I understand that BlackBerry is new and ios is old. And tbh ios 6 and older were never really fluid, but aside from ios 7's (and soon ios 8) bright colors, they really nailed the fluidity. Everything there is smooth and buttery and feels amazing, whereas bb10 and most of the other os's (except for windows phone os) feel dated and not smooth. Don't take this the wrong way, bb10 doesn't lag but that's different from being smooth. You need to use ios 7 to know what I am talking about. And I know it's not the flat theme because 10.3 has the flat theme and it still isn't really "smooth"

What makes ios and windows phone os smooth?

Posted via CB10
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    08-19-14 02:55 PM
    My BlackBerry is very smooth.

Just like a babies ****

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 03:01 PM
    They have a long experience in operating system and know what they are doing. Plus they aren't having to run two operating systems once. Would be very interesting to see how BB10 performed without the Android Runtime and without BBM.

If they had really treated the PlayBook as BB10 phase one... had it ready at launch do be a full tablet. Priced it as a developer tool to build the ecosystem. Then worked hard to get developers on board as the user based expanded. They could have dropped the whole runtime at this point...
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    08-19-14 03:07 PM
    I came from iOS and it is indeed more fluid than Android but not that much better than BlackBerry 10 I'd say. Technically it has to do with the events management in the OS. While iOS and BlackBerry use micro kernels known for fast responses it is not the case for Linux (the core of Android) which was designed for servers where zou want your resources distributed in a fair matter. Sure it's fixed to some extend but in my experience you need a free cpu core for touchscreen events available all the time on android while iOS and BlackBerry handle them well even under full load.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 03:08 PM
    Depends what device you are talking about. First off the iPhone 5s has the lowest resolution display of anything out there married to among the fastest cpu and gpu available. Less pixels + more power = higher framerate.
    Gearheadaddy and Douken like this.
    08-19-14 03:08 PM
    Depends what device you are talking about. First off the iPhone 5s has the lowest resolution display of anything out there married to among the fastest cpu and gpu available. Less pixels + more power = higher framerate.
    I guess that is the explanation. But I still feel like ios software (only ios 7 and 8) are "smooth". I don't know how to describe it but it's a feeling that is very different from android and bb10. Windows phone os also has this smooth feeling to it

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 03:13 PM
    Also could just be the way they have created the transition animations that are giving this perception. Sorry not really all that familiar with iOS or windows phone
    dibbis, southlander and ronfc like this.
    08-19-14 03:17 PM
    I guess that is the explanation. But I still feel like ios software (only ios 7 and 8) are "smooth". I don't know how to describe it but it's a feeling that is very different from android and bb10. Windows phone os also has this smooth feeling to it

Posted via CB10
    Maybe it's the animations?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 03:18 PM
    Could be the transition easing they use :shrugs:

Here's what I mean : http://matthewlein.com/ceaser/
    (it would be best to check it out on a pc using Chrome or Firefox )
    08-19-14 03:20 PM
    It's no secret that Apple prioritizes the details of the user experience. First, there is very tight integration of hardware and software. For all the bashing that Apple takes around here for controlling the hardware, the payoff is that iOS is highly optimized to take advantage of the hardware that it runs on.
    08-19-14 03:26 PM
    iphones actually have very powerful proprietary processors and the development kits they use to build apps are very sophisticated. It all comes from being the oldest relevant mobile OS and knowing how to scale it from the start.

That being said there are always pros and cons.

Apple biggest strength is how they optimise their own proprietary hardware and software to work well with each other.

Differentiate or Die
    08-19-14 03:48 PM
    only took them 6 interations of hardware and software to get smooth.... :S
    nick13b likes this.
    08-19-14 04:02 PM
    I don't find either of the iOS 7 devices in our house any smoother than the BB10 devices, until I run some third party apps. Some are obviously not written with the recommended threading model. Even CB10 just put some processing off the event thread that should have been moved right from the start. BB10 has such an easy thread model too, at least compared to BBOS.

If you want a responsive UI, you can't do anything that takes more than a frame or two (1/60th to 1/30th of a second) on the event thread.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 04:10 PM
    Maybe it's the animations?

Posted via CB10
    Then why can't BlackBerry just implement similar transitions. It'd make the os look much superior to the way it is atm

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-19-14 04:23 PM
    I think 10.3.1 will have some of this you ask for.

