https://blog.whatsapp.com/

As we look ahead to our next seven years, we want to focus our efforts on the mobile platforms the vast majority of people use. So, by the end of 2016, we will be ending support for WhatsApp Messenger on the following mobile platforms:

BlackBerry, including BlackBerry 10
    Nokia S40
    Nokia Symbian S60
    Android 2.1 and Android 2.2
    Windows Phone 7.1
    Well, we will still have the opportunity to run the Android version of WhatsApp. Just so everyone knows...
    Last edited by usman_hidayat19; 02-27-16 at 07:11 AM.
    jimmy zamalot likes this.
    02-27-16 03:50 AM
    blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/WhatsApp-support-for-mobile-devices

Well, we will still have the opportunity to run the Android version of WhatsApp. Just so everyone knows...
    Anyone actually use the Android version? My family (not BB10) uses WhatsApp so this is a potential problem for me.
    02-27-16 05:57 AM
    It's not clear whether "ending support" means simply no more updates or the existing installations will stop working because they will no longer connect to WA servers. I'm guessing the former.
    02-27-16 06:07 AM
    "If you use one of these affected mobile devices, we recommend upgrading to a newer Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone before the end of 2016 to continue using WhatsApp."

From the same blog, that makes it clear that WhatsApp will stop working on these devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 06:23 AM
    For me, it is very clear.

If you use one of these affected mobile devices, we recommend upgrading to a newer Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone before the end of 2016 to continue using WhatsApp.
    So we can't continue using WhatsApp with BB10 after 2016? Sounds like it won't connect anymore. But we will see.
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-27-16 06:23 AM
    if @koningsberg_wa indicates that stops the development of WhatsApp for BlackBerry 10, then I uninstall and stop using WhatsApp messaging system.
    02-27-16 06:43 AM
    "If you use one of these affected mobile devices, we recommend upgrading to a newer Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone before the end of 2016 to continue using WhatsApp."

From the same blog, that makes it clear that WhatsApp will stop working on these devices.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you're right. I only saw the quoted bit above.

That'll be the end of the line for me with BB10, and I suspect for many others. WhatsApp is what the majority of my contacts prefer to use. I prefer it myself. BB10 as a communications platform takes a major hit.
    02-27-16 06:44 AM
    Yes, very sad. Pretty much ends my use of BB10 unless the Android app can be shown to work OK.
    02-27-16 07:07 AM
    Another blow for bb10 user
    02-27-16 07:08 AM
    Speechless

Posted via CB10
    SW29 likes this.
    02-27-16 07:11 AM
    This is an early warning of what everyone has pretty much known, BB10 is dead. Too bad too because Whatsapp was actually a good app and got good support for BB10.
    ubizmo, RyanGermann and techvisor like this.
    02-27-16 07:16 AM
    Pretty much ends my use of BB10 unless the Android app can be shown to work OK.
    I've never tested the Android version, but I always assumed it would work with BB10. If it doesn't, I'm really sad now I just bought my Q5 a few months ago.
    02-27-16 07:27 AM
    I'd be willing to bet they reached this decision in consultation with BlackBerry. The other platforms are already known to be eol. WhatsApp has been one of the few high profile developers to stick with BB10, and they'd probably continue to do so if they had reason to think BlackBerry was sticking with it, even with low numbers. I suspect they contacted BlackBerry to get a sense of their plans for BB10, and what we're seeing is the result of that phone call.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 02-27-16 at 08:22 AM.
    dev3011, FCSC and werkregen like this.
    02-27-16 07:38 AM
    ]I'd be willing to bet they reached this decision in consultation with BlackBerry[/B]. The other platforms are already known to be eol. WhatsApp has been one of the few high profile developers to stick with BB10, and they'd probably continue to do so if they had reason to think BlackBerry was sticking with it, even with low numbers. I suspect they contracted BlackBerry to get a sense of their plans for BB10, and what we're seeing is the result of that phone call.
    Probably, That would not surprise me one bit
    02-27-16 07:44 AM
    Maybe the existing WhatsApp client will continue to run after end of the year. It is not 100% clear from the statement that they will immediately make the BB10 app a non-functioning app.
    And maybe we got some clever developers (like Nemory) that will build an unofficial WhatsApp client that continues to work (similar to what smart guys are doing for the Nokia N9). The issue with that though is that being not official you do have the chance the app stops working every once in a while, or you get banned by WhatsApp from their server for using an unofficial client. All in all it is sad news but we do have the whole year to cope with it...
    02-27-16 07:44 AM
    Bb10 is dead, that's the 1st shot to us in form of Whatsapp, this is really pathetic from BlackBerry, come on BlackBerry, drop the ball and say to us that bb10 is Done for good.... Say it

