What BB features would you like to see return to BB10
Now that we've had a chance to really get a hands-on with the new BlackBerry 10 OS, I want to hear what sort of features you want to see come back from the old BlackBerry OS to the new BB10. Features you just CANNOT live without and wished you could have them on your BB10 device out of box.
My list (in no particular order):
1. Calendar Alarms - I use my Calendar for EVERYTHING so this is key for me. Setting up appointments is one thing and having a reminder on it is another, but a separate alarm is what I relay on daily. I have probably 3-4 separate alarms on a daily basis: wake up, leave for work, go to the gym, take medication, etc. So this is probably my #1 thing I want to see come back.
2. "Files" Management - In the old BB OS I was able to edit a file more so than you can with BB10. I liked being able to hide files, hide folders and hide apps, for instance. Hiding apps I don't use very often but I may want to use one day, for instance Smart Tags or Print ToGo, helped me keep the clutter out of my phone. I use to make folders for apps that I never used like my e-mail accounts, text messages app or apps I wont use. Hiding files I don't want people to start sifting through important work documents but are still important for me to access on the go was important to me and once I got home, I could transfer it safely to my computer and unhide the file(s).
3. Hidden Files - Kind of hand & hand with the top comment. I tested out if I can hide a document on my Micro SD Card and unfortunately the phone locates it as if it were visible. For security reasons, I want to be able to hide and unhide files at my will or else I'll have to start finding a way to transport my files elsewhere. But being able to compose, download and store these sensitive files on my phone really was convenient
4. More Settings - Being able to view Device Settings and Advanced System Settings in particular. I understand some of the settings from Device is now separated elsewhere but some of the settings I just can't find. Also, Advanced System Settings - Being able to go into View/ Delete Service Book's, Browser Push settings, Default Services and the like. I want to be able to feel like I can have some advanced settings as a whole oppose to being locked out and using the basic settings like other phones. I may not be an expert at these things but I still tweeked it to how I use my phone.
I just got the phone so I haven't explored everything just yet. I might even find that what I have added is actually on the phone, I just haven't located it yet. I'll add more as I find it and delete some if they get found.
**Edtied Feb 14th 2013**
5. Instant E-mails - A few people have pointed this out and I don't understand HOW it works so don't bother explaining it, I just want it to work. E-mails come in slower because they aren't going through the same. What I LOVED about my BB was that I got everything instantly (hotmail, gmail, private email, etc) and I have a good 5 e-mail accounts linked to my Blackberry. Would be nice to have this function back ASAP because I don't like waiting 15 minutes for an important e-mail.
6. Customizable Notifications - Being able to designate what ring tone goes to what account, being able to adjust vibration settings, LED light colours, and the likes was very handy. If an e-mail came in, light was green and gave me a different notification for each. SMS was red, BBM was blue, and I can go on. I know it's been said so I'll leave it with I'd like to be able to customize my settings further like in the old OS.
7. Delete Options - I would like to be able to Delete Messages (e-mail, Facebook messages, etc) like how I was before: On Mailbox & Handheld or On Handheld. I loved being able to read my e-mails and decide to reply later from my PC where I could type a long message via a full sized keyboard. Not that I couldn't do it with the Blackberry qwerty keyboard, because we all know how amazing it is, but I just liked having the option. Also, I don't clutter my device up with old e-mails, tweets, FB messages so I delete them but I don't necessarily want to delete them permanently or not.
I'll continue to think of more as I go on but again, loving my BB Z10 device but would be in lesbians (Scott Pilgram reference) with it if I had some or all of these things back
Disclaimer: Please don't take this as me bashing Blackberry 10 OS or Blackberry at all. I understand it's a new OS and things were either neglected because they weren't as important as major features or just left on the cutting room floor to make room for new things. These are just things I would really like to see come back because I used them on a regular basis, and I would like for you all to share your same thoughts on the matter.
Last edited by svjones; 02-14-13 at 12:36 PM.Do unto others as you would have others do unto you
- CrackBerry Genius
02-05-13, 11:10 PM #2
- 1,577 Posts
1. I want "HUB" to be fixed (I agree with most constructive criticsm noted in CrackBerry's review of Z10).
2. I want an email icon (I am always going to use gestures to get to the hub but if I have to hand my phone to somebody who is not familiar with BB 10, I want that person to be able to click on email icon to get to hub->emails)
3. I want trackpad for better/faster precision and faster copy/paste of text. Trackpad makes text-manipulation/text-editing much faster.
4. I want status bar to show # of notifications and kinds of notifications. BB 7 will show you # emails, #text message icon, #whatsapp messages, battery life, signal strength. I want that stuff visible in-app as well.
5. Fine grained sound profiles
- 02-05-13, 11:13 PM #3
1. I want my lists back for pictures and songs. I hate these fancy graphical ones. I have dirty pics I don't need the world seeing.
2. Calendar alarms
3.the ability to list songs by well song titles.
3.to be able to open the browser straight to my bookmarks page.
5.os7 style sound profilesBriniaSona
Graphic Artist of Sanctity Design and CrackBerry's Biggest Anime Fan
- 02-05-13, 11:25 PM #4
Hide Apps from the home screen
Blackberry Link syncing with Outlook
Able to uninstall pre-installed apps using Blackberry Link
Able to delete emails from the device only
The ability to use the mute key to launch your favorite app
- 02-05-13, 11:32 PM #7
- 02-05-13, 11:35 PM #8
Need to see the ability to customize bedside mode return.. including being able to set it to automatically switch the sound profile to 'phone calls only' like we used to.
Would also like to see the social feeds app back
And would like to be able to set individual volumes per notification, and different sounds per email account.