Posted via CB10
    eduzojordan and Jrox74 like this.
    08-19-14 04:25 PM
    What makes them so smooth? Butter... creamy butter.

Actually, I find that sometimes animations hop and jerk in iOS, especially on an iPad when switching between albums in the music app and rotating the screen. Not often, but noticeable.
    08-19-14 05:02 PM
    I understand that BlackBerry is new and ios is old. And tbh ios 6 and older were never really fluid, but aside from ios 7's (and soon ios 8) bright colors, they really nailed the fluidity. Everything there is smooth and buttery and feels amazing, whereas bb10 and most of the other os's (except for windows phone os) feel dated and not smooth. Don't take this the wrong way, bb10 doesn't lag but that's different from being smooth. You need to use ios 7 to know what I am talking about. And I know it's not the flat theme because 10.3 has the flat theme and it still isn't really "smooth"

What makes ios and windows phone os smooth?

Posted via CB10

Hardware. Better gpu and ram, smoother flow.
    It also may vary in the os on the animation and transition side (coding).

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 05:14 PM
    To the OP it's getting better with every release. I noticed a big difference between 10.0 and 10.1 in particular. I would imagine this problem will solve itself organically as the OS evolves and hardware improves. Remember the Z10 is effectively the exact same hardware as a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Z30 is basically a Nexus 4 with 2 less cores. Everything that gets released from here on out is a lot more powerful than what we currently have
    08-19-14 05:23 PM
    The other day I used an iPhone 4S with iOS 7 on it for several hours. It was far from smooth, in fact it had such serious lag it reminded me of the bad old days of pre-BB10 legacy BBOS running on underpowered BlackBerry Curve phones. We are talking 4 or 5 seconds between tapping a button on screen and it reacting, and that was with no other apps open.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-19-14 05:25 PM
    What makes them so smooth? Butter... creamy butter.

Actually, I find that sometimes animations hop and jerk in iOS, especially on an iPad when switching between albums in the music app and rotating the screen. Not often, but noticeable.
    That's obviously because of lack of ram which means less resources therefore jumps. We shouldn't have that problem since we have 1 GB more than them, so why don't they try to make the bb10 os just a bit smoother.

Also one more thing I'd like improved, is the white. The white of the hub and the bottom bar of both applications and active frames (10.3 and 10.3.1) is not the same white as on windows and ios. This white is a solid, dull and ugly white. I wish they changed it to ios or windows white

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 05:30 PM
    Hardware. Better gpu and ram, smoother flow.
    It also may vary in the os on the animation and transition side (coding).

Posted via CB10
    BB 10 devices have 1 GB more RAM than Iphones and ipads

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 05:31 PM
    The other day I used an iPhone 4S with iOS 7 on it for several hours. It was far from smooth, in fact it had such serious lag it reminded me of the bad old days of pre-BB10 legacy BBOS running on underpowered BlackBerry Curve phones. We are talking 4 or 5 seconds between tapping a button on screen and it reacting, and that was with no other apps open.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    That's the iPhone 4s. The device isn't actually too bad but apple reduced speed in it and increased lag so users would be tempted to upgrade their phone.

Use any iPhone 5c or 5s and you'll see how smooth it is.

And btw, I'm not referring to smooth as the opposite of lag but once you use one of these devices, you'll understand what I mean by smooth

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 05:33 PM
    BB 10 devices have 1 GB more RAM than Iphones and ipads

Posted via CB10
    More doesn't necessarily mean better, all RAM is not created equal. Z10 may have double the amount of RAM but could also have double the latency, or a higher bus speed. I'm not aware of the numbers in truth, just tossing out another fact about hardware that might have some relevance.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 05:56 PM
    Aside from the hardware aspects I believe there is an amount of optimizing and fine tuning required on the software side. I believe it is not a one shot deal, it's not natural to a computer. Thus to make the user interface seem truly smooth there needs to be some fine tuning.
    08-19-14 06:02 PM
    More doesn't necessarily mean better, all RAM is not created equal. Z10 may have double the amount of RAM but could also have double the latency, or a higher bus speed. I'm not aware of the numbers in truth, just tossing out another fact about hardware that might have some relevance.

Posted via CB10
    Very true but it wouldn't be that drastic of a change. That's like saying a 1 MP camera can be better than a 45 MP camera. It can appear that way because of some changes but the 45 MP camera will always look better once the picture is zoomed in

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 06:03 PM
147 123 ...