Ok so when I hear the word BlackBerry I automatically think secure but I have no clue about it. What I'm interested to know is when I click that encrypt my device and it does how does that protect me and who am I protected from? I'm just curious to know how it all works but in ***** terms. Obviously if someone picked my phone up without a password even if it was encrypted they still can see everything..

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:02 PM
    The best answer to your question is right on your device.
    Click the "search" icon and type " Encryption!"

07-29-14 01:04 PM
    If your device files or media files somehow ever ended up on another device, the file could not be opened or read. The key is on your device, and its required whenever the file is opened. When correctly implemented the two way hand shake is seamless. Encryption is an added way of securing your device and media files.
    anon(3732391) and CMcRob like this.
    07-29-14 01:19 PM
    I'm also interested in this. Internet security has become a growing concern of mine.

I'm curious about this whole encryption thing. However, I'd like to know how it works when I want to move files from my phone to my computer (including via RemoteAccess and BlackBerry Link), as well as how the encryption process interacts with and affects the SD card.

Anyone willing to give a thorough breakdown of this stuff for the OP and I?
    07-30-14 06:56 PM
    Encryption comes in two flavors, local to the device, and communications.

Local encryption applies to device memory and the SDCard. Encryption is not a factor for any access that uses the device to access the memory: Remote File Access, Link, CIFS over WiFi, applications running on the device with permission to access files. Encrypted device memory protects you in case some technically savvy person or agency tries to read your data by removing the memory from the device and read it out in another device. This is quite difficult so judge the risk appropriately. Encryption on the SDCard provides the same service, but since it is much easier to move the SDCard to a different device this is may be more important to more people. It is a double edged sword however, if you move the SDCard to another device you won't be able to read it. If you wipe your BlackBerry before decrypting the card you won't be able to read your data. Various applications can also encrypt data before writing it to memory. Password Keeper for example.

Communications encryption is arguably more important. Most people encouter this as HTTPS. At this point it may be worth taking a detour through BES and BIS and how BB10 is different

BES data is encrypted from the handset to the BES server. Very very good encryptiion is available. It is very unlikely that anyone in between could decrypt these communications. BIS, regardless of what you may have heard, was never encrypted. PIN to PIN messages are by default encrypted by a fixed and well known triple DES key. BES administrators can add other keys for intra-organization PIN to PIN messaging up to AES 256. BBM traffic on BBOS is carried over PIN to PIN on BES, so the encryption is essentially useless. Outside of BIS/BES (BB10, Apple, Android, WP) BBM traffic is carried on an SSL/TLS connection, so the same as an HTTPS session. But this only applies between the device and the BBM server. So BlackBerry and any leagally authorized entity in the country where the serveer is can get that BBM traffic.

The encryption software BlackBerry uses was developed by Certicom (before BlackBerry bought them). Certicom was one of the leading developers of secure cryptography at the time and holds a very large patent protfolio.
    Thachoc1, niss63, jope28 and 5 others like this.
    07-30-14 07:38 PM
    @Richard

That's an awesome response.

Now, by the sounds of it, I'm less interested in encryption on the device, and more interested in communications encryption. However, I'm no enterprise: is it feasible to get into BES as a single, private user? Is there a point?

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    07-30-14 07:45 PM

Local encryption applies to device memory and the SDCard. Encryption is not a factor for any access that uses the device to access the memory: Remote File Access, Link, CIFS over WiFi, applications running on the device with permission to access files. Encrypted device memory protects you in case some technically savvy person or agency tries to read your data by removing the memory from the device and read it out in another device. This is quite difficult so judge the risk appropriately. Encryption on the SDCard provides the same service, but since it is much easier to move the SDCard to a different device this is may be more important to more people. It is a double edged sword however, if you move the SDCard to another device you won't be able to read it. If you wipe your BlackBerry before decrypting the card you won't be able to read your data. Various applications can also encrypt data before writing it to memory. Password Keeper for example.

Communications encryption is arguably more important. Most people encouter this as HTTPS. At this point it may be worth taking a detour through BES and BIS and how BB10 is different

BES data is encrypted from the handset to the BES server. Very very good encryptiion is available. It is very unlikely that anyone in between could decrypt these communications. BIS, regardless of what you may have heard, was never encrypted. PIN to PIN messages are by default encrypted by a fixed and well known triple DES key. BES administrators can add other keys for intra-organization PIN to PIN messaging up to AES 256. BBM traffic on BBOS is carried over PIN to PIN on BES, so the encryption is essentially useless. Outside of BIS/BES (BB10, Apple, Android, WP) BBM traffic is carried on an SSL/TLS connection, so the same as an HTTPS session. But this only applies between the device and the BBM server. So BlackBerry and any leagally authorized entity in the country where the serveer is can get that BBM traffic.

The encryption software BlackBerry uses was developed by Certicom (before BlackBerry bought them). Certicom was one of the leading developers of secure cryptography at the time and holds a very large patent protfolio.
    Well said good Sir!
    07-30-14 09:17 PM
    @Richard

That's an awesome response.

Now, by the sounds of it, I'm less interested in encryption on the device, and more interested in communications encryption. However, I'm no enterprise: is it feasible to get into BES as a single, private user? Is there a point?

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    Thanks.

In general I'd say no. If you have a reason to need the features of BES you would probably have already set it up. On the other hand you can sign up for the remainder of a year of free BES Cloud services. The main bend are encrypted access to email, calendar, tasks and data. The following suggestions combined with remote file access gives you that.

Things that you should look for is that all your email accounts support SSL / TLS communication with the client, and preferably between services but that is still pretty rare.

Try to only use other services that only support ubiquitous encryption. You may want to think about using a VPN service if you use open Wi-Fi and unencrypted services together.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 09:46 PM

Respectfully Mr. Buckley,

Your knowledge is impeccable; clearly a savant and one who deserves more credit than has been obliged. Basically.... I own an exclusive corporate licensing and legal consulting firm for several international manufacturers, which will respectfully have to remain private. I've hired multiple IT's and computer communication engineers(From NYU/still haven't achieved what we need) to create/code/encrypt a safe, protected way for my head associates/board members and myself to converse without the possibility of interruption or potential leakage of our companies research and information. Wether it be created via encrypted app, email, call activated. We all own blackberry passports(black&silver edition) with the hope that it was going to be a slightly easy task to safely protect our content via phone-email-text. But with today's technology this is becoming harder to achieve. Not to mention your extensive knowledge has left me and my associates in a confused daze. I realize this forum post is quite old, hope you're still around. Would prefer to speak through a private DM if possible on this website. If not and you're interested in helping us become a more safe and protected Corp... An email will be created for your help.... As long as we can encrypt it😩.

Respectfully,
    Savant Foresta
    Pres
    05-01-16 01:10 PM
    So how do i encrypt my device?

BlackBerry Z10/STL-001/Bb10.3.2.2836
    05-01-16 10:11 PM