When an android app wants to have permission to access shared files, BB system states it can also includes your cloud storage, etc.. but non of those are shared, and should not be shared with any other apps unless specifically allowed, but it seems to me that the term "shared" is used unnecessarily or to give the misconception that app won't access your files if you did not share them, because it seems like they will have access to any and all files that are on the device, as well as any cloud services you set up.

Has there been any tests done on this to see exactly what they can access. I know with BES, they are not supposed to access any files but there was a huge security issue couple of months ago which was eventually fixed, but without BES it seems this is wide open.
    11-22-14 10:44 PM
    99% of the time it's so it can cache things (data, images etc.) on your device but of course, most people think it's something nefarious and then they wonder why their apps aren't working. (Hint: It's because they denied permissions w/o any regard for what they were ACTUALLY used for.) Honestly, the definitions are freaking useless and unnecc. scary.
    11-22-14 10:59 PM
    99% of the time it's so it can cache things on your device but of course, most people think it's something nefarious and then they wonder why their apps aren't working. (Hint: It's because they denied permissions w/o any regard for what they were ACTUALLY used for.)
    Sadly, not an option to disable when running/installing android apps due to Android runtime's All or Nothing permissions, of course nothing meaning it won't be installed.

If it needs to cache things, then it would be more appropriate to use "access to device memory or storage" not "access to shared files". When I see shared files, I assume it is something like adding a picture from my pictures, playing a video or mp3 track if the app is a player app, or if it's a device explorer, then I can understand. I am not really paranoid about it, since I only use the apps that I know to be reliable & trusted developers, however sometimes I notice something that has no reason to access files is asking for the permission. This is why I would love to play around with android app development. Do you have any suggestions? A simple two-line coded app might be able to tell us what an app can do or cannot do when this permission is allowed.

Thanks again for contributing!
    11-22-14 11:03 PM
    Sadly, not an option to disable when running/installing android apps due to Android runtime's All or Nothing permissions, of course nothing meaning it won't be installed.
    Yes it is. If you know how. App OPS can easily be installed and operated, thus allowing you to control the Android permissions on BB10.

If it needs to cache things, then it would be more appropriate to use "access to device memory or storage" not "access to shared files". When I see shared files, I assume it is something like adding a picture from my pictures, playing a video or mp3 track if the app is a player app, or if it's a device explorer, then I can understand. I am not really paranoid about it, since I only use the apps that I know to be reliable & trusted developers, however sometimes I notice something that has no reason to access files is asking for the permission. This is why I would love to play around with android app development. Do you have any suggestions? A simple two-line coded app might be able to tell us what an app can do or cannot do when this permission is allowed.
    Like I said, the definitions suck. Search here, Google around, search Android forums - almost everyone is confused about the permissions definitions these days because...

1) They're not really clear.
    2) A lot of people don't bother to even read, let alone try to understand things these days.

FTR, I agree with you. I think it should be outlined better but it's not and that's what access to shared files means for the MAJORITY of apps requesting it.
    11-22-14 11:12 PM
    Yes it is. If you know how. App OPS can easily be installed and operated, thus allowing you to control the Android permissions on BB10.

Like I said, the definitions suck. Search here, Google around, search Android forums - almost everyone is confused about the permissions definitions these days because...

1) They're not really clear.
    2) A lot of people don't bother to even read, let alone try to understand things these days.

FTR, I agree with you. I think it should be outlined better but it's not and that's what access to shared files means for the MAJORITY of apps requesting it.

I had no idea App Ops was available for Blackberry. I figured, with lack of google services, it wouldn't run. Is 10.3 required for that? I would love to give that a try, I know there has been a lot of developments on "firewall" side of things in Android, my cousin's Note 3 works just like a computer, asking him for permission case by case even for background apps, but I didn't know at least App Ops could be used on BB.

Also my other problem is slow permissions, when certain android apps run fine, suddenly they struggle, I assume this could be do permission problems or some kind of "disagreement" between Android and BB10 OS.
    11-23-14 12:56 AM
    I've tried running app ops on a 10.3.1.1151 leak but it doesn't allow you to control all the app permissions for each app as there were some apps that had requested location but in in app ops it didn't show them as requesting it so I couldn't deny the un-needed location permission. It also wasn't nearly as user friendly as blackberrys way of controlling permissions.
    11-23-14 05:29 AM