So I've spent some time reading the comments on the leaked QWERTY BB10 images... Most of the comments were ofcourse negative. This is something that bothers me about BB fans...Within our own community it seems like RIM can't do anything right. Granted we are all entitled to our opinions... But if you are sports fan or a fan of anything in particular, if you have confidence in your team it leaves very little room for others to bash it. I have seen articles written on CNET and TECH Radar where the authors have directly quoted negative remarks from CB website and used it as a point of emphasis. *dont ask me what article because I can't remember* point is... We need to easy up on the bashing of RIM in our own backyard...I understand people want to express their thoughts and opinions on the up coming product, but the negative comments need to stop... "Icons are too big" (universal search, you can make folders, put primary apps on first 3 pages) I mean these are the strong points of BB and people need to emphasize on that. Big icons=no track pad (someone said "i have fat fingers so this is great")*i have a friend who uses an iPhone because his fingers are too fat for BB's so this is great*(granted if its is not the default setting) but the complaint it (oh even apple got it right adding an extra row) really? Now we are praising apple and bashing our beloved in the same sentence.

So just remember, when other sites start bashing blackberry for having large icons and not justifying it because there is no trackpad to compensate...don't come crying saying "other people are saying bad things about the product". When within our own community we can't defend the practical reasons why BB does some of the things they do...We know BB is for people who gets things done!

Now if you are telling me you don't know how to put your primary apps within the first 3 pages... Then you SIR are not a can do individual...because having a 9900 and being able to fit 15+ icons on one tray... My most used apps are in the first 3 rows...

So why the complaining? We have the ability to do these things... Please exercise it instead of complaining about it...We are starting to sound lazy like iPhone users "I like it because its soooo easy to use, my 3 year old daughter even knows how to use it"...OH PLEASE!
    12-30-12 12:56 PM
    So I've spent some time reading the comments on the leaked QWERTY BB10 images... Most of the comments were ofcourse negative. This is something that bothers me about BB fans...Within our own community it seems like RIM can't do anything right. Granted we are all entitled to our opinions... But if you are sports fan or a fan of anything in particular, if you have confidence in your team it leaves very little room for others to bash it. I have seen articles written on CNET and TECH Radar where the authors have directly quoted negative remarks from CB website and used it as a point of emphasis. *dont ask me what article because I can't remember* point is... We need to easy up on the bashing of RIM in our own backyard...I understand people want to express their thoughts and opinions on the up coming product, but the negative comments need to stop... "Icons are too big" (universal search, you can make folders, put primary apps on first 3 pages) I mean these are the strong points of BB and people need to emphasize on that. Big icons=no track pad (someone said "i have fat fingers so this is great")*i have a friend who uses an iPhone because his fingers are too fat for BB's so this is great*(granted if its is not the default setting) but the complaint it (oh even apple got it right adding an extra row) really? Now we are praising apple and bashing our beloved in the same sentence.

So just remember, when other sites start bashing blackberry for having large icons and not justifying it because there is no trackpad to compensate...don't come crying saying "other people are saying bad things about the product". When within our own community we can't defend the practical reasons why BB does some of the things they do...We know BB is for people who gets things done!

Now if you are telling me you don't know how to put your primary apps within the first 3 pages... Then you SIR are not a can do individual...because having a 9900 and being able to fit 15+ icons on one tray... My most used apps are in the first 3 rows...

