Like it says at the top. We would have more people and maybe blackberry could buy webos later down the line. It should be dirt cheap haha.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 04:19 PM
    WebOS has been open sourced, there would be no need for BlackBerry to purchase it.
    05-31-13 04:23 PM
    BlackBerry needs more power

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 04:23 PM
    WebOS has been open sourced, there would be no need for BlackBerry to purchase it.
    They could close it. I mean it won't hurt them really.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 09:59 PM
    Then they should do that to android also

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 06:44 AM
    Like it says at the top. We would have more people and maybe blackberry could buy webos later down the line. It should be dirt cheap haha.

Posted via CB10
    This actually isn't a bad idea (well, except for the buying WebOS part). HP needs to get back into the mobile game, but WebOS has already failed them miserably. Once BB10 is solidified technically, BBRY needs to get BB10 into circulation. I think there's an upside to licensing BB10 to HP to revive the Palm brand. It's recognizable, and it's one more alternative to Apple and the myriad Android device manufacturers.

The only downside is the negative perception around HP's mobile efforts with Palm dragging BBRY down even further. But that can be rectified with effective marketing. Hell, they couldn't do much worse than Nokia with WP.
    06-01-13 06:57 AM
    Then they should do that to android also

Posted via CB10
    Negative, the future blackberry has sticking with QNX is a bright one.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:03 AM
    This actually isn't a bad idea (well, except for the buying WebOS part). HP needs to get back into the mobile game, but WebOS has already failed them miserably. Once BB10 is solidified technically, BBRY needs to get BB10 into circulation. I think there's an upside to licensing BB10 to HP to revive the Palm brand. It's recognizable, and it's one more alternative to Apple and the myriad Android device manufacturers.

The only downside is the negative perception around HP's mobile efforts with Palm dragging BBRY down even further. But that can be rectified with effective marketing. Hell, they couldn't do much worse than Nokia with WP.
    Hmmmmm you make valid points. I think it would be like 2 companies that nobody counted in the mobile game to make a comeback, pretty strong at that!!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:08 AM
    I believe I read that HP sold webos to a TV company and we're themselves switching to android.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:25 AM
    ... Again, webOS I'd open source. That means free for anyone, anywhere, to use any way they want.

When I hear HP I think PoS. I can't see any advantage to a partnership between the two. And while yes, advertising could fix HP's image in the US, what's the advantage for BlackBerry to help with that?
    Perhaps even more important, what in BlackBerry's history makes you expect them to put of a successful advertising campaign? Advertising us a huge weakness for BlackBerry.
    06-01-13 09:40 AM
    ... Again, webOS I'd open source. That means free for anyone, anywhere, to use any way they want.

When I hear HP I think PoS. I can't see any advantage to a partnership between the two. And while yes, advertising could fix HP's image in the US, what's the advantage for BlackBerry to help with that?
    Perhaps even more important, what in BlackBerry's history makes you expect them to put of a successful advertising campaign? Advertising us a huge weakness for BlackBerry.
    But what do you think when you hear Palm? I was a huge Palm fan, right up until they sold out and went with WinMo and turned a pretty cool phone into a worthless turd. Even so, I don't think the Palm brand carries with it the same stigma as HP. Though I could be wrong...

As for advantages, HP licensing BB10 to be used on Palm branded smart phones could be a way to open the door for wider market share for the platform, which as we all know would be a major positive for developing the ecosystem. That would make it an even more viable alternative to iOS and Android, not to mention giving BB more of a leg up on Microshaft.

Then again, I thought the Nokia/MS partnership would gain a lot more steam by now than it has, so what do I know ...

But I do agree with your point on marketing -- and that obviously wasn't one of HP's strong suits, either.
    06-01-13 09:48 AM
    I have fond memories of Palm, but just as you said, it was turned into a worthless turd. Better IMO that BlackBerry builds up its own brand, which at the moment is stronger than palm and far stronger than HP.

While I think it would be cool to see BB10 licensed to many manufacturers, they'd need to comply with BlackBerry screen sizes for app purposes. And there's not much reason to have a whole slew of BB10 phones that are all the exact same, just made by different manufacturers.
    06-01-13 09:58 AM
    What I meant OP, is that I don't think as you said BlackBerry can 'close' an open source OS

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:13 PM
    I just think BlackBerry needs to snatched up the last of the Mohican on webos. In the end if apple continues on this path they're on blackberry and Android will be top followed by Apple and then Microsoft.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 06:31 PM
    Do you really want a partnership with HP...think of what happened with webos in their hands

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:44 PM
    Doesn't LG own WebOS now?

EDIT: Yeah LG owns it now going by wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebOS
    06-01-13 09:47 PM
    LG owns it and it wouldn't do anything for BlackBerry or QNX. There are a couple of direct WebOS ports on BlackBerry World so they could probably do a WebOS developer port-a-thon

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    06-03-13 03:16 AM
    The problem was mostly Palm hardware. I thought WebOS was by far the best GUI I have used. BB10 may change my mind on that.
    06-03-13 12:06 PM