The full qwerty keyboard on touchscreen is usually not so great for typing in passwords to unlock the device. What kind of password unlock will BB10 have? I wouldn't mind an unlock similar to iPhone where you type in numbers where the on-screen keys are easy to press because of the size of the keys, but I don't want it limited to just four digits.
    01-12-13 11:24 PM
    I'm sure the word password option will remain... I'm hoping to also see a pattern unlock option, but I would be surprised to see a pin option like you are describing.
    01-12-13 11:26 PM
    Haha a pin like the iphone? That's real secure ROFL. The password on my 9900 and 9850 are the same. And they aren't difficult to enter at all. Its a bit easier to do on my 9900 obviously but its not bad on my 9850.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    robkd likes this.
    01-13-13 05:48 AM
    I'm sure the word password option will remain... I'm hoping to also see a pattern unlock option, but I would be surprised to see a pin option like you are describing.
    Anyone know if Pattern Lock is being developed for BB10? That is one of the first apps I purchased back when I got my Storm and been using it ever since (now on my 9800). Well worth it and I'm sure if properly implemented it'll be a hit. Fits in perfectly with the principle of one-handed use in BB10.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-13-13 08:02 AM
    There was another thread on here a while ago asking the same thing but can't remember when, or where. With that said, I'd like to see a fingerprint reader. Apparently, though, Apple has patented a fingerprint lock of some sort so will have to wait and see if that is something that covers all variations or simply one way of doing it. If security is the way of the BB, this would be one great way of ensuring it.
    01-13-13 08:50 AM
    The full qwerty keyboard on touchscreen is usually not so great for typing in passwords to unlock the device. What kind of password unlock will BB10 have? I wouldn't mind an unlock similar to iPhone where you type in numbers where the on-screen keys are easy to press because of the size of the keys, but I don't want it limited to just four digits.
    Just an FYI... The iPhone can have any length of password, with number/letter/special characters, by turning of the "Use Simple Password" setting. A tip I found on iMore. (I have a company issued iPhone, but my personal device is a Blackberry.)

I too am interested in the BB 10 password lock. We'll see on the 30th.
    01-13-13 09:23 AM
    Rim has the original patent for pattern lock last time I checked! its in another thread CrackBerry posted! I would love to see what Rim has made for pattern lock on BB10! Jan 30th Cant Waiitt!!!

01-13-13 09:26 AM
    01-13-13 09:27 AM
    i dont have the article here now. if someone can find it that would be awesome, but it is how RIM was awarded the patent for pattern unlock! this was awhile ago and everyone was saying that since they were awarded that, that it may be coming to BB10! so most likely a similar lock like current BB phones, but they do have the patent for pattern lock!

01-13-13 09:27 AM
    I sent an email to Tafasa, developers of PatternLock. Will post their reply when I get it.

For those that say RIM has a pattern lock patent, if this is coming with BB10 would we not have seen it already? I know some will say that they probably will reveal it on the 30th but I don't think it is such a big selling point that they would want to do this. I mean, we have already seen videos of how the home screen wakes up with an upward gesture so why not show the pattern unlock feature as well?

And on that point, how would a pattern unlock and the "raising curtain" effect interact? Would they be mutually exclusive? The current iteration of PatternLock requires that you turn off the native BB lock feature in order for it to work as intended.
    01-13-13 10:13 AM
    I sent an email to Tafasa, developers of PatternLock. Will post their reply when I get it.

For those that say RIM has a pattern lock patent, if this is coming with BB10 would we not have seen it already? I know some will say that they probably will reveal it on the 30th but I don't think it is such a big selling point that they would want to do this. I mean, we have already seen videos of how the home screen wakes up with an upward gesture so why not show the pattern unlock feature as well?

And on that point, how would a pattern unlock and the "raising curtain" effect interact? Would they be mutually exclusive? The current iteration of PatternLock requires that you turn off the native BB lock feature in order for it to work as intended.
    Well no we wouldn't know about it yet. The reason they wouldn't show it is because they have not shown off even half of the features the phone will have on launch. The lockscreen will offer more than what has been shown. It shows upcoming events, and notifications, but what people may not know is that BB10 has the feature that was shown months ago, where the notifications will open based on movement. If there is a text message you receive when your phone is locked, you can hit the power button and it will say you have a text, then you lift it slightly and it will expand to show you that its a text message from "joe blow", then if you lift it all the way up it will show the message as well. So these are features that will be announced on launch date.

So there are many features to be announced still and I wouldn't be surprised to see a pattern lock of sorts being shown off on Jan 30th. What I don't know is how they would implement the lock screen or pattern lock into the lock screen. Maybe it requires you to do the pattern lock and then once down it takes you to the lock screen we currently are being shown.

Anyways, all will be answered in 2 weeks
    01-13-13 12:15 PM
    Well if anything like Dev Alpha, you swipe up from bottom bezel and it prompts you to type a password, just like most Blackberry phones you have any alphanumeric string you want, including special chars like $, #, @, etcetera (which I use to substitute for S, H, A often.

Maybe there will be 3rd party options?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    01-13-13 12:28 PM
    That would definitely be different. . .
    01-13-13 12:42 PM
    Well no we wouldn't know about it yet. The reason they wouldn't show it is because they have not shown off even half of the features the phone will have on launch. The lockscreen will offer more than what has been shown. It shows upcoming events, and notifications, but what people may not know is that BB10 has the feature that was shown months ago, where the notifications will open based on movement. If there is a text message you receive when your phone is locked, you can hit the power button and it will say you have a text, then you lift it slightly and it will expand to show you that its a text message from "joe blow", then if you lift it all the way up it will show the message as well. So these are features that will be announced on launch date.

So there are many features to be announced still and I wouldn't be surprised to see a pattern lock of sorts being shown off on Jan 30th. What I don't know is how they would implement the lock screen or pattern lock into the lock screen. Maybe it requires you to do the pattern lock and then once down it takes you to the lock screen we currently are being shown.

Anyways, all will be answered in 2 weeks
    Yes, I remember seeing that. That was Awesome looking!
    01-13-13 03:38 PM
    I think how it would work is you have to raise the curtain first and then put in the pattern lock if you have it activated. So what would be shown below the curtain if you have pattern lock? Probably the pattern lock or just the background picture.
    01-13-13 06:08 PM
    I remember seeing that video..I've been trying to find it, does anyone have a link?
    01-13-13 06:34 PM