I am not bothered by having the lock screen, but I don't see the purpose. My old BlackBerrys never had them, my PlayBook doesn't have one and I am not seeing the point. My iPad has one and I find it completely unnecessary. Why not just turn it on and go? I admit it is fun to play with the lock screen, but I always just do the full swipe and bypass it.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:15 PM
    you need a lock screen to protect people from seeing your actual phone homescreen. Its also a nice place to display things like upcoming appointments and such.
    04-13-13 07:36 PM
    If touch devices didn't have lock screens people would complain that they device does a lot of pocket dials and the likes

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:38 PM
    I assume you're referring to the Z10 lockscreen. I don't have one yet but glad to know that it has that feature. In my opinion all mobile touchscreen devices should have it. I love it on my 9930 as it prevents accidental activation of apps or functions. When I first got it I was constantly activating apps or functions as I holstered or removed it, as well when grabbing for it in my pocket. Now I just hit the button onehanded as I holster it or remove it. So natural it's now instinctive. That also prevents battery draining as an unintentional app activation or enabling a function has drained my battery before realizing it.
    As Howarmat mentioned, privacy and other uses as well. You may not see the need, but I deem it a necessary feature for my use.
    04-13-13 07:54 PM
    My only beef with the Z10 lock screen (I have it because my work uses Exchange) is it uses the full keyboard plus numbers. Wish it was more like the iOS and just used a Number pad with larger keys.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    04-13-13 08:15 PM
    Yea its been discussed in a few threads about changing the lock screen password input to just numbers mm maybe this will be in a future update

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 08:17 PM
    My only beef with the Z10 lock screen (I have it because my work uses Exchange) is it uses the full keyboard plus numbers. Wish it was more like the iOS and just used a Number pad with larger keys.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    Why? I don't have any numbers in my unlock password, nor is it limited in length. Makes perfect sense to display both numbers and characters. I brought my unlock code over from my 9810, so this is nothing new for a BlackBerry user.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-13-13 08:20 PM
    the purpose is: to lock your screen

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-13-13 09:59 PM
    the purpose is: to lock your screen

Posted via CB10
    But if the screen is off, then it is locked. My Bold had a touch screen and when I was done using the phone I would push the button on top and turn it off. I never bum dialed anyone ever because the screen was off.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 10:40 PM
    I assume you're referring to the Z10 lockscreen. I don't have one yet but glad to know that it has that feature. In my opinion all mobile touchscreen devices should have it. I love it on my 9930 as it prevents accidental activation of apps or functions. When I first got it I was constantly activating apps or functions as I holstered or removed it, as well when grabbing for it in my pocket. Now I just hit the button onehanded as I holster it or remove it. So natural it's now instinctive. That also prevents battery draining as an unintentional app activation or enabling a function has drained my battery before realizing it.
    As Howarmat mentioned, privacy and other uses as well. You may not see the need, but I deem it a necessary feature for my use.
    With my Bold, I was accustomed to turning off the phone using the button on top so I never accidentally did anything. My torch was the same, no lock screen and no accidents. The lock screen on my z10 does nothing for me, I bypass it every time, it just seems to be in the way. It is not even a lock screen, it is just a layer between the off state and the unlock screen if your phone is password protected.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    04-13-13 10:50 PM
    With my Bold, I was accustomed to turning off the phone using the button on top so I never accidentally did anything. My torch was the same, no lock screen and no accidents. The lock screen on my z10 does nothing for me, I bypass it every time, it just seems to be in the way. It is not even a lock screen, it is just a layer between the off state and the unlock screen if your phone is password protected.

Posted via CB10
    I agree completely. The lock screen is useless if no password is set. The phone isn't locked; why have a lock screen?

It should at least be optional.

