pm me for a custom made tin foil hat.... comes with pocket for your Z, sorry nothing for stl 100-1

Posted via CB10
    As always...poor stl100-1.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 12:46 AM
    fixed
    You broke it!

WHERE you're going
    HOW you're getting there
    WHAT you're listening to on the way there
    WHEN you're going to arrive there and
    WHY you're going there in the first place.

repaired!

12-23-13 02:28 AM
    Why are sensors on my phone linked with BlackBerry servers? And why they have so much control over my phone?

Anyone find that suspicious? If Android, iOS and windows being spied by NSA wouldn't Canada be doing same with CSEC with blackberries?

Posted via CB10
    They have to calibrate the sensors to compensate for drift.
    12-23-13 03:50 AM
    The funny thing is all the see is probably raw sensor data or a summarized log and a device ID. Unless you're making bombs and the device has a bomb sensor I don't see what they could figure out from it.

Edit: But they could be using the position of the sun and clouds and the light sensor to triangulate my position *puts on tinfoil hat*

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    12-23-13 05:19 AM
    The funny thing is all the see is probably raw sensor data or a summarized log and a device ID. Unless you're making bombs and the device has a bomb sensor I don't see what they could figure out from it.

Edit: But they could be using the position of the sun and clouds and the light sensor to triangulate my position *puts on tinfoil hat*

Posted via CB10
    You can run, but you can't hide! Get an old rotary phone to throw 'em off your trail and don't forget the insulation for the hat!
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    12-23-13 03:11 PM
    Thanks for noticing, and for sharing your observations and suspicions, op. I have been a BlackBerry diehard since my 8330m (I'm on a Bold now) and that's been because of security. Before someone chimes in with the usual blather about how data transmitted with a BIS BlackBerry is not any more secure than data sent with other devices over a carrier's network, I'll clarify that the security of which I speak is that of the data stored on my BlackBerry and its micro sd card. Based upon everything I've read on the subject (from BlackBerry knowledge base info, from password cracker companies like Elcomsoft's publications, and from forensic analyzer company manufacturers' like Cellebrite publications), I am reasonably sure that data stored on my legacy OS BlackBerry (with proper settings in use) is safer than data stored on a whole gamut of competing platforms' devices. The first thing I thought when BlackBerry came out with the whole "entirely new mobile os/platform" spiel was, "Will my stored data be as safe, more safe, or less safe on BB10 as it is on legacy OS?" Well, I don't have the answer to that; there's less information (that I've found), and there has been less time (that BB10 has been out) for the hackers and crackers to try to compromise a BB10 handset (i.e. the security of BB10 stored data has not been "proven" to my satisfaction).

All that said, your concerns are not without merit. I've always wondered just how entangled BlackBerry may be with the Anglo-American/Canadian/Australian espionage machine. It's not inconceivable that BlackBerry, too, is to some degree subservient to the powers that can limit its access to the various markets. As Southlander mentioned, it's entirely possible that even super-secure BES could have a backdoor. We just don't know. The carriers have always been NSA collaborators, but populations have tolerated it when it was calls only. With smartphones having become mainstream and in light of the Snowden revelations, the snooping has become particularly abhorrent to freedom loving people when taking into consideration how much private data is stored on handsets and how much of it's "shared" (transmitted) between individuals who haven't realized till recently the extent of the government snooping. Though I hope it isn't true at all, if BlackBerry is a carrier style help-the-police-and-NSA collaborator, then google/android is the sleazy private-detective-with-its-own-agenda style NSA collaborator. I'm reluctant to use and support the carriers, yet I still avail myself of their services, but the lines are drawn. My respect for and loyalty towards carriers is low due to the spying they've been doing since the '50s, and when push comes to shove, the police state collaborating carrier is on my list of enemies.

