You have to wonder how that type of deal would work. Would it be a good thing for RIM? Your thoughts?
    12-27-12 09:03 AM
    Yes - extra revenue stream that doesn't exist today.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-27-12 09:10 AM
    Yes, if you look at the Fire line, they use Android, but make it look nothing like Android and strip out as much Google as they can. They have a separate app market. If they licensed BB10, and BB sets them up their own Fire App World space, then devs could make an app for regular BB10 device, and also for the larger Fire market too. Would also help guarantee Amazon content for BB10 devices. I think it would be a win/win for both companies. Only issue would be for Amazon having to support the old Android based line and a BB10 based line too for some period of time.
    TomJasper, schmeat and gokulesh like this.
    12-27-12 09:19 AM
    The "content" aspect sounds like winner. My only concern would be Amazon selling BB10 powered phones at cost, I wonder how that would/could work without affecting Blackberry BB10 smart phone margins? What would be a logical work aroung/agreement?
    Yes, if you look at the Fire line, they use Android, but make it look nothing like Android and strip out as much Google as they can. They have a separate app market. If they licensed BB10, and BB sets them up their own Fire App World space, then devs could make an app for regular BB10 device, and also for the larger Fire market too. Would also help guarantee Amazon content for BB10 devices. I think it would be a win/win for both companies. Only issue would be for Amazon having to support the old Android based line and a BB10 based line too for some period of time.
    12-27-12 09:27 AM
    No - there is not need for this... it should be that last resource... for many reasons.
    12-27-12 09:32 AM
    Why would amazon pay for BB10 when they form android for free?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    12-27-12 10:44 AM
    It was put out there today on Forbes, it's not speculation on my part,yet it would be interesting to see if there are pros/cons to such a situation. Yes droid sells lots but it's not secure and is buggy.

12-27-12 12:15 PM
    Android post ICS hasn't been that buggy at all

The type of security that blackberry is known for really isn't important for a consumer facing product like the iPad or the fire series of products.

12-27-12 12:20 PM
    I think that Amazon and Google are heading towards a collision course, especially with Google's recent push for content services through the Google Play Store. I am sure that Amazon and RIM can come up with an agreement regarding BB10/Amazon content.
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-27-12 12:28 PM
    NFC and Blackberry SEM come to mind straight away that would easily fit a consumer footprint.
    Android post ICS hasn't been that buggy at all

The type of security that blackberry is known for really isn't important for a consumer facing product like the iPad or the fire series of products.

12-27-12 12:42 PM

Because Samsung, HTC and other Android OEMs pay Apple and Microsoft for licensing technology used in that "free" Android OS! RIM pays for the licensing in the technologies it uses, and could roll it into the licensing costs to the OEM, Google does not, and people are going after the Android OEMs instead of tackling Google directly. In a licensing agreement between RIM and another party, RIM should be liable for any Intellectual Property concerns with the OS, therefore less risk to the OEM then Android. Apple and Microsoft could both go after Amazon for the Kindle for per device licensing like they have with other Android OEMs, and Kindle is already at razor thin margins. Licensing an OS would be risk mitigation to avoid legal fees and licensing for a "free" OS.
    12-27-12 12:49 PM
    I find the subtle shift in media preception of BB10 very interesting. Asking if Amazon would license BB10 implies that Rim is( Will) be a major player in the mobile market. Not so much bash ad trash from the media. Forbes is pretty mainstream
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-27-12 01:05 PM

As has been mentioned, Microsoft collects royalties even on "open source" Android. As well, Android is hitting a wall called "fragmentation". Too many versions, too many proprietary skins, VERY little incentive for small developers to use the latest platform (due to VERY small uptake rates so far).

RIM has an almost "greenfield" platform that they'd likely let licensees rebrand, but not reskin, so they can maintain control of upgrades and compatibility.
    TomJasper and Cappyshirt like this.
    12-27-12 01:19 PM
    Tom - back when the PlayBook was about to come out there was a similar discussion about how perfect a marriage of Amazon and PlayBook would have been (turns out shortly thereafter they came out with the first Fire - effectively a diminiished PlayBook - I guess they agreed, to a point).

Nothing has changed. A marriage of Amazon and BB would be made in heaven and be a definite plus for BB/RIM. I am hoping that this could be true, and trying to ignore that after the discussion regarding the PlayBook, they never made an offical Kindle app even for the PlayBook, and has shown little to any love for things BlackBerry.

++

And yes - Android is severely suffering from this so called fragmentation - becoming the worlds most popular smartphone OS. One wonders where they would be without this horrible fragmentation problem? While I read a lot concerning this matter, there is little anecdotal evidence in the wild of it having any affect on the platform.
    Cappyshirt likes this.
    12-27-12 02:47 PM
    No - there is not need for this... it should be that last resource... for many reasons.
    in case u haven't noticed most of the lifeboats have already left the ship... ANYTHING that RIM could do now to keep the business going, needs to be looked at.

But I don't see his as being good for either really.
    12-27-12 02:51 PM
    Well stranger things have happened ie. Jeff Bezos cell phone air bag patent, in that light never say never.

Why would you consider it a marriage made in heaven?
    Tom - back when the PlayBook was about to come out there was a similar discussion about how perfect a marriage of Amazon and PlayBook would have been (turns out shortly thereafter they came out with the first Fire - effectively a diminiished PlayBook - I guess they agreed, to a point).

Nothing has changed. A marriage of Amazon and BB would be made in heaven and be a definite plus for BB/RIM. I am hoping that this could be true, and trying to ignore that after the discussion regarding the PlayBook, they never made an offical Kindle app even for the PlayBook, and has shown little to any love for things BlackBerry.

