I am wondering if the announcement about the playbook will discourage developers from supporting bb10.

Why would a developer bother to develop for a small market where the shelf life is only two years.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 10:32 PM
    This was my exact thought too - there goes ANY hope for any more big names jumping on board - or even the smaller guys for that matter.
    06-28-13 10:40 PM
    I am wondering if the announcement about the playbook will discourage developers from supporting bb10.

Why would a developer bother to develop for a small market where the shelf life is only two years.

Posted via CB10
    Why would it? Clearly BB10 would not be working as well as anyone would like it to, so why kick a dead horse? The PlayBook is done at BlackBerry, but why should that affect BB10 phones, and developers from developing for BB10? Who knows, although Heins said that the tablet market is not a great one, we will most likely see something come out of BlackBerry in the foreseeable future that will be competitive.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    06-28-13 10:58 PM
    They could have at least brought Cascades over. I know Cascades works but it has to built into each app. Stupid. Also developers have actually promised Z10 owners that their app would be available on the PB after BB10 came to it. Disappointing.
    06-29-13 12:29 AM
    Why would it? Clearly BB10 would not be working as well as anyone would like it to, so why kick a dead horse? The PlayBook is done at BlackBerry, but why should that affect BB10 phones, and developers from developing for BB10? Who knows, although Heins said that the tablet market is not a great one, we will most likely see something come out of BlackBerry in the foreseeable future that will be competitive.
    I can think of a couple or reasons.
    The PB set the foundations for BlackBerry 10. Now any apps build for bb10 won't work on the pb.
    Fast forward two years when OSxyz is release their apps have to be revamp or rebuild to work on the new OS.
    They now have to support multiple BlackBerry OS.
    Customer will now have to buy the apps again in the new is and hardware which will lead to negative view of a greedy developer.
    Of course it's all assumptions base on history.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 01:46 AM
    When you stop supporting PB effectively, devs will think you may do the same with BB10. Coupled with small installation base, this will not help winning devs.

WP8 can probably claim eco no.3 now with legitimacy.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hkkelvinlee; 06-29-13 at 07:14 AM.
    taz323 likes this.
    06-29-13 05:55 AM
    As a developer, it did discourage me.

It implies the company is not investing on optimization, all the way to the kernel level (e.g. like Linaro does for Android e.g. , and eventually being applied as project butter on Android 4.1).

It also implies the company is not willing to have a sort of branding and architecture realignment applied across all their QNX devices.
    I mean, Google is finding ways to make their core apps backwards compatible to minimize absolute OS fragmentation, and their branding/rebranding strategy to reach as many Android devices as possible.
    Cascade's fragmentation, on the other hand, is just surreal. Native Cascades apps developed using 10.2 version of the OS will not be able to be installed on 10.1 devices (I used the method instructed on their Cascades dev kit, and the other method by exporting the BAR and installing the app using sachibar. Both didn't work and was showing incompatibilty failure).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by peter_betos; 06-29-13 at 07:21 AM.
    06-29-13 06:34 AM
    When you stop supporting PB effectively, devs will think you may do the same with BB10. Coupled with small installation base, this will jot help winning devs.

WP8 can probably claim eco no.3 now with legitimacy.

Posted via CB10
    agreed
    06-29-13 06:36 AM
    Fits in with what I was told by Optus Australia that BB stopped making Playbooks 6 months ago. Hoping to have a Playbook and Q10 both on the BB10 OS.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using CB Forums mobile app
    06-29-13 06:43 AM

It implies the company is not investing on optimization, all the way to the kernel level (e.g. like Linaro does for Android e.g. , and eventually being applied as project butter on Android 4.1).

It also implies the company is not willing to have a sort of branding and architecture realignment applied across all their QNX devices. I mean, Google is finding ways to make their core apps backwards compatible to minimize absolute OS fragmentation. Cascade's fragmentation, on the other hand, is just surreal. Native Cascades apps developed using 10.2 version of the OS will not be able to be installed on 10.1 devices (I used the method instructed on their Cascades dev kit, and the other method by exporting the BAR and installing the app using sachibar. Both didn't work and was showing incompatibilty failure).

