randall2580,

I suppose my biggest concern (Amazon manufactured BB10 powered smart phones) would be Amazon selling price under cutting RIM manufactured BB10 powered smart phones. Can/does the Amazon ecosystem balance that out or could that be a potential neg net for RIM.

There are those who speculate Lab126 does not have the depth of knowledge to pull it off alone, hence a JV with RIM, or another for all we know, would be a logical route. Again "air bag activated phones" tosses a monkey wrench into logic,lol.
    12-29-12 10:04 AM
    Yes, if you look at the Fire line, they use Android, but make it look nothing like Android and strip out as much Google as they can. They have a separate app market. If they licensed BB10, and BB sets them up their own Fire App World space, then devs could make an app for regular BB10 device, and also for the larger Fire market too. Would also help guarantee Amazon content for BB10 devices. I think it would be a win/win for both companies. Only issue would be for Amazon having to support the old Android based line and a BB10 based line too for some period of time.
    While I don't think it'll ever happen, this does make an interesting mental exercise. PBOS already has an Android App Player, and the Amazon App Store caters to 7" Devices, so the work would be in making sure the Android App Player works with all the APIs that the Amazon App Store makes use of, and reaching out to devs to tweak any remaining software that doesn't work. Support would then be seamless. That said, there's no way in which this is remotely a good idea for Amazon - they'd just be bolstering their competition.
    12-29-12 10:05 AM
    Recool,

Amazon is not exiting the tablet just yet, in fact they are "ramping up" for something yet undefined. http://www.glassdoor.com/Interview/L...ns-E267709.htm
    Last edited by TomJasper; 12-29-12 at 10:38 AM.
    RECOOL likes this.
    12-29-12 10:23 AM
    randall2580,

I suppose my biggest concern (Amazon manufactured BB10 powered smart phones) would be Amazon selling price under cutting RIM manufactured BB10 powered smart phones. Can/does the Amazon ecosystem balance that out or could that be a potential neg net for RIM.

There are those who speculate Lab126 does not have the depth of knowledge to pull it off alone, hence a JV with RIM, or another for all we know, would be a logical route. Again "air bag activated phones" tosses a monkey wrench into logic,lol.
    Then don't let them have the phones. Amazon sell their devices at cost to get you into their system, some say a small loss.

This brings anyone who has a BB phone sold by RIM - marketed by RIM - in a market Amazon supports (they are not worldwide), into their system buying stuff, videos, prime memberships, music, magazines, all the profitable side of their business, without any build out by them. Amazon already does a big part of this with iOS, without any support from Apple (which they would never get). Why not just work with RIM and say RIM has EVERYTHING we (amazon) have in a one stop place. Amazon certified BB10 smartphone, designed and sold by RIM. win/win no?
    gokulesh likes this.
    12-29-12 10:26 AM
    randall2580,

Agree Amazon just wants the eyeballs,hence Fire etc. selling at or below cost. They have made overtures about getting into the smart phone market, I would presume for more eyeballs, it's those darn margins though, I would think that would preclude any JV as not a ++. So as you say offering the BB10 platform link (eye balls) might be a prudent move to stem off Amazon smart phone aspirations? Trying to wrap my head around a Amazon BB10 powered smart phone (as per Forbes article suggestion) I just can't see the ++(net bottom line or otherwise), something I'm missing here??
    12-29-12 10:55 AM
    Both companies need what the other has to sell their product. RIM sells phones: needs content > Amazon sells content: needs devices am I wrong?
    randall2580 and gokulesh like this.
    12-29-12 12:32 PM
    Both companies need what the other has to sell their product. RIM sells phones: needs content > Amazon sells content: needs devices am I wrong?
    True, but hopefully this happens due to bb10 having all the various amazon apps for their content because rim cannot afford to license the os to somebody that doesn't look to make money on the hardware.
    12-29-12 02:36 PM
    Amazon licensing BB10 would only be a positive thing for the USA, outside of that country, it wouldn't stand a chance anywhere else since their most advertised services aren't available in many countries outside of the USA...

I don't want to see it happening...
    Last edited by Plazmic Flame; 12-30-12 at 12:00 AM.
    12-29-12 11:46 PM
    Recool,

Amazon is not exiting the tablet just yet, in fact they are "ramping up" for something yet undefined. Lab126 Interview Questions | Glassdoor
    Hmm than there's no need for amazon.I dont see what they could offer us anyway.We can use amazon through our browsers shop as we want when we want without 1 click pressure and being in the store the whole time which kindle fires force you to do.Tablets and phones are a loosing game for them imo.Like I said google do not go hard in selling nexus they go by demand and supply so its no dead stock cut prices and losses being made.

