Now that BlackBerry has finally failed it's users, brand and OS it is now time to talk about who, if anyone, will carry on BB10.
    02-28-17 11:25 AM
    Is this including offloading QNX (and therefore a lot of BlackBerry's IoT/automotive pivot)?
    02-28-17 11:34 AM
    Nobody will buy BlackBerry 10. QNX is what "drives" BlackBerry at the moment, so that's not going anywhere anytime soon either...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbb10; 02-28-17 at 03:36 PM.
    02-28-17 12:13 PM
    Wake me up when someone licenses it.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-28-17 01:47 PM
    Troll level: novice.

Try again.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 02:43 PM
    If only there were dozens of other smartphone manufacturers around the globe who could decide to licence the BB10 OS and brand from BlackBerry. Oh, wait... there are. Only not a single one of them has seen any value in doing such a thing.
    02-28-17 02:55 PM
    If only there were dozens of other smartphone manufacturers around the globe who could decide to licence the BB10 OS and brand from BlackBerry. Oh, wait... there are. Only not a single one of them has seen any value in doing such a thing.
    LMFAO!!!!!!
    02-28-17 03:36 PM
    Samsung.
    No, it actually doesn't make sense, but since they seem to be happy to do something crazy try and roll their own OS "Tizen", might as well give up and just license BB10 which is ready to go.

They're already friendly with BlackBerry and given the state of things, I'm sure they could negotiate a pretty decent deal.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-28-17 03:37 PM
    Nobody should waste time or money on BB10. It would just be a waste of shareholder money for any company.
    02-28-17 03:45 PM
    LG, of course. They put webOS on TV. They will install BB10 on...washing machines?
    02-28-17 04:40 PM
    What would someone buy? Blackberry is not selling QNX so you don't have the base. They would need a license for QNX. Next problem is BB10, there is no BB10 team, so you get a bunch of source code. Who knows how well it is documented, my guess is other great. So now if you are the new owner what would you do with BB10?
    02-28-17 06:45 PM
    "Who should buy BB10?"

Anybody that likes it and appreciates it for it is, and not what it will become.
    02-28-17 08:08 PM
    Lol I thought from the title this thread meant, 'what kind of person is BlackBerry10 good for' not what company should license it.

If the OS didn't take 2 years to be decent, it might have been worth it. But now it's a dead platform.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    02-28-17 08:31 PM
    Anybody really that is not app dependent. Although there are all you need for basic apps and functionality. If you need a pay by phone system then not a good choice. There isn't much I can't do with my Passport on BB10 considering many apps have a Web version that do the job.

One thing is for sure it has the best multitasking and file system management around.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 11:44 PM
    Maybe you shouldn't. Since the rumors are that the system will no longer update. And, the new blackberry phones are coming with android. Even considering all the apps you use are still present in the BBOS and you still can use it. Sooner or later they will not work or will not work completely. And then you will forced to choose another phone.
    I know they are good loking, the system is very good and better they are cheap. I even bought one Q10 a few months ago and i use it every damn day. I love the fastest the system is in managing emails and all the HUB integration and all it way of work speaking about the system. I love the Q10 size, his amoled screen, the keyboard and the removable battery. But, I know, the end is near and i don't have found an alternative in the market with these specs yet. I'm still a proud and happy blackberry user xD
    03-01-17 01:44 PM
    BB10's fine, it just needed a solution for the Android Runtime problem.

Not everyone is dependent on Google Services, btw. I hope that statement does not offend any of the esteemed personages present.
    03-01-17 09:46 PM
    What would someone buy? Blackberry is not selling QNX so you don't have the base. They would need a license for QNX. Next problem is BB10, there is no BB10 team, so you get a bunch of source code. Who knows how well it is documented, my guess is other great. So now if you are the new owner what would you do with BB10?
    The whole business model of QNX is selling cheap licenses.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 09:50 PM

Not everyone is dependent on Google Services, btw. I hope that statement does not offend any of the esteemed personages present.
    The problem is that the lack of Google Play Services is by FAR a much bigger impediment to app compatibility than the lack of Kitkat. So I'm not sure what solution for the Android Runtime you are suggesting.
    03-01-17 09:52 PM

A Google server farm somewhere is reading your post and running algorithms. In 15 years your personage will be marked for deletion.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 09:55 PM
    Any company in desperate need to show some losses.
    03-01-17 10:30 PM
    Any company in desperate need to show some losses.
    I'm actually longing to see the day some smartphone markets experts here who constantly debate how Android effectively killed the division and they sold more BB10 handsets, have a jab at it. Put their money where their mouth is, and I'll watch how they can "revive" BB10.

In particular that guy who won't shut up about his company experience and two Passports.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-01-17 11:23 PM
    If someone was going to license it, the time to have done so was at launch. Thor was looking high and low for other licensees from more than a year before BB10's launch (back when it was going to be called BBX) and continued looking through September. There were no takers.

Now, as eshropshire pointed out, the only thing there really is to license is the source code. There is no team, no institutional knowledge, and who knows if there is any documentation (a very key piece of transitioning a product from one team to another)? It would take any new licensee at least 2 years to be able to release a phone if they didn't do any significant development - it would take a full year just to put together the right team and try to get them up to speed, and another year to figure out and document the existing BB10 and get it working on newer hardware. Except that it might not even be compatible with newer hardware, given that the 64-bit conversion was never done and the last Qualcomm 32-bit SoCs (the best currently available is the old 600) will be gone soon. That would take a massive project to complete.

You'd need a company that had at least $1B to spend just to get BB10 ready for a new device (Note: Apple and Microsoft spend this much per year to keep their mobile OSs in development, and Google currently spends $1.6B/year) - and then they have to build phones and pay for a per-phone license. How in the hell would they ever make a profit?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-01-17 11:35 PM
    You really think it would cost $1 billion to put some flesh on the bones of a basic QNX kernel, implement the cascades / gestures / hub (which is BB10's really strong point), whack on a few APIs, frameworks, X Window Manager, generic driver stuff, and functionality with Android?

How much did it cost Amazon to create Fire OS? They sell millions of dirt cheap tablets every year and make money off the fact that people use them to buy more stuff from Amazon.

I don't even care about QNX. Just a version of Android with the gestures etc would be good
    03-01-17 11:48 PM
    The problem is that the lack of Google Play Services is by FAR a much bigger impediment to app compatibility than the lack of Kitkat. So I'm not sure what solution for the Android Runtime you are suggesting.
    Kindle Fire OS doesn't require Google services.

Companies would be crazy not to offer up their apps to potentially millions of users (people who have Amazon tablets).

Swap out Android runtime with Fire OS runtime, that would be a fine solution and would let the Google bigots keep their toys.
    03-02-17 12:56 AM
    You really think it would cost $1 billion to put some flesh on the bones of a basic QNX kernel, implement the cascades / gestures / hub (which is BB10's really strong point), whack on a few APIs, frameworks, X Window Manager, generic driver stuff, and functionality with Android?
    You're not alone on this. $1 billion worth of coding? That's a lot of coding.

At an average of $200 an hour, that would be 5 million hours of coding. I find that hard to swallow.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 01:04 AM
62 123