Google will continue to get hit with more anti-trust charges in many places around the world for their anti-competitive practices. Unfortunately, the US will not be one of them.

Always remember that choice is not good. Do you like Tizen? BB10? Sailfish? Too bad. You will take your Android or IOS because choice is bad for you. You will use what the herd uses and you will like it. And if you try to use your BB10, it won't be for long because we will stop making apps for you. You will assimilate whether you like it or not.

The best trick Google ever played on everyone was having Android as open source but STRICTLY controlling Google Play Services with strong contractual requirements. Anyone with half a brain knew that Android without it wouldn't last long. And then you gotta love how their corporate motto was "Don't be Evil."
    12-08-16 03:49 AM
    Google will continue to get hit with more anti-trust charges in many places around the world for their anti-competitive practices. Unfortunately, the US will not be one of them.

Always remember that choice is not good. Do you like Tizen? BB10? Sailfish? Too bad. You will take your Android or IOS because choice is bad for you. You will use what the herd uses and you will like it. And if you try to use your BB10, it won't be for long because we will stop making apps for you. You will assimilate whether you like it or not.

The best trick Google ever played on everyone was having Android as open source but STRICTLY controlling Google Play Services with strong contractual requirements. Anyone with half a brain knew that Android without it wouldn't last long. And then you gotta love how their corporate motto was "Don't be Evil."
    A "herd" reference! It's been while...
    12-08-16 04:17 AM
    I think if someone had described in detail as you did the way things work on both sides I may have stopped complaining out loud a long time ago lol. Thank you for the excellent explanation and education.

Posted via CB10
    You should always remember that most developers are not bad people and don't make decisions out of spite; it's mostly about money.

Especially Whatsapp, who had exemplary support of their BB10 app with feature parity among all versions, can't be accused of bad intentions.
    12-08-16 04:24 AM
    What he meant to say was: "But if you want Google apps and Services in an OFFICIAL AND LEGAL WAY".

At the end of the day Google apps and services are still Android apps so of course they might run on phones that include the runtime. But stuff like sideloading or patching apps is non-marketable stuff and no serious OS manufacturers will advertise this.
    I didn't see the part where he said "in an OFFICIAL AND LEGAL WAY".
    Also, I was just pointing out to the fact that it can be installed, and don't bother, if it can be marketed by manufacturers or if normal customers would even try to do those work-arounds.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 04:27 AM

Choice is good, but thinking anti-trust charges willl change the huge market-share of Android is at best hopeful thinking. Microsoft has also been hit with the same anti-trust charges and guess what? Windows still has the largest market-share of desktop OS.

People live with the same "limited" pool of choices in the desktop space (you have Windows, Mac OSX and a hadful of Linux distros) and nobody is losing any sleep over it. And there has been no new entry in the desktop OS market in forever.

He desktop and the mobile markets are converging in exactly the same way, with two main OSs and everything else to gather the scraps.
    12-08-16 04:30 AM
    Jolla runs Google apps and services, so no, you are wrong, you don't need to have a pure 100% Android OS.
    I think the OS should be hackable or something, to run Play services.

Posted via CB10
    When BB10 received 10.2.1 OS version and the ability to sideload Android apps, BB did start mentioning that BB10 can run Android apps. But as a serious company, BB could not mention Google Play services or patching apps. They also could not promote Snap and also did NOT allow Snap in BBWorld.

If they had done any of the above, the next day they would have received some calls from some Google lawyers.
    12-08-16 05:03 AM
    You should always remember that most developers are not bad people and don't make decisions out of spite; it's mostly about money.

Especially Whatsapp, who had exemplary support of their BB10 app with feature parity among all versions, can't be accused of bad intentions.
    Yes even though they did make their debut on BlackBerry which was the biggest player at that time soon to be second to iPhone, and helped make WhatsApp the giant it is today. Lol. Just erks me still a bit.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 06:36 AM
    Yes even though they did make their debut on BlackBerry which was the biggest player at that time soon to be second to iPhone, and helped make WhatsApp the giant it is today. Lol. Just erks me still a bit.

Posted via CB10
    BB was the second platform they supported, after iOS. Android support was added 4 months after BB. So pretty much they had apps for all platforms at the time within an year of it's official launch.

I don't think it's growth had much to do with BB; it had more to do with the natural growth of the smartphone market. it was a good and simple to use app that integrated with your already existing contacts.

You can see in the image below that the growth of whataspp is follows a quite similar trend to the growth of the smartphone market.
    http://static4.businessinsider.com/i...tsapp-maus.png
    12-08-16 06:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Eventually you have to move on.
    12-08-16 06:59 AM
    You can't make me! Lol

Ha ha one day but not this day

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 09:49 PM
35 12