They say they care about enterprise. Enterprise is about seeking new ideas all the time to become more efficient and better than your competitors. Phone carriers are in constant competition with each other and evolve their business strategies to keep customers interested. Now turn that round in to the business side of things and companies will use new ideas to source ideas and talent.

Closer to home I have been offered an interview with Vodafone but it's unlike any interview you may have done before. I chosen Vodafone because they always change and adapt even in the face of adversity but sometimes the same cannot be said for BlackBerry. This interview involves a completely new digital approach where they want to conduct the interview via video which is something I really like. Why has BlackBerry left it this late to finally do something to recognise this problem?

Rant over.

Why can't blackberry see the bigger picture?-img_20151007_111727.png

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 05:32 AM
    I also dont understand what BB is doing with BB10 .. No apps .. no developers ..
    I feel so frustrated getting BB10 phone in my country india ..
    For all the taxy apps .. shopping apps .. food delivery apps .. games .. tools apps .. everything is not on BB10 ..
    For every thing the situation is same .. as u have shown in your image ..
    This makes me go mad every time I see my phone ..
    10-07-15 06:02 AM
    They say they care about enterprise. Enterprise is about seeking new ideas all the time to become more efficient and better than your competitors. Phone carriers are in constant competition with each other and evolve their business strategies to keep customers interested. Now turn that round in to the business side of things and companies will use new ideas to source ideas and talent.

Closer to home I have been offered an interview with Vodafone but it's unlike any interview you may have done before. I chosen Vodafone because they always change and adapt even in the face of adversity but sometimes the same cannot be said for BlackBerry. This interview involves a completely new digital approach where they want to conduct the interview via video which is something I really like. Why has BlackBerry left it this late to finally do something to recognise this problem?

Rant over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151007_111727.png 
Views:	1201 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	374823

Posted via CB10
    I find this is happening with every aspect of my job and is making me less productive.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 06:36 AM

Rant over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151007_111727.png 
Views:	1201 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	374823

Posted via CB10
    Why ask why?

You know why. It falls on the shoulders of the original founders that thought they didn't have to change and we're complacent. M
    BlackBerry is now under new management and is trying to make change and catch up, we are all just hoping they can.

Don't dwell on the past and just hope for the future.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 06:44 AM

Very simply, Mike Lazaridis was arrogant, and was used to being told that he was always right. Instead of spending 2005 (when rumors of the first iPhone started going around) to 2009 developing an all-new, advanced OS that could blow people's minds and put BB out in front, he convinced himself that BBOS was the only answer, and by the time he was able to accept that BBOS couldn't be competitive, he'd already blown years of development time. Then, instead of adopting Android and getting product out right away (as investors and many in the tech world recommended - even CB Kevin!), before the window of success completely closed, Mike decided he was going to buy an industrial OS and use that as the foundation for a new phone OS - a process that took 4 years (BB10 wasn't really remotely competitive until v10.2.1). By then, the battle had long since moved from the OS to the ecosystem - just as people were warning Mike back in 2009.

And developers are only interested in one thing: "how big is your userbase?" Obviously for a brand-new product, there is no userbase, so the question became "how big is your marketshare?" - marketshare being the percentage of sales in the current month/quarter, which is a leading indicator of userbase.

BB was never able to deliver a marketshare percentage that made devs care about the platform - they were simply way too late and started way too far behind.

Without marketshare, you don't get developers, and without developers, you don't get apps, and without apps, you don't get marketshare. Mike put BB10 (and BB as a whole) into that very death spiral by holding on to BBOS for way too long and by failing to grasp that the iPhone changed EVERYTHING and that its paradigms were the way forward. Mike simply had no answer to the iPhone, and by the time he figured out an answer, he had lost the time window where success might have been possible.

