What needs to be done for my IT department to support BB10?
I am one of those rare guys who bring my own BlackBerry to work (yeah, pioneered in BYOD, just not in a popular direction). So I talks a lot with our IT about the upcoming BB10, who BTW would not know much about it.
Now they believe they will need a new BES server, running along side with the current BES server to support the new and old BlackBerrys, and the management front end will be able to manage iPhone and droids too. They're concerned that RIM may sink so they won't buy the new server or new devices until at least 6 months after the launch.
Here are my questions:
1. Are those information accurate?
2. If they don't buy the server or the new device, I might have to bring my own BB10 to work. Do I need the new BES server to connect to my work mail and calendar? I know in Dev alpha you can use active sync to do this, but have read posts or articles saying RIM is going to bundle BB10 with BIS and BES again. Does that mean I will not be able to use active sync for my work email and calendar if my IT don't install the new BES server?
- 12-08-2012, 09:24 AM #2
1. In a nutshell, yes that's accurate.
2. If your workplace has an exchange server with web access, you may be able to access your work email and calendar over BIS. Depends on their security settings and what BB10 supports, but I would say it's likely.
Free trade up program is not practical, any enterprises who are still interested in using BlackBerry would need both the old and the new BES licenses for a period of time to manage both BB10 devices and old blackberries. How could they trade up the old licenses? Forcing the clients to phase out old berries?
- By gtaboso in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 08-25-2010, 05:05 AM
- By BB 8703e in forum BlackBerry 87xx SeriesReplies: 4Last Post: 01-29-2010, 05:32 PM
- By scis30 in forum AT&TReplies: 12Last Post: 05-14-2009, 10:17 PM
- By caseywan in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 3Last Post: 04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
- By high life in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 4Last Post: 02-22-2009, 10:11 PM