Posted via CB10
    robson21 likes this.
    04-13-13 11:06 PM
    for me even without a password i like having the screen to see my appts, date/time weather, battery %. Even on the Z10 lockscreen i cant get all that data but i get some. I really wish you could get a agenda/appt type widget with more that 1-2 entries but probably not going to happen
    04-13-13 11:13 PM
    Yeah since I added my work email, I am forced to use a password lock. I didn't mind on the qwerty BlackBerry I have since it's much easier to input my password . I hope they give us the option to use a number keypad in the future and just get us to agree on terms that a PIN isn't as secure.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 11:17 PM
    I was hoping for some media controls too, maybe towards the bottom of the lock screen,

Posted via unlocked Z10 on T-Mo in SoCal
    04-14-13 12:27 AM
    Can we have the option to turn the calender on the touch screen off? Sometimes I have hospital reminders that I can't delete but don't want people to see if they glance at or touch my phone when it's locked :/

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 01:36 AM
    I agree completely. The lock screen is useless if no password is set. The phone isn't locked; why have a lock screen?

It should at least be optional.

Posted via CB10
    Set the option to use the power button instead of gestures then.

04-14-13 09:01 AM

This just adds another step. press button to wake device then swipe up to unlock.
    04-14-13 09:14 AM
    Having the swipe to unlock lends to the whole concept of a buttonless experience.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:24 AM
    Can we have the option to turn the calender on the touch screen off? Sometimes I have hospital reminders that I can't delete but don't want people to see if they glance at or touch my phone when it's locked :/

Posted via CB10
    Right there with you on this one, we should have the option to Toggle certain display options on and off, even text messages, emails, etc.

Posted via unlocked Z10 on T-Mo in SoCal
    04-14-13 09:40 AM

You still get the lock screen when you do this, and it is worse because there is no way to bypass it. I can bypass the start screen with a full bezel to bezel swipe. The button always takes me to the lock screen.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 10:33 AM
    Security

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 12:53 PM
    Security
    The lock screen adds zero security, unless you have a password set. If you don't, the lock screen is simply something to get rid of, to get to the actual business of using the phone.

Yes, having swipe to unlock adds to the "buttonless" experience, but we're not discussing whether swipe to unlock should be obligatory. As things stand, it isn't. We're allowed to turn that off and use the button, not to unlock the phone, but to wake it up.

I can understand howarmat's point about the display of various notifications. Maybe we shouldn't even think of it as a "lock screen," but rather as a notification summary screen. If so, it should be completely customizable, in terms of content and in terms of whether we have to see it at all. Others apparently want to use it as a kind of top-level home screen, with media controls etc. That's fine, for those who want it.

The "lock screen" doesn't protect agains accidental dialing and button pushing, for the most part, because when the screen times out and goes dark, it also becomes unresponsive to accidental inputs. The only time it provides any such protection is when you wake the phone up "halfway" to look at the lock screen itself, but go no further. This is fine, for people who find value in it, but for the rest of us it's simply a pointless extra step to get to operate the phone. We should have the ability to disable it from the settings menu.
    04-14-13 02:22 PM
    The lock screen adds zero security, unless you have a password set. If you don't, the lock screen is simply something to get rid of, to get to the actual business of using the phone.

Yes, having swipe to unlock adds to the "buttonless" experience, but we're not discussing whether swipe to unlock should be obligatory. As things stand, it isn't. We're allowed to turn that off and use the button, not to unlock the phone, but to wake it up.

I can understand howarmat's point about the display of various notifications. Maybe we shouldn't even think of it as a "lock screen," but rather as a notification summary screen. If so, it should be completely customizable, in terms of content and in terms of whether we have to see it at all. Others apparently want to use it as a kind of top-level home screen, with media controls etc. That's fine, for those who want it.

The "lock screen" doesn't protect agains accidental dialing and button pushing, for the most part, because when the screen times out and goes dark, it also becomes unresponsive to accidental inputs. The only time it provides any such protection is when you wake the phone up "halfway" to look at the lock screen itself, but go no further. This is fine, for people who find value in it, but for the rest of us it's simply a pointless extra step to get to operate the phone. We should have the ability to disable it from the settings menu.
    Nice to know I am not alone in thinking this. I wonder if it will be different on the Q10?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 03:35 PM
    Nice to know I am not alone in thinking this. I wonder if it will be different on the Q10?

Posted via CB10
    Doubtful - It will probably be called "Press key to Unlock" ;-)

04-14-13 03:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think if you set the appointment as private it won't show the details on the lock screen, just that you have an appointment.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 04:01 PM