I wanna try a different company than Rogers to get a Q5 when my contract ends next month. Phone plans are cheaper with either Koodo, Fido, or Virgin...so which company is the best one to switch too? I looked up reviews for all three, and all had good n bad reviews. I know for sure, I can get a cheaper plan for a Q5 if I leave Rogers. Any insight would be a great help. Thanks.
    05-18-14 09:17 PM
    Koodo. Q5 only $150.
    05-18-14 09:34 PM
    Yeah saw that price...pretty, pretty good. That's a hard deal to pass up but is Koodo good to be with?
    05-18-14 09:42 PM
    I've been with koodo for three years and I just recently picked up a q5 from them.

In my experience, they are excellent. I get unlimited Canada wide calling and texting plus 1gb of data for 40 dollars a month. Plus the tab system is great. They put 15 percent of your bill towards a new phone every month. I got the q5 for zero dollars because I had a tab built up. Even without the tab, the q5 is only 150. It's an excellent phone. I also own a z30 and I prefer the q5.

Posted via CB10
    red5gary likes this.
    05-18-14 09:46 PM
    Where exactly are you located and do you travel outside your area, for example, if you are in Toronto, are you usually in and around Toronto or do you travel outside of Toronto? Looking at the companies coverage maps will help you decide unless you get a nationwide unlimited package. I believe one company has a $39 unlimited talk and text but not sure if they have a Q5. Do some research for your specific area

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    05-18-14 09:49 PM
    Good to know...has Koodo ever over charged you on a bill? I read there phones keep breaking down and there customer service sucks. My brother-in-law told me, he can't wait to leave Koodo...he's on his third phone now after only a year with them. He says there phones suck...that's what I'm worried about if I go with Koodo.
    05-18-14 10:05 PM
    What company has the $39 plan?
    05-18-14 10:07 PM
    Good to know...has Koodo ever over charged you on a bill? I read there phones keep breaking down and there customer service sucks. My brother-in-law told me, he can't wait to leave Koodo...he's on his third phone now after only a year with them. He says there phones suck...that's what I'm worried about if I go with Koodo.
    Lol what?

Koodo has no control over phone quality. That has to do with the phone manufacturer. Also your brother in law sounds like a moron. Why can't he wait to leave koodo? Koodo doesn't have contracts and you can leave anytime as long as you pay off your tab.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 10:15 PM
    You are likely to find good and bad reviews from all companies.

The plans are pretty similar once you get down to the nuts and bolts of it.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 10:29 PM
    I think pubic or public had $39, the three big players have raised their prices. Seems like they all did this in unison. Too bad an American big player can't show up and make pricing more competitive again. Either that or the CDN government should step in again

05-18-14 10:35 PM
    Either that or the CDN government should step in again

Oh they did.... spending millions of taxpayers dollars on an ineffective ad campaign.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 10:46 PM
    Lol what?

Koodo has no control over phone quality. That has to do with the phone manufacturer. Also your brother in law sounds like a moron. Why can't he wait to leave koodo? Koodo doesn't have contracts and you can leave anytime as long as you pay off your tab.

Posted via CB10
    Really??? I didn't know that...of course he has to pay off his tab to get out. Koodo should do a better job checking there phones before customers start using them or get better reliable phones. It happens to a lot of people I'm hearing.
    05-19-14 05:34 AM
    I bought two of the Q5's for $150 from the website on two occasions. One for my parents and one for a backup to my Z10. (Q5 has dataless FM radio which Z10 doesn't). So far so good.

I don't use data on these Q5's (wait for wifi) and don't talk much so I went I got some prepaid sim card from the Koodo kiosk at the local mall ($20 to buy but you get the $20 back when you activate so essentially free) and a block of phone time ($40 or so) which should last for a year or two.

So with a pre-authorized payment plan, I am only paying $13.50 per month per phone (basically unlimited texting and few features), plus a couple of bucks of talk time. Now if you are a heavy data user or talker, this would not be relevant to you and prices would be significantly higher, but as a backup phone, this is ideal (and I really enjoy using the physical keyboard). When my kid's phone contract ends later this year, they will also get a Koodo Q5.

