I have the BlackBerry Passport and I did a backup to test what BlackBerry was boasting about their backup capabilities. They claim they can install and run android apps but I was not able recover them through the Backup and restore process. Nowhere could I find that it said it was not possible yet it is implied Link does the job for all apps period. Totally not looking forward to going through this process when we are pulling apps from three stores and I have some custom version APK's saved in my cloud. If anyone has found a way to do this please enlighten me.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 05:34 AM
    It definitely does.

I just have installed the latest autoloader for my Z30 and afterwards I restored a BB Link backup. Including all android apps and also the app content.
    The only things, which are not restored, are passwords and the Snap app (must be sideloaded by Sachesi again).

I once had problems, when I jumped from 10.2.1 to 10.3, but since 10.3 I had no problem restoring all Android stuff.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    04-11-15 06:21 AM
    Use the "full backup" option,
    It backs up and restores the APK's

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582 on Bell with Unlimited Data
    04-11-15 06:41 AM
    Link absolutely backs up Android apps. It has for ages.

For completeness, make sure you have the latest. It can only be downloaded along with the BlackBerry Blend package.
    www.blackberry.com/blend

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-11-15 06:51 AM
    Well that is welcomed news. I guess I assumed it was not possible when I tried on my Z30 on 10.2 and Passport on 10.3. I wouldn't have known that on the latest 10.3.1 it made the difference but I am glad to hear it has. Thank you for your input and help guys. :-)
    Still not looking forward to it just because of what I had to do, purely out of fear but I'm sure it will be fine lol. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 07:00 AM
    For completeness I'll add that Snap is not an Android app but a native BB10 application. The process called sideloading is essentially what developers do to test applications, so they aren't backed up. But if you use Snap a lot this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    04-11-15 08:18 AM
    Yup I have the google play store and snap installed. Also am signed into Google Maps and have calengoo working with my Gmail account and I think Calengoo worked before doing any of cobalt's added features.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 08:49 AM
    And, I'll take that a little further.

Once upon a time, we couldn't directly install .apk sourced android apps at all. We had to find android apps that were converted to .bar files and use methods like the Chrome BB10/Playbook Extension, and put the phone in Development Mode to install such apps.

When BlackBerry allowed direct .apk installs (with 10.2.1, I believe), the extension was no longer necessary. But, to install native BlackBerry app .bar files that didn't come from BlackBerry World - like Snap - you still needed that sideloading Chrome extension. There were a few other ways, but I only used the Chrome extension method.

Then Sachesi comes along, and in the current version, you don't even need to but the phone in Development Mode anymore.

However, what gets backed up in Link is the same:

Apps installed through BlackBerry World will get backed up.

Direct installed .apk Android apps will get backed up.

Native BlackBerry .bar apps or Android apps converted to .bar and were sideloaded (either through the Chrome Extension, Sachesi, or otherwise) will NOT get backed up.

BTW, In Link, you can do a "Custom Backup", click "Configuration", wait a minute or so while it figures out what's on your phone. You can then pick "Application Data". At the very bottom, there is the option to "Include application executables". The "Show Details" next to App Data allows you to pick which app to back up if you don't want to backup all of them.

I suggest you always go that deep into it and always uncheck "BlackBerry Runtime". That is actually the Android Runtime, and anytime you update your phone, the Android runtime is updated too (usually). If you run the Restore, and the runtime is not unchecked, it will be overwritten by the old runtime in the backup and cause problems starting your Android apps.

Although, I'll say that you can also do a custom selection during the restore, so if you forget during the backup, you can still unselect during the restore.
    04-11-15 09:13 AM
    I suggest you always go that deep into it and always uncheck "BlackBerry Runtime". That is actually the Android Runtime, and anytime you update your phone, the Android runtime is updated too (usually). If you run the Restore, and the runtime is not unchecked, it will be overwritten by the old runtime in the backup and cause problems starting your Android apps.
    The BlackBerry Runtime is not the Android Runtime. It contains global android settings (permissions and some app data - like Clash of Clans backup). I agree that it is usually a good thing to not restore this item, UNLESS one of your Android apps actually require it for a proper restore (namely Clash of Clans). It will not overwrite the Android Runtime.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-11-15 09:22 AM
    The BlackBerry Runtime is not the Android Runtime. It contains global android settings (permissions and some app data - like Clash of Clans backup). I agree that it is usually a good thing to not restore this item, UNLESS one of your Android apps actually require it for a proper restore (namely Clash of Clans). It will not overwrite the Android Runtime.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Thanks for the clarification.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 09:47 AM
    Keep'em coming! That great info!! I was worried I shouldn't have opened this thread for my question and confusion but am glad I did. All your info is helpful and appreciated.
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 11:32 AM
    Yeah that's one game I loved and pretty much gave up on when I commuted from android to BlackBerry. Clash Of Clans is awesome or was I'm not going to start all over to have to loose my place again cause we don't have a GPS to let us recover if we wipe or change our devices. That sucks!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 11:37 AM