I just dont see what amazon would offer us.Sounds cool to have amazon on board but theeir actual service you can do that through your browser.This aint gonna happen clearly they are going to keep doing kindles good luck to them but they should really work on a store front thats installed in devices.
    12-30-12 08:46 AM
    Because Samsung, HTC and other Android OEMs pay Apple and Microsoft for licensing technology used in that "free" Android OS! RIM pays for the licensing in the technologies it uses, and could roll it into the licensing costs to the OEM, Google does not, and people are going after the Android OEMs instead of tackling Google directly. In a licensing agreement between RIM and another party, RIM should be liable for any Intellectual Property concerns with the OS, therefore less risk to the OEM then Android. Apple and Microsoft could both go after Amazon for the Kindle for per device licensing like they have with other Android OEMs, and Kindle is already at razor thin margins. Licensing an OS would be risk mitigation to avoid legal fees and licensing for a "free" OS.
    Interesting. Yes I had overlooked that. Good point.
    12-30-12 09:20 AM
    One interesting possibility is IF... if Netflix does not come to BB10, Amazon could support Amazon Instant on BB10. That would be something RIM would be mighty interested in.
    12-30-12 09:22 AM
    RIM licensing BB10 has been an ongoing rumor for quite some time now, originally the speculation was that RIM and Samsung were going to work out a deal (Of course there's been a lot of speculation about RIM and Samsung getting together in more ways than one for some time now.) and I guess the speculation has moved over to Amazon. I'm guessing that the fact that the first generation Kindle Fire is very similar in looks (but not performance) to the PlayBook has fueled some of this speculation.

Licensing out BB10 could be a good thing or a bad thing, especially since Android is so well-entrenched with other smartphone manufacturers and even spreading into other devices (digital cameras, satellite radio receivers, etc.). One downside with Android is that the market is flooded with a lot of low-cost, low-quality Android-powered devices that dilute the entire Android OS (When you can buy a tablet from a no-name brand running an older version of Android for $49 at a drug store, that's not entirely a good thing.) as it potential gives users a negative impression of the OS. What if RIM licensed BB10 to a company and their device makes some of RIM's biggest BlackBerry flops look like successes?

BB10 is definitely the make or break point for RIM and they need to do what they can to make it successful and make inroads to reclaim lost marketshare. Licensing it out to other manufacturers would come across as a last gasp sort of thing, especially if BB10 flops (Even those of us that are bullish on BB10 have to keep that thought in the back of their minds.).
    12-30-12 10:04 AM
    There's another point in this discussion that Americans likely don't see: Amazon doesn't offer any non-book digital content outside the US. Getting Amazon on board does RIM almost zero good outside the US.
    12-31-12 12:57 PM
    There's another point in this discussion that Americans likely don't see: Amazon doesn't offer any non-book digital content outside the US. Getting Amazon on board does RIM almost zero good outside the US.
    Well, RIM can sure use all the help they can get in the states. . .
    randall2580 and jakie55 like this.
    12-31-12 01:04 PM
    I would not want amazon making blackberry phones, but qnx based kindle fire tablets could be a good thing. It would need to be a joint effort with the two companies so they were cooperating and not competing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-31-12 02:21 PM
    Here in the UK, we have Lovefilm.com which is owned by Amazon.
    12-31-12 04:58 PM
    Like has been said I see many benefits for RIM but I just don't see that many for amazon. Initially I think most benefits for amazon can be achieved by releasing apps for bb10 and see what happens. If later on after bb10 has had time on the market and doing well amazon were to see the benefits shift more to their favor I would agree that it would be a good idea.
    01-01-13 10:37 AM
    I fail to see how RIM does not need help in any way and how accessing content through a Web browser in a tablet environment seems like a good idea.

With regards to apps vs browser; Google realized long ago that mobility is better enjoyed through apps. That's why there's a Google Maps app and not a url link. The same applies with just about any other activity online. Amazon has the Web browser. I wonder how much traffic goes through their web-based app vs the Kindle app vs the hardware Kindle. I'm willing to bet the latter get the most use and the web-based reader doesn't reach1% participation.

With regards to content vs hardware; I believe a relationship between Amazon and RIM could benefit both sides, but RIM would be the most benefited. Amazon moves quite a bit of content, regardless of the hardware it's rendered on. RIMs last shot at relevancy will not be determined by hardware specs or OS Performance. Content available on the platform has always been the issue: call it apps, media, cloud-based services.

Android vs BB10 vs upcoming OS; people like Android, either because it's great, good enough or cheap enough to distribute. Even with Android, an OS mature enough to get the job done and then some, has made Samsung, the top Android-based manufacturer, looking into and developing an alternate OS (bada). Android is at the top of its game, but everyone knows this is a cyclical business. New OSs will show up and Android, like iOS will eventually fade out.

Manufacturers don't commit to an OS because it's pretty; they look for bottom line. If RIM can guarantee no patent related disputes, security and accesible development for content, it will have a shot at carving out a piece of the market, mostly through licensing.

Amazon could benefit greatly from using BB10; RIM is desperate enough to concede to many demands as long as it keeps them relevant long enough to claw back into the market and gain leverage.

Beyond an experienced manufacturer at their disposal, Amazon could easily afford to ignore RIM as they have done so far.
    01-01-13 03:51 PM
43 12