So I had one contact whose text thread with me was funky. I would type and it would take forever for it to send, or I would hit enter or the envelope and the message wouldn't go, or it would take a long while to echo back.

I rebooted (reset really using the volume keys), and my Q10 rebooted. It took forever for the phone number to populate with my contact name, and then when it did, the entire chat history was gone.

I was hoping to see if it is stored somewhere, but not sure where they are kept. Help would be appreciated! =)

Thanks !
    06-26-17 02:44 PM
    I think your only hope is if you had a backup somewhere or if your provider has an online text msg app section. I've had that happen on my Classic a couple times when the thread is just so long it crashes and either it erases itself or I have to do it to get it to function again.
    06-27-17 12:14 AM
    There's an issue with very long SMS threads on BB10, I don't think it was ever really fixed
    06-27-17 12:24 AM
    Does anyone know where the text chats are stored though? Since BB Device Manager on Win 7 doesn't seem to recognize my device any longer, I want to be sure I copy the chats I want to save over, but I didn't see them on my SD card.

Thanks again, everyone! =)
    07-12-17 07:09 PM
    Does anyone know where the text chats are stored though? Since BB Device Manager on Win 7 doesn't seem to recognize my device any longer, I want to be sure I copy the chats I want to save over, but I didn't see them on my SD card.

Thanks again, everyone! =)
    They are stored in an inaccessible folder.
    07-12-17 08:17 PM
    You can use an app like SMS Backup, or Ultimate Backup. I use SMS Backup and can backup my texts to a folder on my SD card. It's readable too with Notepad in Windows.

Joel
    07-12-17 08:26 PM
    use Xbac Pro for backup the sms or other

 Passport SE - SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2163
    07-15-17 10:51 PM
    Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! As always, Crackberry folks are amazing. =)
    07-16-17 07:54 PM
    I have a related question.

I'm not trying to find missing/deleted/evaporated text messages, but to determine how to copy them out when the USB link isn't working.

I know they show up in my old full backup (from my older phone - slightly corrupted (some sub-Settings), cracked-screen), because when I restored an old backup to my N.I.B Classic, the text messages came over as well.

But that backup was 4 months old and I'd like to get my most recent text messages moved over. But I can't do a backup with Link, DBBT, etc. because I can't get through Settings to toggle the Mass Storage Mode. :-(

I know I can copy Contacts from SIM to device and vice-versa. If text messages are stored within the Contacts data, then that will solve my problem. I sure would like to be able to rescue those most recent months of text messages before I wipe that old Classic and reinstall the OS.
    11-09-20 02:27 PM
    I have a related question.

I'm not trying to find missing/deleted/evaporated text messages, but to determine how to copy them out when the USB link isn't working.

I know they show up in my old full backup (from my older phone - slightly corrupted (some sub-Settings), cracked-screen), because when I restored an old backup to my N.I.B Classic, the text messages came over as well.

But that backup was 4 months old and I'd like to get my most recent text messages moved over. But I can't do a backup with Link, DBBT, etc. because I can't get through Settings to toggle the Mass Storage Mode. :-(

I know I can copy Contacts from SIM to device and vice-versa. If text messages are stored within the Contacts data, then that will solve my problem. I sure would like to be able to rescue those most recent months of text messages before I wipe that old Classic and reinstall the OS.
    As noted above, texts are separately stored in it's own database location. Not with Contacts.

Why do you think you need to enable mass storage to do a backup with Link or DBBT? The SD card has nothing to do with that method of backup. And none of the basic phone data (accounts, contact, texts... any of that kind of stuff) is stored on the SD card.
    11-09-20 02:45 PM
    As noted above, texts are separately stored in it's own database location. Not with Contacts.

Why do you think you need to enable mass storage to do a backup with Link or DBBT? The SD card has nothing to do with that method of backup. And none of the basic phone data (accounts, contact, texts... any of that kind of stuff) is stored on the SD card.
    So, what part of a full backup grabs the text messages? Because they definitely got grabbed.

