Yes the topic is OS but you can't deny the fact that the ecosystem has everything to do with it. So what if you can swipe to your hearts desire? The fact is that people want all the other amazing apps, or tech that makes a a device do more things than email, phone or messaging.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 06:58 AM
    Galaxy nexus, samsung galaxy s3 both phones lagged, but for some reason a dual core q10 runs much smoother than my Nexus 4 quad core.

Is this the power of QNX? Or is it really that android os is very ressource hungry and inefficient? No wonder car manufacturers and other industry devices have chosen qnx as their standard infotainment platform over android.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG, R Field and John Pawling like this.
    05-19-13 09:05 AM
    Galaxy nexus, samsung galaxy s3 both phones lagged, but for some reason a dual core q10 runs much smoother than my Nexus 4 quad core.

Is this the power of QNX? Or is it really that android os is very ressource hungry and inefficient? No wonder car manufacturers and other industry devices have chosen qnx as their standard infotainment platform over android.

Posted via CB10
    Android is known to be a slow piece of crap OS lol.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG and MasterOfBinary like this.
    05-19-13 12:25 PM
    Here's an example of what I'm getting at.

I quite like the PlayCloud app. But what I don't like is that you can't change the default file manager in OS10. That means if you're editing a document and save it, the built-in file manager is called by the app and you can't save the file directly to your cloud drive.

Does the OS allow for developers of apps like PlayCloud to add to or extend the functionality of the built in apps? Could the PlayCloud dev build an app that integrates right into the native file manager giving it access to cloud drives?

Anyone?
    05-21-13 06:53 PM
    Actually, the QNX POSIX-certified RTOS safety-certified embedded microkernel OS has a lot to do with what developers can or cannot do (or do well).

(1) POSIX-certified means that it acts as a sponge and absorbs everything. Developers don't develop their apps from scratch --- they all have existing codes from somewhere.

(2) RTOS means QNX runs both the GUI and the radio.
    (3) Embedded means QNX has 30 years of running on limited CPU/RAM resources --- these QNX engineers are hardcore C engineers who thinks C++ is fat and bloated. And more CPU/RAM resources left for you developers. It also means it cost less money to build a blackberry in the future in terms of hardware cost.

(2)+(3) means it is the fastest smartphone OS on earth. Geekbench results are telling you that a dual core Z10 beats a number of quad core smartphones and it is much faster than comparable Galaxy S3 running the same 1.5 GHz MSM8960.

Samsung Galaxy S 4 Octa Benchmarks

(4) safety-certified microkernel means that QNX can do certain things like NFC payments and DRM that Android cannot do. The way NFC payments and DRM is done in Android is to boot a second very small safety-certified OS.
    just a screen shot of my highest geekbench score, and since 10.1 i've been gettign steady 1820s, we've also had a member geekbench at 1927
    Attached Thumbnails What makes BB10 a superior OS to iOS and Android?-img_00000152.jpg  
    05-21-13 08:02 PM
    Higher is better I'm assuming?

I know QNX needs a little less power, but people are going to have these phones for three years. Will these phones hold their own in three years or will they be lagging behind other phones of today?

I find even now apps take a little long to load and the graphics are frequently a little choppy.
    05-21-13 08:20 PM
    It may not be the physical hardware that are causing the choppyness it may be the way the app is coded and it may also come down to how much power it's actually using. Remember cooling on a mobile device is not always good, it actually Sucks so the more you use your phone the hotter they get and the slower they will get.

Case being I'm sure with prolonged gaming on most devices will yield similar outcomes. This even happens with desktop and laptop computers although we don't notice as much as they have larger heat sinks and cooling fans,byt hard core gamers and tech geeks will push liquid cooling to counteract the heat effect on the hardware.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 10:17 PM
    You can run Android 2.3.3 OS apps on the device now, and when 10.2 drops you will be able to run Android 4.2.2 OS apps:
    Release roadmap - Runtime for Android apps - BlackBerry Developer
    So why by an Android when you can run their apps on BBs and also do everything BBs do better like a fully integrated messaging experience (the Hub).

My 2 cents.
    thats great in theory, but many of those apps run like **** on BB10. Same goes for ports & sideloads.
    05-21-13 11:09 PM
    thats great in theory, but many of those apps run like **** on BB10. Same goes for ports & sideloads.
    the android player right now is also a dated version of android so apps may not be compatible with the later versions which is why we see issues with them, and as the early versions of android were buggy and glitchy this shows in the way the player is playing these android apps
    05-22-13 06:47 PM
    I don't think it's superior, can't get Netflix on bb10 - oh crap wrong thread.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 07:12 PM
    The name

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 07:18 PM
    I know this may sound cliche but email on BlackBerry is far superior and I use my company email lots. I hate email on IOS its awful. I also love the Z10 screen size more and the UI. I've never used an android device though. Iphone is good and I like it but I just like Z10 better I just can't wait for more apps :-)

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 07:30 PM
    IOS android and BlackBerry 10 "Feel" different. I prefer the feel of native BlackBerry 10 apps using Cascades. Take the CB 10 app for example. It's just so slick. Like flicking through a deck of cards.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    05-23-13 01:39 AM
    My biggest gripe with iOS is the difficulty in getting data from place to place. If I want to get data onto the iPhone, I have to jump through hoops. On my Z10, I can open File Manager, and copy files of any time from phone to cloud to PC and back with now restrictions. Want to load a .mobi ebook for Kindle on iOS? You need iTunes and a physical connection.
    05-23-13 03:16 AM
    That's why they are updating the engine and adding hardware acceleration.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    05-23-13 09:55 PM
    Have a look at the jolla/sailfish demo videos, this is what I think think bb10,iOS and android need to aspire to for an interface as bb10 feels the freshest interface but has some features lacking but iOS and android look very dated in comparison. The functionality of the jolla phone is unknown so this may be where it falls down though.
    05-24-13 12:36 AM
91 ... 234