Hi, i tried searching but could not find much information so i am asking here.
    I am thinking about switching from 9900 to a BB10 device. Since it is written from scratch i am wondering what (not so popular) BB7 features i could be missing on BB10? I could get fairly decent amount of "low level"/technical data about device and networks on BB7 and that kind of stuff is important for me (to consider a phone 'smart'). Does BB10 still have tools like wifi diagnostics, site survey, dns lookup, ping, network diagnostic test, service status etc? Those are the ones that i regularly use, but i would like to hear if you are missing some other tools/options from BB10 too.

Thanks.
    09-07-13 07:26 PM
    Hmm... gonna have to think back now!

Let's see...

If you go for a Z10, you'll lose Keyboard shortcuts (Kind of a given, really!). Custom notifications are coming, as well as headless apps. - BIS is no longer required for BB10, which means you'll lose Data Compression (But at the same time, not have to pay the extra fee for using BIS) - Apps purchased for your 9900 won't run on BB10... Can't think of anything else right now.

**SORRY!**

Should have read your post correctly/go to bed

Yes, I'm running 10.2 but all those network diagnostic features are available for WiFi.
    09-07-13 07:37 PM
    What features are missing in BB10?-img_20130972.png

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 07:39 PM
    What features are missing in BB10?-img_20130973.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by elite1; 09-07-13 at 10:59 PM. Reason: removed quote of deleted post
    09-07-13 07:47 PM
    The only let down of bb10 really is the lack of apps
    09-08-13 01:27 AM
    The main thing I would tell anyone is don't think it is another BBOS device. The OS is different i.e. no buttons, BlackBerry Hub, Peek Feature ect.. The diagnostic information you look for is available in the 10.2 build which is not currently available unless you can download a leak (very simple to do) if not it is available in about a month or two. Overall I think you would be pleased but just watch a video on the features and use the tutorial when you get started as this can save you lots of time and possible headaches

Posted via Z10
    09-08-13 03:05 AM
    You will lose
    Spell check. It's been replaced by auto correct.
    Check spelling before sending email
    Holster options. (No way for the phone to go to vibrate automatically when in holster)
    No way to have the email open automatically when you take the phone out of your holster.
    In general it's not as snappy. It's more flashy.

You're basically losing the things that defined a blackberry. BB 10 is just a normal smartphone now that lacks fundamental features that business users relied on.
    09-08-13 07:28 AM
    About the only things I miss right now are holster profiles and contact groups/categories.

Coming from my 9700:
    - I have a lot more application options than I did on the 9700.
    - I have a lot more memory to install more apps.
    - Flicking words and text prediction is a big plus.
    - I can still create word substitutions, which I still use a lot.
    - My device goes to sleep in the holster and wakes up when removed.

The few things I see missing are things that can easily be added in a software update.

One thing people have to remember: just like moving to Android or iOS, BlackBerry 10 is a completely different operating system. You have to go into it with an open mind and not expect it to be exactly like another operating system, including legacy BBOS.
    09-08-13 09:56 AM
    What I miss on my Q10 is:
    advanced bedside mode
    Holster profiles (& having the KB lock while in the holster)
    ability to have local & home time on my main clock (though they do have a very nice world clock)
    Charging pod (don't care if they do it with wireless charging or bring back the charging contacts but I really don't like unplugging the phone when I'm groggy in the morning)

I also miss
    Headless Apps.
    Viber (though won't need it once BBM goes cross-platform)
    However these are all coming soon in 10.2.

And that's about it. I'm sure there is probably something that I've missed, but it can't be that important if I can't think of it.

BTW
    A previous poster said that BB10 does not have spell check. It does.
    09-08-13 10:15 AM
    What I don't miss?
    Battery Pulls
    sgt_snacks-64 likes this.
    09-08-13 10:22 AM
    What I don't miss?
    Battery Pulls
    And crippling hourglassing!

*BB10 does, but not in the same way. You can still use the Damn phone!*

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:23 AM
    Hmm... gonna have to think back now!

Let's see...

If you go for a Z10, you'll lose Keyboard shortcuts (Kind of a given, really!). Custom notifications are coming, as well as headless apps. - BIS is no longer required for BB10, which means you'll lose Data Compression (But at the same time, not have to pay the extra fee for using BIS) - Apps purchased for your 9900 won't run on BB10... Can't think of anything else right now.

**SORRY!**

Should have read your post correctly/go to bed

Yes, I'm running 10.2 but all those network diagnostic features are available for WiFi.
    You lose keyboard shortcuts on the q10 as well. And no speed dialing. I would stay with the 9900, I know I wish I did.

Posted via CB10
    jessefree likes this.
    09-08-13 10:29 PM
    You lose keyboard shortcuts on the q10 as well. And no speed dialing. I would stay with the 9900, I know I wish I did.

Posted via CB10
    Speed dialing is available with the Q10, however you can only do it from the screen that you enter numbers in the phone "app." There is also the "most frequently called" list of 4 individuals you can speed-dial to as well, which I'm assuming is there on all BB10 phones.

Here's what I miss from my pre-BB10 BlackBerrys:
    -keyboard shortcuts from the home screen
    -keyboard shortcuts being usable via apps such as ShortcutMe
    -being able to create custom profiles
    -headless apps
    -having the option of knowing when bluetooth's on with the blue notification light
    -keys not getting pressed on the BB as I'm pulling it out of the OEM holster

Keep in mind that BlackBerry has always taken the two steps forward, one step backward approach even when moving up from OS 6 to 7 for eg, or any other big OS change for that matter. This is a bit of a bigger jump due to this being a new OS altogether, so while the 2 steps forward are quite a bit larger. My advice is if there is a return policy in the area you live in, buy the phone and try it for a few days and decide if the lacking features are deal breakers for you. I did that with the Z and realized it wasn't for me, however with the Q10 I have learned to live without several of the features I used on a regular basis for the time being, in hopes that they'll one day come back :-) For the things I do get with the Q that I didn't have with previous BBs (the 9900 was my last previous one to my Q), it's well worth it for the most part (a few examples: performance of the device alone is insanely good, haven't gotten close to reaching the limit on number of apps to install, no need to look for the right OS that doesn't have a memory leak).

I keep reading people not needing to do batt pulls, however if you're running on one of the leaks, while you might not have to physically pull the batt, rebooting will be required every now and then. Boot times are way faster though, and initiating the actual reboot is even quicker than the old "ALT + right shift + backspace" sequence ;-)
    09-22-13 01:05 AM