Posted via CB10

Peter, keep in mind BlackBerry are developing a brand new platform. Things are in a massive state of flux and this impacts us as developers. Incompatibility of the API and development platforms are to be expected. BlackBerry could spend time and money trying to make things filly backward compatible but the harsh reality is those two things are not in plentiful supply at BB.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 07:10 AM
    Their BBLive app on the PlayBook was on Cascades and it was very laggy. I wonder if cascades would have actually worked. Just thought of this now and will from now just expect an updated browser and more optimized code in the next PlayBook update.

They could have at least brought Cascades over. I know Cascades works but it has to built into each app. Stupid. Also developers have actually promised Z10 owners that their app would be available on the PB after BB10 came to it. Disappointing.
    06-29-13 07:14 AM

It also implies the company is not willing to have a sort of branding and architecture realignment applied across all their QNX devices. I mean, Google is finding ways to make their core apps backwards compatible to minimize absolute OS fragmentation. Cascade's fragmentation, on the other hand, is just surreal. Native Cascades apps developed using 10.2 version of the OS will not be able to be installed on 10.1 devices (I used the method instructed on their Cascades dev kit, and the other method by exporting the BAR and installing the app using sachibar. Both didn't work and was showing incompatibilty failure).

Posted via CB10
    Android has to be backward compatible as the version that you get might be the only version you have on that device as Android OS updates are few and far between. All consumer BB10 devices will be getting 10.0 -> 10.1 -> 10.2 so as long as updates to the devices are coming, then it is alright to make the APIs dependant on the OS version.
    06-29-13 07:23 AM
    Peter, keep in mind BlackBerry are developing a brand new platform. Things are in a massive state of flux and this impacts us as developers. Incompatibility of the API and development platforms are to be expected. BlackBerry could spend time and money trying to make things filly backward compatible but the harsh reality is those two things are not in plentiful supply at BB.

Posted via CB10
    For a company to disgregard anticipations of backwards compatibilty for two or more long years is such an intriguing thought to me. Aren't TaT and QNX working hand-in-hand for each BlackBerry OS release?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 07:24 AM
    I'll develop for the Playbook, hold my beer.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    06-29-13 07:32 AM
    Android has to be backward compatible as the version that you get might be the only version you have on that device as Android OS updates are few and far between. All consumer BB10 devices will be getting 10.0 -> 10.1 -> 10.2 so as long as updates to the devices are coming, then it is alright to make the APIs dependant on the OS version.
    Now with the support for Playbook as a QNX device is dropped, the assurance of newer versions of Blackberry OS, i.e. even newer than 10.2, reaching all QNX mobile devices is uncertain, so they need to change their app development model / paradigm as soon as now.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 07:34 AM
    Pretty aggresive on here
    06-29-13 09:13 AM
    Now with the support for Playbook as a QNX device is dropped, the assurance of newer versions of Blackberry OS, i.e. even newer than 10.2, reaching all QNX mobile devices is uncertain, so they need to change their app development model / paradigm as soon as now.

Posted via CB10
    Playbook is still a QNX device. Always was. Even newer versions of iOS aren't backwards compatible to every device. As a developer of software for 20 years, this isn't new and actually common across the industry. You gotta stop spreading BS.
    06-29-13 09:58 AM
    I thought of releasing a native app but after the sad PB news I have decided not to support BB anymore. I will spread my words, I'm deeply hurt by BB's betrayal on loyal fans.
    taz323 likes this.
    06-29-13 10:07 AM
    Playbook is still a QNX device. Always was. Even newer versions of iOS aren't backwards compatible to every device. As a developer of software for 20 years, this isn't new and actually common across the industry. You gotta stop spreading BS.
    What Blackberry lacks on their dev kit though is choice. My single BAR of an app should be able to be deployed on the Blackberry QNX OS versions I want to support, not make multiple instances of it just to support different versions. So I'm not spreading BS, and I really see the need of adjustments on their paradigm.

