Jan 30th is the launch of the OS (yes with device(s) revealed) which is NOT what folks buy. People buy devices. And we have no concrete idea when devices will drop. If for instance the first phone say on Verizon does not come out until late February then I'd not expect to see ads for the phone now anyway.

Lots of posts on here seem to confuse the launch/reveal date for BlackBerry 10 with device releases. Not at all the same thing. And RIM's not Apple so the chances of a Jan 30th launch followed by immediate availability is very slim.
    01-19-13 01:33 PM
    It could hurt by 1) Wasting money advertising the back of a phone, and a camera and keyboard that needs to be used to be appreciated. And 2) Causing to much hype and expectations.

Again, consumers are see it and forget it. As an example quickly name in your head 3 things you received for Christmas this year. Marketing is such an art form and RIM is going about it very nicely. As the stock shows.
    With this theory RIM shouldn't do ANY marketing until all carriers are selling the phone. Launch is the 30th but not all carriers will be selling at the same time afaik.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    01-19-13 01:33 PM
    In your head. It's easy when you can type it out.

Now name last years.
    Carhart boots(I get boots every year)
    Pachmayr grips
    Weber grill tools
    01-19-13 01:35 PM
    The public needs to know Blackberry has something coming, sure we know here because we are addicts.
    Unless somebody lives in a cave they know Blackberry has something coming,lol.

Wait for Jan 30 2013 like everybody else.

BTW, you will find tons and tons of USA Blackberry launch news here USA Newspapers.com - Home

Yes even Alabama,lol

You can't buy this much FREE ad but Blackberry has, good call RIM.

PS. When your done with the USA news you can start here next

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

Should keep ya busy until Jan 30 2013
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-19-13 02:13 PM
    Jan 30th is the launch of the OS (yes with device(s) revealed) which is NOT what folks buy. People buy devices. And we have no concrete idea when devices will drop. If for instance the first phone say on Verizon does not come out until late February then I'd not expect to see ads for the phone now anyway.

Lots of posts on here seem to confuse the launch/reveal date for BlackBerry 10 with device releases. Not at all the same thing. And RIM's not Apple so the chances of a Jan 30th launch followed by immediate availability is very slim.
    This is what apple would do right now..

Commercial: (Cue coolest music out) Guy using an awesome device... Shows off the coolest thing that no one else has... End commercial with big *** "EVERYWHERE JANUARY 30th" lettering (end music) /fade to black
    01-19-13 02:16 PM
    Unless somebody lives in a cave they know Blackberry has something coming,lol.

Wait for Jan 30 2013 like everybody else.

BTW, you will find tons and tons of USA Blackberry launch news here USA Newspapers.com - Home

Yes even Alabama,lol

You can't buy this much FREE ad but Blackberry has, good call RIM.
    Have you seen a television ad? Newspapers, I have to tell you are almost dead. Tv pushes the product right in your face. Use a louder (volume)commercial for the ad and it becomes even more memorable. Waiting, as the saying goes is for losers.
    01-19-13 02:19 PM
    It's obvious with each additional post you put up the thought of TROLL comes to mind. Others have responded in a reasonable way, yet you continue to ratchet up the "volume" with terms like "losers" etc etc. As such I'm not wasting any more of my time , others can do as they wish.
    Have you seen a television ad? Newspapers, I have to tell you are almost dead. Tv pushes the product right in your face. Use a louder (volume)commercial for the ad and it becomes even more rememberable. Waiting, as the saying goes is for losers.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-19-13 02:26 PM
    It's obvious with each additional post you put up the thought of TROLL comes to mind. Others have responded in a reasonable way, yet you continue to ratchet up the "volume" with terms like "losers" etc etc. As such I'm not wasting any more of my time , others can do as they wish.
    I am a blackberry fan, and as soon as I didnt agree with you I am a troll. I think BB could have done better in marketing, thats all.
    01-19-13 02:30 PM
    Ads are great...but in essence the main marketing will happen at the carrier and retail sales level... at this stage it appears RIM seems to be getting it right.... as much as marketing in mass media gets your product "known"....it is at the sales level you sink or swim.... It looks like from what has been reported most carriers are all in when it comes to bb10 support and inventory... if this translates into sales depends very much on how much said carriers have their sales force push BB10.... it is a bit ironic how it the same process that actually kllled the BB brand in the first place... how many reports did you hear of sales people pushing Android or Iphones to perspective customers??

