I've got 3 POP accounts set up on my phone. I created them in an older OS revision but am currently on 10.2.1.2977

With no apparent consistency, older email messages go away without me deleting them. I'd like to keep them on file and I thought there was a change a few OS revisions ago to keep mail "forever" instead of 30 days? That's not even really the case as I have messages disappearing that aren't that old.

Two things that are really puzzling:

1. For a while, I had messages in one account that were nearly a year old and hadn't gone away. They're gone now of course, since I looked again.

2. Messages that aren't 30+ days old yet have also gone away, leaving some of the messages "around" them - meaning both prior and after the ones that disappeared.

Pretty annoying; I had a couple messages I desperately needed for work last night and they were gone. They were only from 9/19 and they've disappeared for some reason, less than a week after receiving them!

Thanks!
    Richard
    09-23-14 11:40 AM
    For POP accounts, when you go to set them up, go into advanced options at the bottom and scroll to the bottom and check what your sync timeframe is set at.
    As far as POP accounts the maximum is 90 days.

But these accounts always act weird as is happening to you it seems. I wish I could get rid of it, but I've had it for years and it's my main account.
    09-23-14 02:21 PM
    Thanks,

When I edit an account I don't have any kind of advanced settings to look at. At the bottom of the normal settings there's a Sync Interval, but that's the relatively short time period between it polling the account for new mail. 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc.

I thought one of the OS revisions brought about "Keep forever" email settings? So you're saying that no matter what, I've got a 90 day limit on POP email retention? I swear just a few weeks ago I had a couple emails from last December still hanging in one of my accounts. Gone now unfortunately...

I could spend the money to convert two of my accounts to IMAP because they're hosted on my domain, but the most important one I need retention on is a work account and I obviously won't be convincing them to make changes just for me.

Richard
    09-23-14 04:48 PM
    "Forever" was added to POP accounts a long time ago. Back in 10.1, I think.

(Edit - that's wrong... corrected myself below)

I set mine to that before I realized that my ISP actually supported IMAP for some time.

You have to delete and recreate the account on the phone to re-set the Sync Timeframe option. It can't be changed once it's created.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joeldf; 09-23-14 at 06:01 PM.
    09-23-14 05:17 PM
    Thanks,

When I edit an account I don't have any kind of advanced settings to look at. At the bottom of the normal settings there's a Sync Interval, but that's the relatively short time period between it polling the account for new mail. 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc.

I thought one of the OS revisions brought about "Keep forever" email settings? So you're saying that no matter what, I've got a 90 day limit on POP email retention? I swear just a few weeks ago I had a couple emails from last December still hanging in one of my accounts. Gone now unfortunately...

I could spend the money to convert two of my accounts to IMAP because they're hosted on my domain, but the most important one I need retention on is a work account and I obviously won't be convincing them to make changes just for me.

Richard
    You won't see that timeframe option in edit. Basically the only time you can do it as when you first set the account and choose advanced at the bottom. And yes for POP it's 90 days.

Keep Forever is for IMAP accounts I believe.
    09-23-14 05:19 PM
    "Forever" was added to POP accounts a long time ago. Back in 10.1, I think.

I set mine to that before I realized that my ISP actually supported IMAP for some time.

You have to delete and recreate the account on the phone to re-set the Sync Timeframe option. It can't be changed once it's created.

Posted via CB10
    I don't have forever as an option on my POP account. 90 days is the max. I'm on 10.3 maybe they changed it again?
    09-23-14 05:20 PM
    I don't have forever as an option on my POP account. 90 days is the max. I'm on 10.3 maybe they changed it again?
    No. You're right, I was mistaken. Sorry about that.

90 days has always been the max for POP accounts. Well, it started with just 30 days for all account types.

BlackBerry extended the settings to include "forever" for ActiveSync accounts and increased IMAP to 90 days in the original 10.1 release. The 10.1 MR builds that were +4xxx builds extended IMAP further to include the "forever" option. That must have been around the time I found out my ISP could do IMAP, and changed my settings accordingly.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 05:59 PM
    I must be missing something, because I did actually delete and re-create one of my accounts just to see about that setting. All I saw was an "initial retrieval amount" and the maximum setting is 30 days; pretty sure that setting has nothing to do with how long email is kept on the phone.

Richard
    09-24-14 08:36 AM
    Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue and it's driving me nuts!
    10-05-14 11:36 AM
    Nope. The Passport got released and nobody cares about my email.

Richard
    10-06-14 09:27 AM
    Update...I actually saw it happen. Was in the hub, noticed some throwaway email (spam from one of my utility companies) - did a long-hold on it to pull up the menu to delete, hit delete, that selected email AND one further down the list both disappeared. Sonofabitch...

Richard
    12-10-14 10:22 AM
    Is nobody else experiencing this?

I deleted all 3 of my POP accounts yesterday, and only added my main one back. Sent myself a test email from my PC, from a different account. Refreshed the hub to pull in the email, opened it, then went back to hub and left the email alone. Any other emails I received on this account I did not delete, in order to avoid any potential select/delete bug that might delete other emails. A few others came in overnight, I read them, and left them alone as well.

Today the test email is gone. This is really, really bad - whatever the hell is going on this is extremely frustrating.

Richard
    12-20-14 01:19 PM
    I do so love replying to myself. But I'm updating for others that may run into the same problem and come searching in the forums.

As a test, I changed the settings on one of my POP accounts on my desktop PC's email client. This is in MS Outlook - changed settings under advanced to "Remove from server when deleted from 'deleted items'" ... this has done the trick. I'm unsure as to the nuts and bolts technical reasons why this was necessary; I know the mail system is very different from BBOS days but back then I never had to make any special consideration for this; emails stayed on the phone seemingly forever.

It's taken a little re-training of myself because usually I delete messages permanently on the fly by hitting shift-del on the PC client side. Instead, now I need to hit only del to put them in the deleted folder, then occasionally empty the folder. This removes them from the server, and the next time the hub refreshes, they are gone from the phone, too.

What will be interesting is to see what happens as the mail kept on the phone ages. My "test" message after this change was sent on 12/21/2014. I'm wondering if after 30 days have passed, it will go away based on some BB10 policy, or if it will remain indefinitely.

Richard
    12-31-14 12:37 PM