best.

I also do not want an update to begin when I am using the phone for something data intensive and have the update slow it to a crawl. When I am at sea, the connection is not only slow, it can cut in an out, to have an update running at the same time, it would render the phone useless. Many areas on land are slow for me as well, it just depends on the country and the area within that country.

No thanks, I'll update when and if it is necessary for me, not when someone tells me I should. This is what I like about Blackberry, I am not treated like a child, I can make my own decisions about my phone and what I want on it.
    04-19-14 10:39 AM
    Its funny to me that people will have fits when Facebook updates and makes changes without user permission, but some people want auto updates for the apps on their phone?? Personally, I do not want my apps auto updated for several reasons already stated here, but if its a non-default option I would not have an issue. People that want that option should have to select the option. Imo, its not that inconvenient to update apps after receiving a notification and making a few taps to get the updates. Even when you update several at once, it only takes a few minutes at most.
    PHughes likes this.
    04-19-14 11:32 AM
    I agree hopefully it will come eventually. Auto-os updates came eventually, so hopefully same with apps! Although I will want to know that the app is being updated so that I know an app actually has an update
    I'm sure it's not actually that hard to implement at a technical level. Don't they have a manually triggered "Update all" feature in BlackBerry World now?
    04-19-14 12:53 PM
    I think they have for quite awhile now...

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 01:55 PM
    All about security....

Posted via CB10

I have to agree. Security is definitely an issue!
    I want the choice to download updates and upgrade downloads and upload downgrades ( I'm dizzy)

It's already too easy to hack a mobile device. I don't want anything downloaded on my device without my say so!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-19-14 02:18 PM
    Damn people have become very lazy...what is wrong with getting a prompt re updates and then deciding whether you want to or not?
    It's not about being lazy, its about getting things done much faster. Isn't that what a BlackBerry is supposed to do?
    04-19-14 02:25 PM
    I personally don't want anything auto updating on my phone. It's not that much of a hassle imo to just manually run the update. I would much rather have the control of what updates and when as opposed to it going on its own.

Z10
    04-19-14 02:30 PM
    I have to agree. Security is definitely an issue!
    I want the choice to download updates and upgrade downloads and upload downgrades ( I'm dizzy)

It's already too easy to hack a mobile device. I don't want anything downloaded on my device without my say so!
    I nominate this for today's Winner of the Internets.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 02:33 PM
    It's not about being lazy, its about getting things done much faster. Isn't that what a BlackBerry is supposed to do?
    Second to being secure. In this case, secure meaning "look it over before you proceed".

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 02:33 PM
    I will chime in with all the others here - I don't want things to update without my interaction.

As a person who has done professional I.T. support for over 20 years and has worked with technology for much longer than that, I can recall much suffering as the result of silent non-user-interactive "improvements" pushed by the vendor that trashed the thing they were supposed to improve.

And some apps on my devices I don't update because I learned elsewhere before doing the update that they degraded the apps functionality with the "update". Sometimes that means took functionality away, sometimes that means they introduced bugs and flaws, sometimes it means they ask for more money to use something that used to be free, sometimes it means they ask for obnoxious new permissions on the device (Android apps are famous for this), etc etc.

I think it might be OK to have such a feature for people who want it - but by the same token I don't look forward to all the bitter recriminations after-the-fact by people moaning about how something got updated and now X, Y, and Z don't work right any more, blah blah blah.

What I don't understand about BB10 is that they have an "update all" feature that you can initiate manually - but it tries to do them all at the same time. Who was the Einstein that designed it like that? I think a lot of problems occur when the system is trying to simultaneously update a bunch of things.
    04-19-14 02:41 PM
    Always entertaining to see people invent fictional "the company is supposed to do 'X'" red herrings to justify whatever their preference-du-jour happens to be.

Personally I always thought BlackBerry was supposed to buy me a pony. I'm really disappointed they never bought me that pony.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-19-14 02:44 PM
    Windows Phone allows auto-updates and I find the option amazing. I never have to worry about waiting for an app to update since it does it in the background over WiFi (obviously there's an option to not have to wait for WiFi). If I didn't want it, I would turn it off. I don't see the big deal with it being an option and I find it a little funny that Crackberry users make fun of Windows Phone because "there's nothing that Windows Phone can do that BB10 can't", yet here we are.
    dolco likes this.
    04-19-14 02:48 PM
    ...Apart from creating notes simply and recording vines. Nothing major but just stuff blackberry need to keep moving.

Posted via CB10
    You aware that you can create notes simply in remember by pressing the magnifying glass? on home screen and typing 'note' followed by your note

E.g. - note this is a note!

Will create a note of 'this is a note!'

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 02:51 PM
86 1234