++

And yes - Android is severely suffering from this so called fragmentation - becoming the worlds most popular smartphone OS. One wonders where they would be without this horrible fragmentation problem? While I read a lot concerning this matter, there is little anecdotal evidence in the wild of it having any affect on the platform.
    12-27-12 05:48 PM
    Amazon has what BB needs to compete with iOS and Android media wise. One stop shopping video, music, books, magazines and aggressive pricing. Prime Video at least as good as Netflix, it's cheaper, and you get free 2 day shipping on anything you buy from Amazon with your Prime membership, which I used quite a bit of over the holidays. Cloud storage for media and data, again state of the art. All in one place. Not 7digital for music and video, kobo for books, dropbox for cloud storage. Amazon one stop shopping. In exchange Amazon get "people who do" who I bet at least in the states all have an active Amazon account. When PlayBook came out that seemed to scream to me to be a great marriage. Shame they couldn't make it to the alter, but hey, there's a warm wind blowin' and I'd really love to see you tonight...
    Dapper37 likes this.
    12-27-12 09:33 PM
    All I know is kindle fire's are made the same place as PB obviously PB far more premium quality look.The only way this will work is if amazon exit the tablet game I read these guys are selling tablets at a loss but the main draw is amazon services where they make the money.If amazon exit the tablet game and become a store inside the BB10 could help them. But it will conflict with blackberry world additionally RIM has'nt got the lockdown on getting all android apps to work near at least 80% fluid.

RIM do not have to join forces.We can go shop anytime we want through our browsers no pressure unlike kindle where your always in the shop with 1 click purchase.RIM would make some nice money from a license.This is more about amazon saving itself and not loosing out to google as an internet store.Google bought a delivery service they have insane data on companys,shopping,store checkouts,trends etc they can start selling products if they wanted to they have things in place to sell more than what they have now.They could start selling items through google play store with all these cyborg phones and tablets it has huge percentage of potential shoppers they already buy apps why not fresh pair of nike airs,shoes,dresses and start linking stores into the play store and get more advertising money.

This eco war and the like is Its a big game of connect 4 or chess.How many kindles are out there?? Surely not more than PB's,orange and cyborg tablets .Getting a store front on well selling devices is the way to go far less costly than tablets sold at a loss.These kindle tablets have just been a way to push amazon to the masses its worked but at a cost.Google have known about not getting into the device battle.Since their os is free and with all the Oems jumping on phone/tablet wave they would obviously not produce as many as oems all they did was make sure their store was in every device and start their long term store plans.

Amazon will probably stop selling tablets its costing them money setting up a store front on devices a far cheaper option.They are probably considering trying to get their store on devices just to counter google play stores potential threat.Google play dont offer full retail shopping yet to my knowledge.I could easily see amazon paying license fees on devices.And with RIM comes that corporate clientele,that corporate money amazon probably see massive gains here think about it say a company needs 300 tables for a new building the company uses BB devices they go straight into amazon store find equipment buy ,send it ��$$�$� for amazon.In a qnx car coporate big shot needs to buy an item does'nt have time or want to do silly multiple google searches takes out PB see's amazon store front knows its reliable service that has near enough everything so he orders.A store front can do alot.

If RIM makes money of it and it does'nt damage blackberry app world sales im cool with it. Amazon are exiting the tablet game imo they gonna need support of MS,RIM and the like if they dont want google trumping them.
    Cappyshirt likes this.
    12-28-12 08:27 PM
    While I can see Amazon being a powerful content engine for RIM (RIM's Blackberry World could simply be used to sell Amazon's content) but I don't see what RIM would have to offer Amazon? Maybe they'll help them stop playing the tiny margins on hardware game but RIM would have to help themselves in that area first. . .and when it comes to IP concerns, someone would have to come after Android (Google) in full force before Amazon would start feeling the heat and that isn't happening yet. . . RIM would love a deal with Amazon but Amazon isn't really interested . . .just yet. . .
    Hobbes2099 likes this.
    12-28-12 08:44 PM
    Rim would benefit greatly from having access to Amazon's content on bb10, but they would not want an amazon bb10 phone released as that would kill their margins if priced in Amazon's usual manner. Similarly, Amazon would benefit from having their content on bb10 as it is just additional audience for them and hopefully we will see such apps, but as far as OS, they already have experience of reworking android into a position they like so why would they start over for a phone.
    12-29-12 04:32 AM
    You have to wonder how that type of deal would work. Would it be a good thing for RIM? Your thoughts?
    Why would they pay RIM for BB10 when they get a free OS from Google?
    12-29-12 07:50 AM
    randall2580,

I keep an eye on Lab126/HR + - to see which way the winds are blowing.
    randall2580 likes this.
    12-29-12 08:18 AM
    Nothing in life is "free" my friend.
    Why would they pay RIM for BB10 when they get a free OS from Google?
    12-29-12 08:19 AM
    Sceever,

That's my concern also ie. "margins" and if there is a work around to such a scenario.
    12-29-12 08:27 AM
    I don't think this has to be an all or none thing for Amazon. They (Amazon) don't have to give up the android based Fire OS and can keep releasing those devices, while allowing RIM to use their Ecosystem.
    RIM, who has said they would do this in the past, could build out native apps that utilize Amazon's strengths offering Amazon a whole new customer base, a whole new line of products that offer their services. RIM would price their devices where they will and benefit from offering their customers one stop shopping for everything including cloud computing.

I am waiting on my contract to expire before I get BB10 but if RIM came out with an offer like this -I would pay full price on day one. This would be a game changer for RIM who currently have different suppliers for Media/Books/Cloud that I am aware of - I guess we will know more when 1/30 comes along.
    12-29-12 09:46 AM
43 12