Re. Mass Storage, it doesn't need to be turned ON. It is *required* to be turned *OFF*. Link and DBBT both behave this way. In fact, if I let the computer fall asleep and then wake it up, I have to turn Mass Storage to ON, and then back to OFF, in order to get either Link or DBBT to connect. I discovered this by accident a while back, and then later found it in BB instructions.
    11-09-20 03:22 PM
    Also, although Conite did say "They are stored in an inaccessible folder", I didn't take that to mean inaccessible by any means. Obviously, they are accessible by some s/w or else we wouldn't be able to see them. And since i know they are picked up in a full backup, then it isn't absolutely inaccessible.
    11-09-20 03:25 PM
    I just need to be able to restore/add the text messages to the new phone without wiping out other stuff.
    11-09-20 03:27 PM
    I just need to be able to restore/add the text messages to the new phone without wiping out other stuff.
    As stated above, just use SMS Backup or Ultimate Backup. You can save to your SD card.
    11-09-20 03:43 PM
    Are you still able to access the BlackBerry App World? SMS Backup may still be there. It's a stand-alone app just for backing up and restoring texts.

I always used it before running an autoloader on my Z10 to restore all my texts going back several years. I always backed them up to my SD card, and restored them from the card. Only because I never used Link to backup the system - just the installed apps.

It's been a while since I used Link, but I think texts are picked up when backing up the system, but I'm not positive.

Re: Mass Storage... Are you saying your phone somehow switches mass storage mode on its own? I've never experienced that. Or, do you leave it in mass storage mode normally but need to turn it off before using Link or DBBT? I may be misunderstanding the situation.
    11-09-20 03:46 PM
    As stated above, just use SMS Backup or Ultimate Backup. You can save to your SD card.
    As also stated above :-) :-) :-) , my Settings controls are not full functional.

Seriously, I appreciate all the help. I'm discussing this issue on several CB threads right now.

But because of the Settings issue, there are many otherwise straightforward things that i cannot do. Communicating over the USB link is one of them. Getting to BBW is another (so far - see below).
    11-09-20 04:17 PM
    Are you still able to access the BlackBerry App World? SMS Backup may still be there. It's a stand-alone app just for backing up and restoring texts.

I always used it before running an autoloader on my Z10 to restore all my texts going back several years. I always backed them up to my SD card, and restored them from the card. Only because I never used Link to backup the system - just the installed apps.

It's been a while since I used Link, but I think texts are picked up when backing up the system, but I'm not positive.

Re: Mass Storage... Are you saying your phone somehow switches mass storage mode on its own? I've never experienced that. Or, do you leave it in mass storage mode normally but need to turn it off before using Link or DBBT? I may be misunderstanding the situation.
    Re. BBW, I can't get to it from home (one WiFi router doesn't play nice with my BB, and the other can't be connected because of the Settings problems.

Re. Mass Storage Mode, no, I wasn't saying that the phone flips it back and forth on its own. I'm saying that Link and DBBT will "connect" but not *communicate* with the phones if the Mass Storage Mode is "On". It must be off for them to communicate with the phone. This is not a figment of my imagination, nor is it unique to my phone/computer setup. It has always worked that way for me, and I have found other references in online instructions.

On the older phone, I can't get to the Settings-> Storage screen, so I can't manipulate the Mode.
    11-09-20 04:22 PM
    Re. BBW, I can't get to it from home (one WiFi router doesn't play nice with my BB, and the other can't be connected because of the Settings problems.
    I might be able to work around this by taking the phone to a place with an open WiFi network, that the phone already knows about and will auto-connect. I know it will work at Lowe's, perhaps the local MacDonalds (yuck), and maybe one or two other places I can try. I just realized I might also be able to connect to my wif'e iPhone hot spot. I will give these a try to see if I can get to BBW. Thanks for triggering that idea.
    11-09-20 04:25 PM
    I might be able to work around this by taking the phone to a place with an open WiFi network, that the phone already knows about and will auto-connect. I know it will work at Lowe's, perhaps the local MacDonalds (yuck), and maybe one or two other places I can try. I just realized I might also be able to connect to my wif'e iPhone hot spot. I will give these a try to see if I can get to BBW. Thanks for triggering that idea.
    Would it not work to pop in your SIM for a few minutes to get the apps you need from BBW?
    Another app I can suggest is Device Switch from BBW, you can backup to your SD or transfer directly to your 'new' phone.
    11-09-20 05:45 PM
    Would it not work to pop in your SIM for a few minutes to get the apps you need from BBW?
    Another app I can suggest is Device Switch from BBW, you can backup to your SD or transfer directly to your 'new' phone.
    My SIM is in. I am still using the old phone. Calls, text msging, WhatsApp, etc. all work. I haven't switched over to the newer phone yet because I won't have access to current text threads (or anything since the last backup, which I loaded onto the new phone). I also won't have some of my Contacts (entered/updated since the backup).