So why the complaining? We have the ability to do these things... Please exercise it instead of complaining about it...We are starting to sound lazy like iPhone users "I like it because its soooo easy to use, my 3 year old daughter even knows how to use it"...OH PLEASE!
    The CB mobile site really needs to allow for "liking" of comments
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-30-12 01:03 PM
    Although there certainly has been some downright bashing, I'd say that for the most part the community simply produces constructive criticism, which can only help RIM because if one person thought it didn't look good there's bound to be more. Yes, it's entirely possible to fit your primary apps within the first three pages, but personally my concern is less about the practicality of the layout and more about the aesthetics. Perhaps that rather defeats the "tools first, toys later" attitude of BlackBerry's, but the matter of the fact is the general public likes their devices to look good even more than I do, and you can only take that attitude so far before you start sacrificing a whole lot of sales because of things like this. We all want RIM to succeed, but, to make a link to an iPhone user (and Apple fanboy) I personally know, we shouldn't blindly accept everything RIM puts out as the best product in the world, no questions asked.
    OMGitworks and EsJayDee like this.
    12-30-12 01:13 PM
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of the icons but it doesn't really matter to me. You know why? Because once people start making new themes the icons are going to be changed anyways so I can pick whatever theme I want with whatever icons are available from the choices to be had. Being with AT&T I'm betting we might be behind the curve again when the devices are available so I figure there will be plenty of themes available by the time I get mine.
    12-30-12 01:18 PM
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of the icons but it doesn't really matter to me. You know why? Because once people start making new themes the icons are going to be changed anyways so I can pick whatever theme I want with whatever icons are available from the choices to be had. Being with AT&T I'm betting we might be behind the curve again when the devices are available so I figure there will be plenty of themes available by the time I get mine.
    Unfortunately, BlackBerry 10 will not have third-party theme support. It's possible that some kind of "jailbreak" or "rooting" procedure will be developed at some point which will change that, but officially, there will be no custom themes.
    12-30-12 01:21 PM
    I fully understand what you mean by not accepting anything RIM puts out there and providing negative feedback when needed. But this is flat out complaining about something that you can solve by rearranging your icons. I understand the format is not ideal, then make a comment about the format. I'm talking about the people who are complaining that its a drag to scroll through till you get to the app you want and the ones calling it ugly. As you stated we can't get everything we want in this...that's just the way RIM is going. I for one loves my trackpad... But I fully understand with the new flow system trackpad need to go... Did it have to go maybe not, but its gone, so until you try the new OS without it, don't bash it.
    12-30-12 01:27 PM
    To the OP, there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. If you're unable to comment both positively or negatively on a subject, then you're nothing more than a fanboi, which is probably worse.

I'm not saying that all criticism is correct or useful, but blindly cheering for a product just because you like a brand isn't good for a brand either.

I will definately agree that it would be nice to see more cheering threads, and I expect to see them once the device is launched.
    It's possible that some kind of "jailbreak" or "rooting" procedure will be developed at some point
    I wouldn't hold your breath for either a jailbreak or a root. RIM learned from the original Playbook OS and will almost definately make sure that hole isn't available as an exploit on the BB10 phones.

Si.
    nquyen likes this.
    12-30-12 01:39 PM
    I fully understand what you mean by not accepting anything RIM puts out there and providing negative feedback when needed. But this is flat out complaining about something that you can solve by rearranging your icons. I understand the format is not ideal, then make a comment about the format. I'm talking about the people who are complaining that its a drag to scroll through till you get to the app you want and the ones calling it ugly. As you stated we can't get everything we want in this...that's just the way RIM is going. I for one loves my trackpad... But I fully understand with the new flow system trackpad need to go... Did it have to go maybe not, but its gone, so until you try the new OS without it, don't bash it.
    A fair point, but I'm hoping we see a lot more positive than negative comments once the OS is out!

I wouldn't hold your breath for either a jailbreak or a root. RIM learned from the original Playbook OS and will almost definately make sure that hole isn't available as an exploit on the BB10 phones.

Si.
    Yeah I'm not expecting such a thing either, considering how seriously RIM takes the security of their OS. Heck, I don't think anyone has even figured out how to root Tablet OS 2.0 yet.
    12-30-12 01:43 PM
    This is my point exactly. People are complaining about things they can fix them selves. The point is for every negative point I read there was a fixture;ppl are just honing on the bad stuff and forgetting there is a fix and reasons. To me that's flat out complaining for no reason. And we all know when it comes to blackberry most folks are more fixated on the negative than positive.
    12-30-12 02:02 PM
    no complaints here, just bring it, and will go from there
    12-30-12 02:03 PM
    My friend and I had a discussion about this. Here is why there is nothing to complain about. The UI will work because of the scrolling dots (just slide to jump pages), and less icons on the screen means its hard to miss the app you're looking for. Arguably the user experience would be much faster paced than on the Z10. Then he mentioned that the bar on the bottom with the magnifying class and call button takes up 1/4 of the screen, but I said that's what we have right now on our Bold 99xx. Except the call/end/menu/back strip is replaced with screen. It only appears on the apps/frames mode, disappears when you go to hub or another app to become extra screen space! Quite an innovative upgrade from our current bold.
    Finally he said that too much of the UI is compromised due to the screen size since BB10 is made for touch. I slightly disagree because it is just as touchable and easy to use since the icons are still big like on the Z10. either way, until we see a review showing the UI, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. There is still a lot that RIM might be hiding.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-30-12 02:25 PM
    My friend and I had a discussion about this. Here is why there is nothing to complain about. The UI will work because of the scrolling dots (just slide to jump pages), and less icons on the screen means its hard to miss the app you're looking for. Arguably the user experience would be much faster paced than on the Z10. Then he mentioned that the bar on the bottom with the magnifying class and call button takes up 1/4 of the screen, but I said that's what we have right now on our Bold 99xx. Except the call/end/menu/back strip is replaced with screen. It only appears on the apps/frames mode, disappears when you go to hub or another app to become extra screen space! Quite an innovative upgrade from our current bold.
    Finally he said that too much of the UI is compromised due to the screen size since BB10 is made for touch. I slightly disagree because it is just as touchable and easy to use since the icons are still big like on the Z10. either way, until we see a review showing the UI, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. There is still a lot that RIM might be hiding.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    one mans meat and all

