So I was sitting in Tim's figuring out how to use the Timmy's Me app and realized I needed to upgrade my OS for it to work. No worries, after all at Tim's I get excellent wi-fi reception, unlike at home where it's okay, but a little jumpy. So I decide to download the OS while I'm sitting there with my coffee reading a book. It downloaded, installed, and my Timmy's Me app was working fine. Then I almost had a heart failure when my data counter informed me that I'd just used over 700 MB of cellular data! I'd double-checked my wi-fi connection, and in looking at my data counter I discovered that during that downloading period I had been using wi-fi for other apps, so it was connected. Does downloading an upgraded OS require cellular access? I only have 500 MB of data a month and have never before come close to using it all. Any explanations as to why this happened?
    ~a relatively new Q10 owner

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 11:50 AM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    Please update your profile to include device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to help you.

Maybe the Tim's public Wi-Fi doesn't allow downloads at all or over a certain size.

I would call your carrier's customer service and explain it was an official OS update. Hopefully they will forgive the data usage this once.

If they won't, call back and ask for Loyalty, then ask them.
    02-11-14 12:05 PM
    Interesting.

Mine says "You are connected to Bell. This software update is too large to be downloaded over this network. Please use a Wi-Fi network instead."

My update is only 295MB.

It's also a good idea to be connected to power while doing your updates.
    02-11-14 12:33 PM
    Hmm. Curiouser and curiouser! Thanks for the quick answers. I've updated my profile (after trying to find it for a while - had to swipe down, not sideways!) and am going to re-read the Timmy's wi-fi terms and conditions. It's been a while since I did.
    ~with thanks from the Noob

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 12:39 PM
    Check to see if you are sending Diagnostic information to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 02:34 PM
    Double-checked my "send diagnostics and usage data" and it is set to 'off.'

Funny thing, though, I've been monitoring my data usage closely since this morning, and have gone back over the last few days, and there has been fairly consistent data usage even when there ought to have been zero. It is in smaller amounts, but it is there.

For example, I never left home yesterday, so all day I was in wi-fi, but I still show a total of 67 MB of data usage. I am going to contact my carrier tomorrow and hammer this out with them.

I appreciate all the suggestions. The learning curve on these things is really sharp!
    ~ Smart phone Noob

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 05:32 PM
    Double-checked my "send diagnostics and usage data" and it is set to 'off.'

Funny thing, though, I've been monitoring my data usage closely since this morning, and have gone back over the last few days, and there has been fairly consistent data usage even when there ought to have been zero. It is in smaller amounts, but it is there.

For example, I never left home yesterday, so all day I was in wi-fi, but I still show a total of 67 MB of data usage. I am going to contact my carrier tomorrow and hammer this out with them.

I appreciate all the suggestions. The learning curve on these things is really sharp!
    ~ Smart phone Noob

Posted via CB10
    Hope you work every thing out. Definitely sounds like your carrier didn't reset your data plan between months. Hopefully you get it fixed quickly.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 08:17 AM