BlackBerry seems to making the same damn mistakes as before. Why on earth would they be making more legacy devices? they should focus all their resources on making blackberry 10 better. should have brought bb10 to playbook
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    07-08-13 11:41 PM
    It's for corporations that don't have the cash to upgrade to BB10/BES10 or 9900's within BES7

Posted via CB10
    spike12 likes this.
    07-08-13 11:48 PM
    It's for corporations that don't have the cash to upgrade to BB10/BES10 or 9900's within BES7

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't BES10 an essentially free upgrade and the companies would pay for new CAL's? Also why couldn't the companies keep buying whatever legacy devices were in the pipeline?

I'd have to agree not a good idea to rehash BlackBerry legacy devices

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 12:38 AM
    One new device isn't focusing on old BBOS. It's one new device.

There was still demand and a market for it.

I'm sure we will see at least another one or two.

Posted in the pooper
    07-09-13 12:45 AM
    BBOS is mature and requires virtually no dev resources. The folks that buy this phone will have specific reasons for not wanting or needing BlackBerry 10. Expense of handsets, need for BIS and so on. And the folks handling this inside of BlackBerry will probably not be the ones that are handling BlackBerry 10 anyway. Not a loss of BlackBerry 10 focus.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Ben1232 likes this.
    07-09-13 01:46 AM
    Someone else made posted this in the comments area in the BlackBerry BBOS 9720 article on Product Design #101

Products of BlackBerry 10

Product A- BB10; The future of the business.

Product B- BBOS7;The cash cow,maintenance mode, kept relevant with no upgrade.

Product C- BBPB; The flop of the company, spend no money, comply with law of warranties and fix bugs only.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 02:04 AM
    that's blackberry..

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 02:20 AM
    BlackBerry seems to making the same damn mistakes as before. Why on earth would they be making more legacy devices? they should focus all their resources on making blackberry 10 better. should have brought bb10 to playbook
    Look, I can tell you're bu++hurt over the canceling of the BB10 upgrade on the PB. Not happy about it myself, but if you're comparing the business case of introducing a new phone on a legacy platform that still has over 60 million users to keeping MAYBE 2 million PlayBook users happy (and likely running the risk of PO-ing even many of those if the upgrade were to break anything), you need to give your head a shake.
    07-09-13 03:18 AM
    I don't have any hard data, but my opinion based on the leaked specs is that they made a selection of cheap parts in order to maximize the margins. I believe this device is made for consumers that buy a BlackBerry not for its looks or for its app store, but for a cheap way to exchange messages through BIS (emerging markets consumers and, possibly, cash-strapped corporations) . It seems to be a "Curve" class device and in this respect it could be seen as an upgrade from the "old" Curves (better screen, at least). I don't know if it will work out for them, but I believe this was the reasoning behind bringing it on the market.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-09-13 03:37 AM
    When your 60% of sales are still supported by legacy devices, you'll have to follow the numbers.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 03:47 AM
    BlackBerry seems to making the same damn mistakes as before. Why on earth would they be making more legacy devices?
    Because the money is just sitting in the corner.
    07-09-13 03:54 AM
    Well we see updates for bb10 - update 10.1 , 10.2 ,(Think there wil be more)... And os 7 had like 1 update to 7.1 . Now they only made one more legacy device to help support (no updates)and you see it like they are leaving you for legacy devices ??
    07-09-13 04:06 AM
    Well we see updates for bb10 - update 10.1 , 10.2 ,(Think there wil be more)... And os 7 had like 1 update to 7.1 . Now they only made one more legacy device to help support (no updates)and you see it like they are leaving you for legacy devices ??
    You raise a good point; right now, given its newness, BB10 just doesn't do absolutely everything that BB7 does, and for some users that reason alone is enough to introduce a new legacy handset.

As more apps become available and more OS features are implemented, more customers will be able to migrate.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    07-09-13 11:55 AM
    Choices man, It's all about choices. And $$
    Thunderbuck and cjcampbell like this.
    07-09-13 12:08 PM
    Simple - because it's easy. It requires little to no effort, and it keeps the installed base somewhat (especially when offered at a very low cost). Good for the very low end (q5 is still relatively expensive, almost 2x as much as a curve today).

Posted via CB10
    Jahmal A and Vurhan like this.
    07-09-13 03:23 PM
    Because OS7 can still do a lot that OS10 cannot. Until Blackberry fixes the contact and task management in OS10, a lot of people are going to stick with OS7 or another device.
    07-09-13 03:30 PM
    I get why BBRY is doing it, and support it, but I also understand why some folks say it sends mixed signals
    07-09-13 03:32 PM
    That is a good question. There are plenty of people at my firm that are waiting for a Torch version of BB10. If they don't make one soon, then as far as I am concerned, I will consider Samsung and Apple as well. To me the slider version is a big advantage, but if it doesn't exist ...
    07-09-13 06:10 PM
    I get why BBRY is doing it, and support it, but I also understand why some folks say it sends mixed signals
    They're arguing optics in the face of practicality. Yes, I get that this looks like a step back, but only to people who follow BB'S products closely; how many of us are left?

This new BB7 phone will not be mass-marketed on the same scale as BB10. It will be offered to corporate customers in the west and the budget conscious everywhere else, with a product with as close to zero R&D cost as you're going to find in this business. It may not be exciting, but it's business.

Products like this help generate the revenue that keeps the lights on so they can design the cool stuff.

07-10-13 02:54 AM
    It may not be exciting, but it's business.

Products like this help generate the revenue that keeps the lights on so they can design the cool stuff.
    Agreed.

Here's a question that really is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things: do you think it stops there? Do you think dual OSes may have to be utilized?
    07-10-13 06:22 AM
    Agreed.

Here's a question that really is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things: do you think it stops there? Do you think dual OSes may have to be utilized?
    HELL no! Remember that originally there was supposed to actually BE a BBOS runtime for the PlayBook. Presumably, they got pretty close to making it work, too (pretty sure that Balsillie's infamous 60 day email commitment came because he thought it would be released that soon).

Anyway, dual-boot would never work. Emulation MIGHT, but I don't know why they'd bother. This new phone is a transitional product. Nothing more.

07-10-13 06:28 AM
    Uhhhm because more people are buying the legacy units now than BB10. It is a short term action at virtually no cost, while they work on their long term goal. It is just plain good business. 1 / 6 of the 2013 portfolio hardly indicates that is their focus as your headline implies.
    07-10-13 06:30 AM
    HELL no! Remember that originally there was supposed to actually BE a BBOS runtime for the PlayBook. Presumably, they got pretty close to making it work, too (pretty sure that Balsillie's infamous 60 day email commitment came because he thought it would be released that soon).

Anyway, dual-boot would never work. Emulation MIGHT, but I don't know why they'd bother. This new phone is a transitional product. Nothing more.

I wasn't clear with my question... not two OSes on I've device, but two product lines (legacy and BB10)?
    07-10-13 06:32 AM
    Oh... lol

Anythings possible. This handset doesn't surprise me much, but another one would.

07-10-13 06:34 AM