Don't be disheartened by the fools, useful idiots, and disinformation spreaders who routinely jump into these discussions with their cliche tinfoil hat replies. As was pointed out in the linked discussion (below) featuring Bruce Schneier (at approx. 59 min.), meaningful discussion on these subjects takes place on a higher intellectual level. Propagandists appeal to emotions; they use "Terrorists will kill your children" to prey on fear/emotion (to justify their snooping) instead of cool-headed logic and reason, and that's why propaganda is so powerful.

Bruce Schneier and Eben Moglen discuss a post-Snowden Internet - Boing Boing

It doesn't matter if the government thinks I'm doing something wrong. It doesn't even matter if I'm doing something wrong. My privacy as an individual means more to me than helping the government gather evidence, spot check me, or otherwise make a case against or police me. If the police officer thinks I'm texting while driving, he's welcome to charge me with the offense. He can use any evidence he lawfully obtains. I do not have to help him. Crack my phone if you have the skills, but I doubt that you do. When I lock my encrypted legacy OS Bold, you're not getting in with Cellebrite UFED equipment. I'm sure of that. The government loves to charge people with "disseminating" prohibited material. It also loves to charge people with possession of something prohibited. Others (carriers, providers, etc.) could help the government make its case with the former. With a password locked (strong password, encrypted with proper settings, etc.) legacy OS BlackBerry, it's unlikely the government or anyone else will successfully obtain evidence against you when it comes to the latter.
    vstromryan likes this.
    12-23-13 05:52 PM
    Groan.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:06 PM
    Groan.
    Which one are you, the fool, the useful *****, or the disinformation spreader?
    12-23-13 07:18 PM
    Why do I have feeling BlackBerry is spying on us?-mockup.png

Sent from the future on my Z10
    12-23-13 08:53 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mockup.png 
Views:	1002 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	232845

Sent from the future on my Z10
    last page
    12-23-13 09:55 PM
    Being christmas we had a few friends around with android phones. Had a little play with them.
    Now on my BlackBerry I can switch between bing or google or I can simply type a url or ip into the browser.
    Now can someone explain how I do this on android without everything going through google search.
    Say type 192.168.0.1 or something like that to get to my media server, smart switch, firewall router. Or just http://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=hawk-fu...bUvbUpU9763180, or enter such bookmarks?
    12-26-13 11:49 AM
    Being christmas we had a few friends around with android phones. Had a little play with them.
    Now on my BlackBerry I can switch between bing or google or I can simply type a url or ip into the browser.
    Now can someone explain how I do this on android without everything going through google search.
    Say type 192.168.0.1 or something like that to get to my media server, smart switch, firewall router. Or just http://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=hawk-fu...bUvbUpU9764681, or enter such bookmarks?
    Are you looking to go to http://192.168.0.1 rather than performing a Google search for the IP Address? If so just put the http:// prefix. If you have identified google's servers in the trace route then this would be more intriguing.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 06:30 PM
    well spoken. i heard some of those things. can you send me some more info to my email account? am also a staunch blackberry user.
    02-09-14 04:11 AM
    In today's world we are being spied on....whether its through technology or street cameras, or as now in the UK, all GP records being sold to private medical insurance companies etc. There is an opt out for that, in writing to your GP, but A/...not many know its happening and B/....whether that opt out will be noted is anyone's guess. With any sort of income related welfare the gov ageny dealing with that....the DWP in the UK...have access to our bank transactions etc.

On my Z10 location is turned off, BB Protect is turned off, and data being sent to BB is turned off. Fortunate maybe that I don't leave the house so don't need location etc....but Id far rather have my phone spied on and not be housebound.

But then I'm someone who still treats a phone as I did back in the day, when it stored nothing but contacts. And I bet most reading this thread have their contacts linked to Facebook, Twitter etc .....all easy to hack.
    02-09-14 04:50 AM
    I truly do hate this type of answer. Maybe some of us grew up in a time when "having privacy" was assumed and maybe it's still important to some of us.

If you have nothing to hide why make a big deal about it??

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 10:47 AM
    Well I'm sorry but you now live in a time where there isn't so much privacy. So I'm sorry but you either adapt to do and try to secure you're self or just don't worry about it.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 06:24 PM
141 ... 456