Koodo is owned by Telus, so coverage should be acceptable.
    05-19-14 08:07 AM
    Really??? I didn't know that...of course he has to pay off his tab to get out. Koodo should do a better job checking there phones before customers start using them or get better reliable phones. It happens to a lot of people I'm hearing.
    Like I said, it has nothing to do with Koodo. Its the phone manufacturers. Koodo carries pretty much the same phones as every other company. Its not like manufacturers produce phones strictly for Koodo. They all come from the same factory, be it Samsung, HTC, BB, Apple, etc etc.
    05-19-14 08:07 AM
    I wanna try a different company than Rogers to get a Q5 when my contract ends next month. Phone plans are cheaper with either Koodo, Fido, or Virgin...so which company is the best one to switch too? I looked up reviews for all three, and all had good n bad reviews. I know for sure, I can get a cheaper plan for a Q5 if I leave Rogers. Any insight would be a great help. Thanks.
    I have the BlackBerry Z10 On wind. Depending on the area which you live in or may travel to regularly I find wind to be sufficient. I live in pickering and travel to Toronto. My experience with wind is unsurpassed. I may not have LTE speeds. But really all I found with LTE was major battery loss.

My advice to you is forget the Q5. Get to wind and get a Q10. I don't believe that you will be disappointed at all.
    ( two phones, unlimited on both = $80 a month)

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 02:25 PM
    I have the BlackBerry Z10 On wind. Depending on the area which you live in or may travel to regularly I find wind to be sufficient. I live in pickering and travel to Toronto. My experience with wind is unsurpassed. I may not have LTE speeds. But really all I found with LTE was major battery loss.

My advice to you is forget the Q5. Get to wind and get a Q10. I don't believe that you will be disappointed at all.
    ( two phones, unlimited on both = $80 a month)

Posted via CB10
    Get the Q5. Forget buying it on contract. Buy it from Koodoo on line for 150. Use your credit card if you don't have 150 bucks and pay off without being a slave to the phone company. Y ou will get a discount of 10 percent off your bill by owning it. Koodoo is owned by Telus and will work where Telus does, something Wind will not do. Wind is great in TO or Vancouver but not in most of Canada esprcially up north.
    Simply purchase a monthly plan that works for you and cancell without penalty if you feel the need.
    05-20-14 09:17 AM
    What company has the $39 plan?
    Wind

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-20-14 09:27 AM
    Get the Q5. Forget buying it on contract. Buy it from Koodoo on line for 150. Use your credit card if you don't have 150 bucks and pay off without being a slave to the phone company. Y ou will get a discount of 10 percent off your bill by owning it. Koodoo is owned by Telus and will work where Telus does, something Wind will not do. Wind is great in TO or Vancouver but not in most of Canada esprcially up north.
    Simply purchase a monthly plan that works for you and cancell without penalty if you feel the need.
    I got my Z10 brand new for $200 off of Kijiji. No contract. I walked into wind asked for the $39 plan. Which has unlimited Everything. Also by bringing in my own phone. I got to take advantage of their BYOD discounts. I was allotted $200 in credits. Which I put towards premium data speed. So that being as it is. I have a phone I can take to any carrier. Furthermore I didn't have to get it on tab.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 01:39 PM
    I got my Z10 brand new for $200 off of Kijiji. No contract. I walked into wind asked for the $39 plan. Which has unlimited Everything. Also by bringing in my own phone. I got to take advantage of their BYOD discounts. I was allotted $200 in credits. Which I put towards premium data speed. So that being as it is. I have a phone I can take to any carrier. Furthermore I didn't have to get it on tab.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but wind sucks *** unless you're in a big city all of the time. There's even a few spots in the metro Vancouver area that aren't covered. Plus wind only does 3G

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 01:50 PM