just got a Z30..
    i dont get the symbols when not on WIFI, and BBm does not work, BUT when on WIFI - symbol is back by the reception bars, and BBM is good to go.

Why is that? what does this mean? and how do i fix it?

can you guys help? i thought BB10 doesn't need BIS..

p.s - Full reception with the letter H
    Last edited by viper-85; 09-30-14 at 03:20 PM. Reason: EDIT: extra info
    09-30-14 03:13 PM
    That symbol means your device has established a connection to the NOC at BlackBerry.. it's required for BBM to function. On a Z30 you should see it all the time, no matter how you are connected.. if you are only getting it on wifi then there's a problem with your mobile data connection... you could try basic things like turning it off and on, restarting the phone etc but in all likelyhood you'll need to call your carrier.
    09-30-14 03:20 PM
    What it means is that you're registered for BlackBerry services, which is a GOOD thing. Go to Settings-About-Network. Tap the three horizontal buttons in the bottom right corner, then tap 'register BlackBerry.' Also, go to your BBM settings and make sure those settings are set up correctly. I assume you have a data plan with your Z30, correct? If not, that COULD be why you have issues when Wi-Fi is off. In the mean time, these steps will fix the inconsistencies.
    09-30-14 03:24 PM
    Hey guys,
    Ok so the phone is not the problem...
    But the registry does not seem to work.. what should i tell my carrier?
    yesterday i switched over to them just to hear they don't support BB, so i explained no BIS is needed - i have a BB10 phone.
    Was i wrong?
    09-30-14 03:49 PM
    My Torch 9800 on BBOS 6 needed BIS for data and BBM and Maps etc ,but BB 10 does not, it should still show the BB logo near your network signal though to show your connected to Blackberry,What is your carrier maybe some one on this forum might be on same carrier and maybe able help you
    09-30-14 04:09 PM
    I hate to burst everyone's bubble but whether or not BB10 devices need BlackBerry activation is entirely up to the carrier. The phone will work with or without, but it has to have the right configuration. Ask your carrier what APN they use and make sure your phone is set up correctly.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:16 PM
    well, they said they don't support Blackberries but it's a BB10 so.. what's there to support?
    APN is good though.. any other suggestions?

I'm not even sure what to tell them...
    09-30-14 04:38 PM
    If you can get access to a SIM card with data from another carrier, either pay as you go or ask an agent to let you try their services to ensure your BlackBerry will work that will tell you something. Trying your SIM in a friend's iPhone or Android would tell you more. Make sure the phones are unlocked if you are using a SIM from other than their home carrier.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:25 PM
    Are you able to accomplish other data related activities while on the carrier network? Browsing the web for example?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:58 PM
    hey guys,

Yes - i can send and receive calls and text messages, and i can browse the web AND use whatsapp!
    So it was weird that BBM did not work.

So i called my carrier.. it wasn't pretty: " we don't support blackberries. at all"
    I tried for almost 30 minutes before i gave up - trying to explain how Z30 doesn't need BIS, or that it is not "my phone's problem" rather the network.. after all - it works on WIFI.
    I tried everything. to them - BBRY is dead - if it not andriod or apple - they will not listen.

What's worse is that my sister is on the same carrier(!!!!) with android phone BUT rocking BBM on her phone with 0 problems!!!! how amazing is that?!?!

such a waste.. i was trying to convert a friend to BBM (iphone) when i found out I could not make mine work. on a blackberry device.
    I have no idea what BBRY did different on their phones, but it's not good for anyone
    10-01-14 05:10 PM