Hey guys! I've gut a seriously big doubt about encryption om bb 10 devices. Does bb encrypt my whatsapp messages, emails, text messages, phone calls, pictures, etc?
    Thank u!
    07-30-14 04:03 AM
    As far as I know Whatsapp doesn't encrypt on any device or platform. If there is any encryption it is trivial and uses a standard key.

Lack of encryption is a minor problem compared with its use of cellular number (privacy violation) to identify devices, and both of these are trivial when you consider its reported ability to upload ALL your contacts (regardless whether they are Whatsapp users or not) to be datamined on Whatsapp servers. A better name for this app would be Whatscrap.
    07-30-14 06:03 AM
    The only things your device encrypts are anything on it and your SD card if you choose the option to encrypt both. All outgoing communication relies on the security of its transport layer: BBM on a standard BlackBerry uses a common encryption key to transport your messages. Whatsapp, Facebook, and other sources would probably be using their own SSL key or other methods.

For phone calls, the only security is your carrier's own security features for their calling networks. In all of these cases, the handset has very little to do with the overall security of the transmitted data: all its doing is broadcasting it to the next end point: the security is going to be in the transport method, not the input device.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 06:04 AM
    the handset has very little to do with the overall security of the transmitted data: all its doing is broadcasting it to the next end point: the security is going to be in the transport method, not the input device.

Posted via CB10
    So do u mean that if lets say I send a text mssg to another person, while it goes through the net until it gets to the other person it's encrypted?
    And other thing, what's really the security that blackberry sells? I thought it was encryption, I mean what does bb to be more secure than any other phone?
    Thanks!
    07-30-14 06:22 AM
    So do u mean that if lets say I send a text mssg to another person, while it goes through the net until it gets to the other person it's encrypted?
    And other thing, what's really the security that blackberry sells? I thought it was encryption, I mean what does bb to be more secure than any other phone?
    Thanks!
    You really need to do some research on device encryption and protocol encryption. SMS is not encrypted at all, BlackBerry or not. The communications between your handheld and the BSC is encrypted in as much as if the BSC detects another device with the same SIM card and IMEI (cloning) it disconnects BOTH devices from its network. BBMs are scrambled with a public encryption key. If your device is connected to a BES, the admin can force the use of a company encryption key which can only be encrypted and decrypted by devices using that specific encryption key. That all may change in the near future with BlackBerry now acquiring SecuSmart though.

If you enable device encryption on your BlackBerry, there is essentially no means of recovering your data without the device password.
    francisco_2014 likes this.
    07-30-14 06:40 AM
    Sms, phone calls and most IM programs are not encrypted or secure at all, don't use them if you care about your privacy.

BBM is encrypted and much harder to invade your privacy when using it.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 11:13 AM