Besides, it saddens me that the implementation of TabbedPane on Cascades framework doesn't allow color scheme customization to allow our clients' identity and branding, hence they gave us a "no" answer on supporting BB10 by default.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by peter_betos; 06-29-13 at 10:55 AM.
    06-29-13 10:37 AM
    I thought of releasing a native app but after the sad PB news I have decided not to support BB anymore. I will spread my words, I'm deeply hurt by BB's betrayal on loyal fans.
    So I guess you'd rather support BB10 on a Playbook that was laggy, buggy, and generally unresponsive and unsatisfying to end users?. Do the right thing....get over BB10 on the Playbook and CONTINUE to support Blackberry!.

Playbook owner since 2011.
    06-29-13 10:52 AM
    I don't think the PB news matters much. I work for a bigger name tech company and I don't think the PB has really been on anyone's radar, at least where I work, for the past few years.

BB10, on the other hand, isn't considered a large enough market by our product managers, and neither was Windows Phone 8, until Microsoft paid us to develop an app for that platform (otherwise we wouldn't have done it). I'm lobbying to bring our apps to BB10, but it's a tough sell.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 10:59 AM
    For a company to disgregard anticipations of backwards compatibilty for two or more long years is such an intriguing thought to me. Aren't TaT and QNX working hand-in-hand for each BlackBerry OS release?

Posted via CB10

I'm not Sure in what form does TaT exist as now. Their twitter account has been active since August 2012 and it's founders Hampus and Ludvig are no longer at TaT.
    I did recently read that Gary Klassen (Creator of BBM) joined TaT

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    Last edited by ukmight; 06-29-13 at 11:21 AM.
    06-29-13 10:59 AM
    What Blackberry lacks on their dev kit though is choice. My single BAR of an app should be able to be deployed on the Blackberry QNX OS versions I want to support, not make multiple instances of it just to support different versions. So I'm not spreading BS, and I really see the need of adjustments on their paradigm.
    No. You are spreading BS. All BB10 devices will soon be loaded with 10.2 so 10.0 to 10.2 apps will load. You need to learn how SDK versions work.

When creating and building your application, it is important to choose the correct version of the BlackBerry� Native� SDK to make sure that the application is compatible with the target BlackBerry operating system versions. Applications built in the BlackBerry Native SDK are forward-compatible with later BlackBerry� OS versions, but they are not backward-compatible with ealier versions.

For example, an application built using BlackBerry Native SDK 10.1 can run on BlackBerry devices running BlackBerry OS 10.1 and later will not run on a BlackBerry device running BlackBerry OS 10.0.9. Thus, when building applications, you should use a BlackBerry Native SDK version that matches the lowest version of BlackBerry OS you want to support.

It is also recommended to use gold versions of the BlackBerry Native SDK to build the final release version of your application. Applications built using beta versions of the BlackBerry Native SDK should not be uploaded to BlackBerry� World™.
    So pick a lower version that will target the most devices and go from there.

Besides, it saddens me that the implementation of TabbedPane on Cascades framework doesn't allow color scheme customization to allow our clients' identity and branding, hence they gave us a "no" answer on supporting BB10 by default.
    Posted via CB10
    You know. I hate designing for companies that don't understand how changes in look and function only confuses the customers that they are trying to target. There are UI guidelines for a reason. That being said, there is no reason why a little logo can't be added to the page(s) of the app. But messing with colours of the UI can get you into trouble.
    06-29-13 11:08 AM
    As a developer I am also a little disappointed about BB10 not coming to the PlayBook, it would have been a cut down version to reduce the memory footprint but it would still have been a capable device.

Even if BlackBerry are not going to follow through with BB10, I would like to see an updated tablet OS with the cascades libraries available for native development.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 11:08 AM
    No. You are spreading BS. All BB10 devices will soon be loaded with 10.2 so 10.0 to 10.2 apps will load. You need to learn how SDK versions work.
    I learned that my apps that are developed at Android 4.2 SDK can still support Android 2.3 and even 2.2 devices at my own will, all happening at just one APK each app, so the paradigm should be that way, not by looking at it the other way around. No BS there.
    What you mentioned is just an essential functionality of how SDK should work, btw. New features are added each iteration, old ones are depracated, so support for old app versions by the devs is a given.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by peter_betos; 06-29-13 at 11:37 AM.
    06-29-13 11:13 AM
35 12