This is really bad, some developers will not be converting their apps, they will have their Apps removed from the BlackBerry App Store.

Why is 1.3 dropping Adobe AIR?-img_20140812_155714.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by realtrevor; 08-12-14 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Misspelt title
    08-12-14 08:59 AM
    Looks like that post is from April? I don't remember hearing about this but i could have easily missed it. Since we haven't heard anything since April (I'm assuming) maybe things changed?

If not, this isn't good.

Posted via CB10 (Via limited WiFi connection)
    08-12-14 09:23 AM
    It's been in their roadmap.... developers have been given some time to rewrite their apps - unless they have a bunch of them, and many do. And remember most devices aren't getting 10.3, thus it might be months more before any but leakers and Passport owners see it.

Yes you will see fewer Apps in App World.

It's strange because I believe that Android Apps built on the Adobe AIR framework will still run. So in essence BlackBerry is pushing any developers that rely on Adobe Air and are not comfortable with another development platform to move to Android. So maybe all Developers have to do is port their Apps to Android.
    08-12-14 09:25 AM
    Looks like that post is from April? I don't remember hearing about this but i could have easily missed it. Since we haven't heard anything since April (I'm assuming) maybe things changed?
    Nope, support for Adobe AIR runtime is ending - see here: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...oice/bb10.html
    08-12-14 09:27 AM
    Adobe Air is supported in 10.3.0, but will be dropped in 10.3.1.

Big licencing fees is the reason. Since focus for consumer apps is switching to Android, it is seen as unnecessary.

Porting from Air to Android is pretty easy. Any developer who is still active with bb10 can do it in no time at all. The tools are being made available with a lot of lead time.

If a specific developer is not interested in doing this, they probably aren't supporting their app anyway, so it's already dead in the water.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    08-12-14 09:34 AM
    Nope, support for Adobe AIR runtime is ending - see here: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...oice/bb10.html
    I missed this. Thanks.

08-12-14 10:10 AM
    It sucks it's a licencing fee issue.
    It also sucks that (in theory) we'll have an original native app ported to Android to then run on BlackBerry again.
    I've got not issue with running android apps for the most part, some are too laggy but I can see many people being passed about this.

realtrevor likes this.
    08-12-14 10:13 AM
    It sucks it's a licencing fee issue.
    It also sucks that (in theory) we'll have an original native app ported to Android to then run on BlackBerry again.
    I've got not issue with running android apps for the most part, some are too laggy but I can see many people being passed about this.

Air is not technically native really. Remember how slowly the settings app used to run prior to OS 10.2? The Android runtime is constantly improving, and a well coded app runs pretty smoothly now - certainly on par with an Air app.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    08-12-14 10:18 AM
    .. an original native app ported to Android to then run on BlackBerry again.
    Air apps required a runtime, just as the Android apps does, so it was not more "native" than Android apps.

And since the Android runtime already supports Air, it does not make much sense to have the Air runtime twice loaded on the device.

License fees perhaps, but memory saving would be quite a bit. And with the optimized speed of the Android runtime. So perhaps it would allow devices with only 2GB memory run 10.3.1 smoothly... and perhaps it is also why 10.3.0 devices comes with 3GB ... who knows..
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    08-12-14 10:31 AM
    Thanks for the info guys, I'm not an app developer and only have a basic knowledge of this kind of stuff when it comes to app development and how the android runtime actually works.

This is when CrackBerry is at its best!

08-12-14 11:00 AM
    Double post. Oops
    08-12-14 11:01 AM
    How many Adobe air apps are there in BBworld anyways. 20-30 atmost?
    08-12-14 11:22 AM
    I say good riddance.
    08-12-14 11:44 AM