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BlackBerryPassport; 02-27-16 at 08:02 AM.
    dolco and skinnymike1 like this.
    02-27-16 07:49 AM
    WA is chenning us!! Lol!!

I sincerely hope there will be the possibility to keep on use WA and that BlackBerry management could push WA change plan! Anyway I recognize WA has been supporting (to me) pretty well BB10. Maybe time to look for Telegram and keep on using BB10.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 08:01 AM
    That's not a good news but buying a couple of hundred dollars phone for a free app? No thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 08:28 AM
    Can't really be surprised now come on just another reason to move on people.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-27-16 08:40 AM
    This will be a good test of the notion that BlackBerry can and would simply pay a developer to keep supporting an important app. You know: select the top 20 apps; send a team of developers over to do all the work; write them a check for $1 million; why wouldn't they do it?...yada...yada...yada. You hear this all the time around here.

Well, this is obviously a top 20 app and the developer has explicitly given a drop dead date. They aren't going to just let the app keep running until it stops working. That would be like slowly pulling a band-aid off - months to years of support complaints as the various versions go dark. It's better to take the hit during the holiday season when people are distracted.

That's not a good news but buying a couple of hundred dollars phone for a free app? No thanks.
    In a world where you buy a smartphone of the sole purpose of using one and only one app...
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-27-16 08:57 AM
    Just like Face10, can't a developer make an app to support Whatsapp ?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 08:57 AM
    This will be a good test of the notion that BlackBerry can and would simply pay a developer to keep supporting an important app. You know: select the top 20 apps; send a team of developers over to do all the work; write them a check for $1 million; why wouldn't they do it?...yada...yada...yada. You hear this all the time around here.

Well, this is obviously a top 20 app and the developer has explicitly given a drop dead date. They aren't going to just let the app keep running until it stops working. That would be like slowly pulling a band-aid off - months to years of support complaints as the various versions go dark. It's better to take the hit during the holiday season when people are distracted.
    Yeah that would be like what they've done with Facebook. Yeah they wouldn't do that lol

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 08:59 AM
    I guess we will be forced to force our friends and family to adopt BBM then.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 09:01 AM
    I guess we will be forced to force our friends and family to adopt BBM then.

Posted via CB10
    Or forced to get a new phone.

When a ship is sinking, most people jump on a life boat. Based on some comments above, some people surprisingly go below deck and take a nap.

This is crap! I really wanted my second/backup phone to remain a bb10 device.
    dracolnyte, dolco and moyah8 like this.
    02-27-16 09:13 AM
    Just like Face10, can't a developer make an app to support Whatsapp ?

Posted via CB10
    Theoretically, yes. But it's not "just like Face10", since there is no API and WhatsApp doesn't allow third party clients. In fact, on minor platforms you can find unofficial clients like Yappari on the Nokia N900 and there is an open source library called yowsup(there even used to be OpenWhatsApp for BB10 if anyone can remember) . I still think it's highly unlikely, that we will ever see something like this on BlackBerry 10, since it would take a very dedicated developer setting up a nice UI from scratch, Hub support, Headless functionality and so on. Furthermore said app would need to be well maintained because of WhatsApp changing things from time to time leading to breakage of compatibility with official clients. Oh, and you will never see this in BlackBerry World of course, since it's against WhatsApp policy.

Via Pasta CB10
    02-27-16 09:28 AM
405 123 ...