I learned that my apps that are developed at Android 4.2 SDK can still support Android 2.3 and even 2.2 devices at my own will, all happening at just one APK each app, so the paradigm should be that way, not by looking at it the other way around. No BS there.
    What you mentioned is just an essential functionality of how SDK should work, btw. New features are added each iteration, old ones are depracated, so support for old app versions by the devs is a given.

Posted via CB10
    What you state is not the case. From Android's own SDK site.

Application backward compatibility

Android applications are not necessarily backward compatible with versions of the Android platform older than the version against which they were compiled.
    I think you confuse versions with API levels.

<uses-sdk> | Android Developers

BB has it right.
    06-29-13 01:16 PM
    What you state is not the case. From Android's own SDK site.
    I think you confuse versions with API levels.
    | Android Developers
    BB has it right.
    Ugh, I hate it when someone hasn't used android.os.Build.VERSION.SDK_INT and ActionBarSherlock, and is just referencing official site documentations as their only source of info.

I really, really wish you have served your 20 years of experience very well, because it's not too late to be enlighted on using different native dev kits from different mobile platforms, and weigh the pros and cons from their respective app dev models that they have.

And Google was very careful with their words. I have the choice to make it backwards compatible (with use of additional libraries and such), hence we're seeing their use of the words "not necessarily".

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by peter_betos; 06-29-13 at 02:10 PM.
    06-29-13 01:42 PM
    Their BBLive app on the PlayBook was on Cascades and it was very laggy. I wonder if cascades would have actually worked. Just thought of this now and will from now just expect an updated browser and more optimized code in the next PlayBook update.
    Wasn't that made with WebWorks?
    06-29-13 01:52 PM
    Wasn't that made with WebWorks?
    The UI felt like Cascades. Actually, I just noticed that there was an update to that app and the app was much smoother later.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    Attachment 177291
    Last edited by ukmight; 06-29-13 at 02:25 PM.
    06-29-13 02:04 PM
    The UI felt like Cascades. Actually, I just noticed that there was an update to that app and the app was much smoother later.

Attachment 177291
    Probably bbui.js?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 02:26 PM
    Ugh, I hate it when someone hasn't used android.os.Build.VERSION.SDK_INT and ActionBarSherlock, and is just referencing official site documentations as their only source of info.

I really, really wish you have served your 20 years of experience very well, because it's not too late to be enlighted on using different native dev kits from different mobile platforms, and weigh the pros and cons from their respective app dev models that they have.

And Google was very careful with their words. I have the choice to make it backwards compatible (with use of additional libraries and such), hence we're seeing their use of the words "not necessarily".

Posted via CB10
    If you compile for a version of a SDK using an OS API for that version, you cannot go back and have it run on older OS versions that don't have the API. Blackberry development is in lines of all other SDKs including Androids. Don't fool yourself.

Those additional libs are at the app level, not the OS level. I have done the same thing with Windows applications. But your app cannot update the OS APIs. And if you can, then that shows why Android is a favorite for malware as it is the most insecure OS out there.
    06-29-13 06:30 PM
    Probably bbui.js?

Posted via CB10
    Very likely. I have written a couple of things for the Playbook that use the bbui.js. Makes them look like Cascades apps.
    06-29-13 06:31 PM
    So I guess you'd rather support BB10 on a Playbook that was laggy, buggy, and generally unresponsive and unsatisfying to end users?. Do the right thing....get over BB10 on the Playbook and CONTINUE to support Blackberry!.

Playbook owner since 2011.
    BB can't fool us! BB10 on playbook won't be laggy! Are they too stupid not to optimize? Give me one good reason why it won't run well on PB? I iPad and android can run great with 1 GB , in what way BB10 s better???? Stop being a fool! Sorry for being harsh I'm pissed off with this liar company.
    taz323 likes this.
    06-30-13 10:30 AM
    BB can't fool us! BB10 on playbook won't be laggy! Are they too stupid not to optimize? Give me one good reason why it won't run well on PB? I iPad and android can run great with 1 GB , in what way BB10 s better???? Stop being a fool! Sorry for being harsh I'm pissed off with this liar company.
    Ever wonder why the Dev Alpha B had improved specs than the Dev Alpha A? Lag. The Dev Alpha A was essentially PlayBook level.

Also, iOS and Android were originally built for devices much older than current offerings. They can run on 1 GB of RAM because they were originally made for devices with half or a quarter of that.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 11:19 AM
    Ever wonder why the Dev Alpha B had improved specs than the Dev Alpha A? Lag. The Dev Alpha A was essentially PlayBook level.

Also, iOS and Android were originally built for devices much older than current offerings. They can run on 1 GB of RAM because they were originally made for devices with half or a quarter of that.

Posted via CB10
    In that case, they didn't pack good hardware in the Z10 if you look at it to survive a few years of OS updates.
    If it needs more RAM than competition, then the flagship should pack more RAM than S4 or a HTC one because they have OS that can run on lower hardware.

I don't think any kind of argument helps BlackBerry. They faltered one way or the other. BlackBerry should understand and buck up.

It's time for action and NOT arguments.

06-30-13 11:37 AM
35 12