If you look at pre marketing of BB10..... it seems to be working.... many tech blogs formerly anti BB seem to be turning around "BGR being the best example".... If you check facebook and twitter... BB comes up a lot.... Stock analysts are doing a retake on the company.....lastly.... you cannot market something that till the product is actually released..... makes me think this about what dampened Nokia's Lumina launch....no firm release date sketchy on specs..... let us hope RIM does an equally good job after launch as they appear to with pre launch....
    01-19-13 02:32 PM
    Carhart boots(I get boots every year)
    Pachmayr grips
    Weber grill tools
    I must say, you get good gifts. lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    rottonj likes this.
    01-19-13 02:44 PM
    I must say, you get good gifts. lol.

Thanks, I am blessed with a great family who knows my likes I guess lol
    01-19-13 02:46 PM
    With this theory RIM shouldn't do ANY marketing until all carriers are selling the phone. Launch is the 30th but not all carriers will be selling at the same time afaik.

Not sure how you got that from my comment. If you want to go that route though I remember iPhone only advertising in regions it was officially available.

01-19-13 02:46 PM
    I am a blackberry fan, and as soon as I didnt agree with you I am a troll. I think BB could have done better in marketing, thats all.
    Seriously, be patient. It is simply not reasonable to expect them to have done much yet. It's not remotely effective to do loads of upfront marketing when the product isn't available. That's the whole point of having a launch - it's the starting point for what they are going to do. Otherwise you are going to have loads of coverage for something people can't get their hands on. No marketing professional anywhere would tell you that what you want is a good idea. It just isn't, it's a terrible idea. They've done lots of below the line stuff, and built awareness. Positive marketing will come later.

You can refuse to accept this if you like, but it's just simple reality.
    01-19-13 02:49 PM
    Have you seen a television ad? Newspapers, I have to tell you are almost dead. Tv pushes the product right in your face. Use a louder (volume)commercial for the ad and it becomes even more memorable. Waiting, as the saying goes is for losers.
    Ok, I don't think you're a troll, but I do think you're determined to ignore evidence that doesn't fit your ideas.

RIM is advertising. They're targeting enthusiasts and influences. I have no doubt that there will be a mass-market push at launch. Why would you execute a simultaneous six-city international launch if you weren't trying to attract attention?
    TomJasper and convenor like this.
    01-19-13 02:51 PM
    Seriously, be patient. It is simply not reasonable to expect them to have done much yet. It's not remotely effective to do loads of upfront marketing when the product isn't available. That's the whole point of having a launch - it's the starting point for what they are going to do. Otherwise you are going to have loads of coverage for something people can't get their hands on. No marketing professional anywhere would tell you that what you want is a good idea. It just isn't, it's a terrible idea. They've done lots of below the line stuff, and built awareness. Positive marketing will come later.

I get what your saying, I know marketing. Im refering to a feeler ad not early mass marketing of a yet to be released product, As i said before, It couldnt hurt, We just disagree here
    01-19-13 02:55 PM
    I don't entirely agree with this. How long have we been waiting for now? Each leak/positive bit of info we get, only gets us more exited about the new phone even though most of us haven't physically used it or know what it's fully capable of.

This may be the case up north but, I haven't seen alot of talk about the BB10 in my area. Sure some bloggers have changed their tune but this information doesn't reach people who don't follow tech blogs. Same goes for the twitter comment. AFAIK, the 4 carriers in the US do not mention BB10 on their site yet. I only know which US carrier will have BB10 because I proactively search for that information.