People like to blame Thor and Chen, but it's really all about Mike, and the decisions he made years ago. By the time Thor took over, it was already too late.
    10-07-15 10:48 AM
    Very simply, Mike Lazaridis was arrogant, and was used to being told that he was always right. Instead of spending 2005 (when rumors of the first iPhone started going around) to 2009 developing an all-new, advanced OS that could blow people's minds and put BB out in front, he convinced himself that BBOS was the only answer, and by the time he was able to accept that BBOS couldn't be competitive, he'd already blown years of development time. Then, instead of adopting Android and getting product out right away (as investors and many in the tech world recommended - even CB Kevin!), before the window of success completely closed, Mike decided he was going to buy an industrial OS and use that as the foundation for a new phone OS - a process that took 4 years (BB10 wasn't really remotely competitive until v10.2.1). By then, the battle had long since moved from the OS to the ecosystem - just as people were warning Mike back in 2009.

And developers are only interested in one thing: "how big is your userbase?" Obviously for a brand-new product, there is no userbase, so the question became "how big is your marketshare?" - marketshare being the percentage of sales in the current month/quarter, which is a leading indicator of userbase.

BB was never able to deliver a marketshare percentage that made devs care about the platform - they were simply way too late and started way too far behind.

Without marketshare, you don't get developers, and without developers, you don't get apps, and without apps, you don't get marketshare. Mike put BB10 (and BB as a whole) into that very death spiral by holding on to BBOS for way too long and by failing to grasp that the iPhone changed EVERYTHING and that its paradigms were the way forward. Mike simply had no answer to the iPhone, and by the time he figured out an answer, he had lost the time window where success might have been possible.

People like to blame Thor and Chen, but it's really all about Mike, and the decisions he made years ago. By the time Thor took over, it was already too late.
    Kudos, Troy. You always provide excellent analysis.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 07:07 PM
    Yeah, "they put a Mac computer in there..." :-(

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-07-15 07:38 PM
    Looking at the Priv, the keyboard is still the same as twenty years before. As so are they -- BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    10-11-15 11:33 AM
    Op watch Chens full interview with Re/code maybe then you may see he is looking at the bigger picture.

Watch the full replay of John Chen's interview from Code/Mobile | CrackBerry.com
    10-11-15 06:54 PM
    Op watch Chens full interview with Re/code maybe then you may see he is looking at the bigger picture.

Watch the full replay of John Chen's interview from Code/Mobile | CrackBerry.com
    There is a plan, I just think BB10 could be a casualty of it. I know diehards want new BB10 phones, but we aren't large enough in numbers to make their handset efforts profitable.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 07:15 PM
    As BB is a badly damaged brand ( really does not matter why anymore )... Enterprise is a the only device market they have.. and shrinking fast... Pre Priv... the consumer market is all but dead.... matters not how good BB10 is... you have to give outside users a reason to switch... BB10 devices simply do not... as much as us diehard BB users laud the productivity, multitasking etc... Android and Iphone users simply do not care... what they have works for them...so guess what... no reason to switch... With Priv.... there is a chance to make it sell in the Android community... 5 million is not exactly a high bar... all this proves is if your brand is as damaged as BB is... most business rules are out the window... do remember... better..... does not mean a lot when people think your brand is dead...
    10-11-15 07:20 PM
    As BB is a badly damaged brand ( really does not matter why anymore )... Enterprise is a the only device market they have.. and shrinking fast... Pre Priv... the consumer market is all but dead.... matters not how good BB10 is... you have to give outside users a reason to switch... BB10 devices simply do not... as much as us diehard BB users laud the productivity, multitasking etc... Android and Iphone users simply do not care... what they have works for them...so guess what... no reason to switch... With Priv.... there is a chance to make it sell in the Android community... 5 million is not exactly a high bar... all this proves is if your brand is as damaged as BB is... most business rules are out the window... do remember... better..... does not mean a lot when people think your brand is dead...
    I agree watch the Code/Mobile interview (3min mark) Chen talks about what he see as the main priorities he needs to hit.

10-11-15 07:47 PM
    Chen isn't even running BlackBerry. Oh sure, he might be CEO in title, but the core business decisions are being made by vested interests that have no concern about BlackBerry's long term future. All they care about is ROI. If that mean scrapping the hardware division then Chen will do it.

As for the Priv, it's just an end-game plan to create some value for BlackBerry. Chen is putting in an appearance to give the illusion of direction at BlackBerry. It really is quite comical to watch just how inept and transparent he is.
    10-14-15 09:02 PM