Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeo007
  • 2 Post By TomJasper
  1. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What needs to be done for my IT department to support BB10?

I am one of those rare guys who bring my own BlackBerry to work (yeah, pioneered in BYOD, just not in a popular direction). So I talks a lot with our IT about the upcoming BB10, who BTW would not know much about it.

Now they believe they will need a new BES server, running along side with the current BES server to support the new and old BlackBerrys, and the management front end will be able to manage iPhone and droids too. They're concerned that RIM may sink so they won't buy the new server or new devices until at least 6 months after the launch.

Here are my questions:

1. Are those information accurate?
    2. If they don't buy the server or the new device, I might have to bring my own BB10 to work. Do I need the new BES server to connect to my work mail and calendar? I know in Dev alpha you can use active sync to do this, but have read posts or articles saying RIM is going to bundle BB10 with BIS and BES again. Does that mean I will not be able to use active sync for my work email and calendar if my IT don't install the new BES server?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,746 Global Posts

1. In a nutshell, yes that's accurate.

2. If your workplace has an exchange server with web access, you may be able to access your work email and calendar over BIS. Depends on their security settings and what BB10 supports, but I would say it's likely.
    Thanked by:
    aha (12-08-2012) 
    aha likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Thanked by:
    aha (12-08-2012) 
    aha and AfroZepher like this.
  4. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I just checked the link out, honestly it contains no substance. It looks professional but doesn't really have any selling power. It 's like the old marketing strategy all over again: we got something good here, if you pay and I will show you. Nop, browsing this page is not enough for me to show you how to get ready for BB10, but if you use my service of getting you ready, you will know how to get ready. Good device will sell themselves so I am not too worried that you will be scared away by the trouble you have to go through to get the info before you make decision to go with us, we are rim and this has been how we roll for years. Nop, bulletin points never work in our professional world, so we are not giving you a highlights.
  5. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Free trade up program is not practical, any enterprises who are still interested in using BlackBerry would need both the old and the new BES licenses for a period of time to manage both BB10 devices and old blackberries. How could they trade up the old licenses? Forcing the clients to phase out old berries?
    CrackBerry Abuser

"What needs to be done for my IT department to support BB10?"

I would think one major security breach should just about do it ....................