but i personally dont like that you can see what, only 4/6 apps to a screen. the icons can afford to be smaller, or we can have the best of both worlds and have the option to change the size of the icons
    12-30-12 02:31 PM
    Although there certainly has been some downright bashing, I'd say that for the most part the community simply produces constructive criticism, which can only help RIM because if one person thought it didn't look good there's bound to be more.
    There is a big difference in constructive criticism and what we often see in response to even the blurriest leaked photos of pre-release hardware and software which just seems like people looking for something to whine about.

Just look at all the moans you get about those backgrounds to the icons with nobody doing the moaning even stopping to consider the reasoning behind them and how they improve clarity when using particular backgrounds.
    DJM626 and CairnsRock like this.
    12-30-12 02:46 PM
    I think it is quite telling that we are currently seeing icons and that bottom bar that are exactly the same size as those on the l-series, it might be that they are purposely hiding any ui changes until later on in order to try and minimise the inevitable leaks of such stuff.
    jakie55 and VanMtl like this.
    12-30-12 02:50 PM
    There is a big difference in constructive criticism and what we often see in response to even the blurriest leaked photos of pre-release hardware and software which just seems like people looking for something to whine about.

Just look at all the moans you get about those backgrounds to the icons with nobody doing the moaning even stopping to consider the reasoning behind them and how they improve clarity when using particular backgrounds.
    Although you have a point, I think that criticism is fueled by the fact that other platforms cope just fine without the icon shadows. I didn't like them much at first either, but they do seem to be growing on me.
    12-30-12 02:55 PM
    The problem is if you look at this, its a mess. Very unprofessional looking in some cases. These are a few areas the need improved on IMO

• The dots overlap the icons
    • The bottom bar with search camera and phone is HUGE
    • The icons IMO are too big for the screen size.
    • Blackberry branding again is big and not needed there IMO

Why all the complaining about the QWERTY icons...?-blackberry-x10-n-series-2.jpg

Now i know the SDK in not final for this device and things can and will change before release so that is good but its just things like this that I would hope RIM was beyond at this point. Its almost like the took the bb10 for the L series and slapped in on the N device right now. Whether that means they are pretty far from release ready N series I dont know, time will tell
    lboogie_1971_ and Cappyshirt like this.
    12-30-12 03:19 PM
    Agreed. But, I'll bet the software and hardware is the not the final product on this leaked blurry picture. I Also think the outburst is fair, if RIM fans aren't happy, who will be?
    lboogie_1971_ likes this.
    12-30-12 03:50 PM
    The problem is if you look at this, its a mess. Very unprofessional looking in some cases. These are a few areas the need improved on IMO

• The dots overlap the icons
    • The bottom bar with search camera and phone is HUGE
    • The icons IMO are too big for the screen size.
    • Blackberry branding again is big and not needed there IMO

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackBerry-X10-N-Series-2.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	129891

Now i know the SDK in not final for this device and things can and will change before release so that is good but its just things like this that I would hope RIM was beyond at this point. Its almost like the took the bb10 for the L series and slapped in on the N device right now. Whether that means they are pretty far from release ready N series I dont know, time will tell
    I agree with you on everything, and i hope this not something that RIM thinks is production ready, because frankly this has amateur hour written all over it. I'm sure RIM has the right kind of people who tell in one glance everything that is wrong about that picture and make it right.