When i open BBW, it tells me that I have "No Network Connection", and to connect to a WiFi or mobile network. Obviously I *am* connected to a mobile network, but Data Services have gotten turned off somehow (I can't use the browser, either). Otherwise, as you were thinking, I should be able to get to BBW over the mobile data network. But I can't, which is why I thought that if the phone would auto-connect to a previously-kinown WiFi network (so that I don't need Settings), then I might be able to download your suggested apps from BBW.
    11-09-20 06:02 PM
    My SIM is in. I am still using the old phone. Calls, text msging, WhatsApp, etc. all work. I haven't switched over to the newer phone yet because I won't have access to current text threads (or anything since the last backup, which I loaded onto the new phone). I also won't have some of my Contacts (entered/updated since the backup).

When i open BBW, it tells me that I have "No Network Connection", and to connect to a WiFi or mobile network. Obviously I *am* connected to a mobile network, but Data Services have gotten turned off somehow (I can't use the browser, either). Otherwise, as you were thinking, I should be able to get to BBW over the mobile data network. But I can't, which is why I thought that if the phone would auto-connect to a previously-kinown WiFi network (so that I don't need Settings), then I might be able to download your suggested apps from BBW.
    Let is know if Wi-Fi works, although it sounds like you may need to run the update for BBW (if you haven't run it already that is).
    11-09-20 07:05 PM
    Going back to the Mass Storage mode - not to fixate on the point, but just trying to understand the situation.

Your phone is in mass storage mode now, but you can't change it because that part of Settings is inaccessible to you?
    11-09-20 07:11 PM
    Let is know if Wi-Fi works, although it sounds like you may need to run the update for BBW (if you haven't run it already that is).
    I'm heading into town now to try the WiFi solution. I didn't try using the dw's iphone hotspot yet, as she's not home. I will let you know how it goes. I think that I did use BBW on this phone about 18 months ago, and it worked. If I'm right, that bodes well for this test because at that time (18 mos back) I was operating it on WiFi only, with no cell network.
    11-09-20 08:25 PM
    Going back to the Mass Storage mode - not to fixate on the point, but just trying to understand the situation.

Your phone is in mass storage mode now, but you can't change it because that part of Settings is inaccessible to you?
    Yes, that is correct. I'm sorry if I had made it unclear before. I can't verify the Mode=On by looking at the phone, of course, but only by its behavior w.r.t. Link and DBBT.

Actually, based on memory and on the behavior of the newer phone, even when MSM is Off, and the USB cable gets plugged in, Link/DBBT will fail at the outset. They "connect" but can't communicate with the phone. The MSM must be switched to On, then back to Off, and then everything is peachy.
    11-09-20 08:29 PM
    I'm heading into town now to try the WiFi solution. I didn't try using the dw's iphone hotspot yet, as she's not home. I will let you know how it goes. I think that I did use BBW on this phone about 18 months ago, and it worked. If I'm right, that bodes well for this test because at that time (18 mos back) I was operating it on WiFi only, with no cell network.
    If you haven't opened BBW since 18 months ago then you will need to run a patch to fix it - otherwise you will continue to get that error even if you do have a sufficient data connection.

Instructions to update (various methods).

https://crackberry.com/how-fix-black...038.1602096732
    11-09-20 09:26 PM
29 12