IMHO this "groundwork" has only been laid for BB enthusiast and Tech junkies, which i feel is a small segment of the smartphone market.

As for your first counterpoint, we are the BB faithful and will put up with this ****. Other's won't. We can't expect anti sentiment to be patient.

For your second point, You are correct as I can't find anything on their sites but that's up to them, not RIM. Rogers, Bell, Virgin, etc, have taken it upon themselves to add to their sites. Maybe take that up with your local telcom providers.

For the third point... Nope, it's been for anyone in the business world. Look at the volumes that RIMM has been trading at these days. WAY above the average. There is a TON of interest. Soon, the masses will be inundated with adds. It will come into play but it has to be timed right. It can't happen too soon, but, you are right, it can't happen too late. I do, however, believe that hitting it hard right now and earlier, would have been, and is, too soon.
    battery and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-19-13 02:55 PM
    I get what your saying, I know marketing. Im refering to a feeler ad not early mass marketing of a yet to be released product, As i said before, It couldnt hurt, We just disagree here
    It can hurt. The very last thing you want to do is to dilute the effectiveness of what you're doing. If they market now, then the impact is lessened massively, and all you get is people thinking they've been on and on about some product you can't actually go and buy. And then they switch off. It's not a case of saying they don't need to do it, it's a case of saying they are absolutely right not to do it.

You're impatient, and I understand that. But they are doing exactly the right thing, and what you wish for would be a bad mistake.
    battery and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-19-13 03:01 PM
    It can hurt. The very last thing you want to do is to dilute the effectiveness of what you're doing. If they market now, then the impact is lessened massively, and all you get is people thinking they've been on and on about some product you can't actually go and buy. And then they switch off. It's not a case of saying they don't need to do it, it's a case of saying they are absolutely right not to do it.

You're impatient, and I understand that. But they are doing exactly the right thing, and what you wish for would be a bad mistake.
    Noted. Patience has never been my strong point lol
    Banco, battery and jakie55 like this.
    01-19-13 03:07 PM
    Noted. Patience has never been my strong point lol
    lol.... as they say, patience is a virtue, yet I'm not a very virtuous person
    rottonj likes this.
    01-19-13 03:13 PM
    Where's the marketing?-thor-got-.jpg

Seriously. Chill.
    01-19-13 03:21 PM
    RIM should wait as far as mainstream (read that as expensive) advertising -- until devices are close or out. People need to see the phone and the software, go wow I want that, and then actually be able to go get it.

I saw the Davos ad on CNBC. That is not a high dollar network relative to say primetime on a major network. And is marketing to the current BB users. Saying stick with BB -- something new is coming.

Most folks in North America watching primetime TV are not BB users. RIM has to handle that differently.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-19-13 04:13 PM
    If you saw the training slides released the other day, you know RIM has identified types of people the new release will target at launch, and I have, as others have said, seen advertising in newspapers and TV where the people targeted, would see them. My guess is they will do much more cooperative advertising once the phones are available for sale, with the carriers that sell them.
    01-19-13 05:05 PM
    Not sure how you got that from my comment. If you want to go that route though I remember iPhone only advertising in regions it was officially available.

But the 30th is a global launch event. So it's going to be one giant global ad.

Last edited by sectionsix; 01-19-13 at 06:03 PM.
    01-19-13 05:51 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THOR GOT THIS.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	131844

Seriously. Chill.
    lol, you got that right.
    01-19-13 05:56 PM

Isn't this what the 30th is? A global launch event is a giant ad. Not every carrier around the world will have BB10 on the 30th or the day after afaik. According to a tmo leak I won't even be able o get the phone until the end of March.
    Thunderbuck and Banco like this.
    01-19-13 05:56 PM
113 12345