For many people, they have the official version of BlackBerry 10.2.1 now and, two days in to the rollout I'm curious about something.

Last year, several BlackBerry users on CrackBerry (a lot running leaks) said that once 10.2.1 became official, we'd get an OFFICIAL version of Google Play.
    It was said that it would be sanctioned by both BlackBerry and Google.

Well, where is this mythical Google Play for BB10?
    Answers on a postcard, please.

Note, this is not about the Android app stores that are available, this is about getting a fully official version of Google Play on BB10.
    This post isn't written to troll or flame, simply to question.
    BigAl_BB9900, randall2580 and Uzi like this.
    01-30-14 12:55 PM
    That was never confirmed, only rumors and speculation

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 01:01 PM
    That was never confirmed, only rumors and speculation

Posted via CB10
    The people on here that said it was coming as good as promised.
    Will they now say "it's coming in 10.3"?
    01-30-14 01:04 PM
    It was never official at all. just a bunch of people running on nothing but rumors
    01-30-14 01:04 PM
    It was never official at all. just a bunch of people running on nothing but rumors
    That's exactly what I said at the time and was shot down in flames......
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-30-14 01:05 PM
    That's exactly what I said at the time and was shot down in flames......
    well you want a cookie? i never believed it was coming either but who knows what the future brings.
    01-30-14 01:17 PM
    "People on here" as in CB Staff or members?
    The people on here that said it was coming as good as promised.
    Will they now say "it's coming in 10.3"?
    01-30-14 01:19 PM
    I have always doubted that Google Play was coming. A much more believable rumor, or speculation would be that BBRY will come to some sort of agreement with a 3rd party store like Amazon or 1Mobile.
    01-30-14 01:22 PM
    It's coming. Soon.
    01-30-14 01:23 PM
    "People on here" as in CB Staff or members?
    I don't believe any CB staff ever said anything but being doubtful!
    MERCDROID and diegonei like this.
    01-30-14 01:23 PM
    I remember this being said also.
    I won't call those out who said it though, those threads are still open.

Posted via CB10
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-30-14 01:25 PM
    Unfortunately you have to be careful what you believe on here. If you go read the BlackBerry developer blog, it is pretty clear that the ability to run APKs is intended for Android developers, not average users. Maybe if it becomes a runaway success, and now that Google has kicked their handset division to the curb, it could change. But don't hold your breath. Look at it from BlackBerry's point of view. If they provide official baked in support for Google Play, and the wrong user downloads some piece of malware, the downside for BlackBerry would be huge. The official line is that Android applications should be converted and put in BlackBerry World where FSecure and BlackBerry can scan them for malicious action. I don't see that changing.
    01-30-14 01:26 PM
    I am not sure I recall any staffers saying this either. The consensus by most tenured folks was "it'll be surprising but most definitely welcome."
    01-30-14 01:28 PM
    Exactly. That was my point
    01-30-14 01:30 PM
    When it comes to the internet, StateFarm says it best.

Enjoy

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 01:33 PM
    If I remember correctly, you also said, it will NEVER happen, and some said it could , some said 10.2.1

So yes your right, it didn't come in 10.2.1

But you don't know if you're right with the "NEVER" part.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    deezy87, hamsterwheel and stitch69 like this.
    01-30-14 01:50 PM
    It's coming. Soon.
    Well considering it won't come before 10.3, and we won't get that until fall, what do you mean by soon??

Excuse me if I'm skeptical, you're always very certain and rarely correct.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    01-30-14 02:17 PM
    For many people, they have the official version of BlackBerry 10.2.1 now and, two days in to the rollout I'm curious about something.

Last year, several BlackBerry users on CrackBerry (a lot running leaks) said that once 10.2.1 became official, we'd get an OFFICIAL version of Google Play.
    It was said that it would be sanctioned by both BlackBerry and Google.

Well, where is this mythical Google Play for BB10?
    Answers on a postcard, please.

Note, this is not about the Android app stores that are available, this is about getting a fully official version of Google Play on BB10.
    This post isn't written to troll or flame, simply to question.
    You need to learn to ignore rumours in here. They're almost always incorrect. It's usually wishful thinking.
    01-30-14 02:18 PM
    They didn't.
    It was cocky users and their 'sources'

Translate 'sources' to imagination.
    01-30-14 02:19 PM
    It's pretty obvious to me that blackberrys plan all along was to start offering strait apk's for download in blackberry app world rather than forcing developers to convert their apps to bar files. I think the wording of the disclaimer in the apk installer hints at this, and I think it makes sense that eliminating as many extra steps for developers as possible will make releasing their apps for bb10 a no brainer for them.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 02:30 PM
    All I remember was three members in one thread arguing non stop. Verrrry boring. Longest nonsense thread ever.

Via CB10 Rogers Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925/1926 Radio
    01-30-14 02:51 PM
    I think its more likely they just turned a very % of their userbase into beta testers for direct apk of apps of all types. Its easy to imagine how any given app, if it professionally designed... monitors what type of phones install and run their app....

Now if I designed an android app.... and I make money from the app.... and I suddenly see that a million blackberries are using my app... I may actually develop a bb app.... just sayin...

It's pretty obvious to me that blackberrys plan all along was to start offering strait apk's for download in blackberry app world rather than forcing developers to convert their apps to bar files. I think the wording of the disclaimer in the apk installer hints at this, and I think it makes sense that eliminating as many extra steps for developers as possible will make releasing their apps for bb10 a no brainer for them.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 03:00 PM
    Well they were right about apk support at least.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 04:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't agree with this. As easy as it is to install APKs now in 10.2.1, and as awesome as it is to be able to do this, they still aren't offered in BlackBerry World (and won't be). Any dev who wants to be specifically exposed to BB10 users would still need to take out an account in BB World, get signing keys, and convert their apps to .bar files.

"Why should they go to the trouble?", you might ask. There's one good reason: there are only a couple hundred thousand or so apps in BB World, so it's a lot easier to stand out. At least some Android developers have reported stronger sales (and profits) from converted .bars than they were making on Google Play.

And there's still at least one very powerful incentive for developers to create native Cascades apps: they're still the only ones allowed in the "Work" store on Balance. Even Android apps that have been converted to .bars aren't allowed. Any developer who believes in BB10's potential in the enterprise market will still seriously look at doing this.
    01-30-14 04:15 PM
    well you want a cookie? i never believed it was coming either but who knows what the future brings.

What happened to BlackBerry 10.2.1 getting Google Play?-mockit_30012014151548.jpg

Sent from the future on my ? Z10
    01-30-14 04:19 PM
83 123 ...