Other then that i'm loving my z10!
- 02-05-13, 11:39 PM #9
i woudl also like to get more sounds, i like the legacy notifications and i'm to lazy to reformat and transfer the ones from my 9900
with regards to the social feeds, is it really required though now that we have the hub and you can just set up the hub to not show texts or e mails and just use the actual text message icon to move to the textmessage tab on the hub manager
- 02-06-13, 12:33 AM #10
Re: What BB features would you like to see return to BB10
The hub will show you direct messages from Facebook twitter etc.. social feeds showed you the news feed from facebook/twitter etc.. two very different things.. If u post a status or a picture for example.. that does not show up in my hub.. but it would have shown up in social feeds
Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 using Tapatalk 2
- 02-06-13, 01:08 AM #11
For calendar alarms, just set a new appointment with the time you want it to fire up and set the reminder to AT START, repeat as you wish and you're good to go.
You are not using many service books since you're not using BIS anymore, the default services for calendar and email you set it the accounts part, for address book do it in the contacts app itself.
Some of the pre installed apps you can delete.
To delete email from the server when you delete from device, you need to set it up in the server first in Gmail this is found under imap settings
Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10"If you can't find anything wrong with your OS of choice, you might be a fanboy, if you can't find anything RIGHT with the smartphone OSes you DON'T use, you're definitely a fanboy." - Ashley Esqueda
Trough the Phone Lens C0019FC6B
- CrackBerry Abuser
02-06-13, 05:04 AM #13
- 127 Posts
Google Maps works (edit: was working) really well in the browser.
My biggest request is bring back personalisable notifications & alerts!!!==========================================
- Avid fan of BB 9700 and 9850 - the 5mp camera addition made life so much easier (even though it was fairly crap!). Waited a long time for a Q10, including being 5 months past my 'upgrade' date from the carrier - lost my nerve and got the Z10 1st Feb 2013. Probably switching back to a 9900 while I wait for OS fixes/upgrades. Proud Londoner (that's in the UK, guys!)
- CrackBerry Abuser
02-06-13, 05:32 AM #14
- 380 Posts
Profiles, Social Feed, and Podcasts.
Social feed covered news, twitter, fb, and bbm status', would be messy if it was integrated in the Hub though.
and the native podcast app on my 9800 works much better, saving your place etc, then others I have used on BB10BlackBerry since 2008
Bold 9000 -> (phone so bad I can't remember it...) -> Torch 9800 -> Z10.
PlayBook 16gb wifi
- 02-06-13, 05:33 AM #15
Ability to change font size within an e-mail (not just the menus/headers)
Ability to control what is on the lock screen (and control the font)
Ability to move to next or prior message within a message list/hub
An icon on the home screen to say "look in hub for messages" - we have that for texts and BBMs
In holster/out of holster profiles.
- 02-06-13, 06:34 AM #18
Push email!! I sent a test email to myself this morning, and it took almost 15 minutes to arrive on my phone!! I'm very used to having my emails instantly!!Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
- 02-06-13, 09:15 AM #21
A bunch of threads on this but without BIS, any e-mail that isn't set up via ActiveSync are no longer push.
For example on my GMail account, the "sync" option is 15 minutes or longer (30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, ...) or MANUAL.
- CrackBerry Addict
02-06-13, 09:17 AM #22
- 608 Posts
I've got 2 Gmail accounts setup, one IMAP and the other Active sync. Both received a test email just now in les than a minute. There is a setting in Gmail to use push if available.
Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
- CrackBerry Genius
02-06-13, 09:23 AM #23
- 1,577 Posts
Having played with BB Z10 some more, here is my revised list (and it probably includes everything mentioned above already):
Hub - I agree with most constructive criticsm noted in CrackBerry's review of Z10. Fixes to HUBs should be highest priority.
Sound and Alerts profile (like in OS 7) including:
- be able to set sound for each account, different volume for different kinds of notifications
- customize bedside mode, customize what to do on returning from bedside mode
Status bar - I want status bar to show # of notifications and kinds of notifications. BB 7 will show you # emails, #text message icon, #whatsapp messages, battery life, signal strength. I want that stuff visible in-app as well.
File management - ability to hide files/folders, password protect them
DLNA - ability to select folders I want to make available for DLNA (or exclude some folders from DLNA). I want to DLNA some music videos, but not videos I record from camera. So, I want to exclude certain folders from DLNA.
Home and Lock screen customization:
- ability to hide apps
- EMAIL icon (swiping gesture to get to Hub is a great shortcut, but there should be an EMAIL icon!)
- customize what's displayed on lock-screen
Calendar Alarms and Multiple Alarms - need to be able to set multiple alarms
Email customizations -
- Different alert for different emails
- Email filtering rules
- Customize font size (not just for header/subject)
- Display first line of email's body as subject, if subject line is empty (like in BB 7)
- ICON for email on home screen
- Ability to store emails for more than 30 days
- Option to delete from device, server, both
- Improved push (gmail emails seem delayed, probably a gmail issue but BB should figure out a workaround to make it instant)
Trackpad - For better/faster precision and faster copy/paste of text. Trackpad makes text-manipulation/text-editing much faster. Come on, BlackBerry is all about "keep moving". Not having a track pad, slows us down when we want to copy/paste/edit text.
- By Vostro15 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook OSReplies: 24Last Post: 01-12-14, 10:20 AM
- By gwanstarr in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 25Last Post: 09-15-12, 07:23 AM
- By Innovatology in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 0Last Post: 09-27-11, 02:57 PM
- By silvalex in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 21Last Post: 12-13-08, 01:36 AM
- By jaymojones in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 61Last Post: 12-12-08, 04:33 PM