As for OPs question, i don't think cb people would make noise unnecessarily, but they r definitely not irrational fanbois. There is something very wrong with how bb10 has scaled on the x10 and its better to let RIM know now so they can look into it.

That said however i still believe this is not how RIM wants x10 ux to end up like. This just looks like the bb10 software from a dev alpha made to work on an x10.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    12-30-12 03:50 PM
    Call me weird but what really bothers me is that damn back cover, I wouldn't be caught dead with a phone like that, its worse than my old 8530s back. I don't wanna hate but if that's final hardware then I cant see BB's keyboard model doing well, at least compared to the Z10...
    Last edited by Bobert_123; 12-30-12 at 05:50 PM.
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    12-30-12 04:08 PM
    Can't please everyone and some just born to biotch
    DJM626 likes this.
    12-30-12 04:20 PM
    Of course, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion on things. I am sure Rim likes feedback and input, especially from the mistakes or different paths they have taken in the past, but if all people want to do is make comments (which I've read) such as "Come on Rim get it right", there simply would not be a Z10 because everyone's version of "getting it right" embarks upon different things. As for me, just let me get this thing in my hands, and it will be "getting it right" I don't care how big, how small, how big the icons are, what the dimensions are, dual core or quad core, I just know it is going to be better then what I am currently using. That means the most to me right now.
    12-30-12 04:32 PM
    This is one of the biggest reasons why companies try to avoid leaks - people making judgement on a product that's not barely even in alpha stage. For one, we don't even know how old the OS build is. Second, anyone with even half-decent knowledge of software development knows that the UI tends look very messed up at first, and is gradually improved as the release nears. Please don't waste time making judgements on leaks -- that too early leaks.
    12-30-12 04:40 PM
    This is one of the biggest reasons why companies try to avoid leaks - people making judgement on a product that's not barely even in alpha stage. For one, we don't even know how old the OS build is. Second, anyone with even half-decent knowledge of software development knows that the UI tends look very messed up at first, and is gradually improved as the release nears. Please don't waste time making judgements on leaks -- that too early leaks.
    yes and no. if this leak was 2 months ago i agree. But we are 30 days away from this being introduced and the whole thing being put up for everyone to see and try out. Its make or break on Jan 30th. I will cringe if i hear something along the lines of "incomplete" or "that is coming" etc. They need to have it ready and looking as good as it gets.
    12-30-12 04:55 PM
    My take on the negative comments: its deja vu when L first leaked. "it looks like a droid I hate it" "it looks like an Iphone I hate it"" omg the icons are hideous, is that cheap Chinese plastic I see?" " I guess I have to wait for the qwerty!"

Fast forward since a few tweaks and enhancements: "Zomg its awesome,the iphone looks so dated next to it" "omg I love it, This is my next phone!" "Its ...its...OH no I just came in my pants" "Just Take my Money RIM!"

Okay now obviously the icons are to big and its a bit of a bland looking phone like the L was when it surfaced but once its launch Os is shown along with it in its good pair of jeans I think folks will change opinion just like they did with L.

People wanted a BlackBerry10 Bold and that's what RIM gave us. Like I said when the final os is shown and its textured back or whatever RIM goes with ; people will change their tune.

Me personally I don't know what device I want yet because I believe I would have to have at least a few minutes holding and using both before I decided.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    kojita likes this.
    12-30-12 05:25 PM
    yes and no. if this leak was 2 months ago i agree. But we are 30 days away from this being introduced and the whole thing being put up for everyone to see and try out. Its make or break on Jan 30th. I will cringe if i hear something along the lines of "incomplete" or "that is coming" etc. They need to have it ready and looking as good as it gets.
    yes the qwerty will be shown but from everything we all have been told already only the all touch will be available first. The qwerty will follow and with good reason. The OS is not launch ready. I'm sure RIM knew it wouldn't be ready either that's why its going to follow the Z10. Heck the apps aren't even ready. Do you know of a developer who has a dev alpha C? Just take a look in appworld on a pc or Mac and use the filter. You can filter every BlackBerry device including dev alpha ,PlayBook and all touch but the is nothing there about N series/X10.

No need to worry about anything I think RIM has this under control.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    12-30-12 05:40 PM
52 123