View Poll Results: What will you do once BB10 devices are out.

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will upgrade from BB5 (or older) to BB10

9 9.68%
  • Will upgrade from BB6 to BB10

20 21.51%
  • Will upgrade from BB7 to BB10

36 38.71%
  • Will switch to competition device if BB10 doesn't impress

8 8.60%
  • Will stick to current phone for little longer

20 21.51%
    With BB10 devices due to launch later this year I was wondering what do you guys plan on doing once they finally come out.

My impression is that there are a lot of people sticking to their BB5 and BB6 devices and patiently waiting for BB10 to come out to finally make an upgrade. I'm basing this opinion on the fact that BB7 only makes up for about 20% of Blackberries currently in circulation. It will be really interesting to see now current BB users will react to next generation of more consumer oriented BBs.

I currently use 9900 and can't wait for BB10s to come out. Once they do only decision will be if I'll go with QWERTY or all touch
    Last edited by gorang; 02-13-12 at 01:04 AM.
    02-13-12 12:55 AM
    i guess i will be waiting out for a little since the 9900 is still good when the BB10 comes out.
    i will be an watching eye on the background for a while since it�s not really needed to rush for me.
    but who knows it isn�t that case and i would get one right away.
    i will wait for the qwerty ones first. my 9900 is still good, i just hope they make a even better one.
    they have the time now to put everything good together now, so bring it on.
    02-13-12 01:27 AM
    hmm I need more options.
    I'm going to be upgrading a
    9700 with OS 5
    & a 9900 with OS 7.1
    02-13-12 01:28 AM
    What I want to know is how backward compatible is BB10 going to be.
    For example would the NFC on a BB10 talk to the NFC of a BB 7 device?
    Will the BBM connected services seamless with BB7 devices?
    A lot of questions remain. No point getting a BB10 device if one cannot interact with the older BBs in the same seamless manner.
    02-13-12 01:35 AM
    I might actually buy one...I never sign contracts and never buy phones above $200, but might make an exception if it's SUPER awesome...
    02-13-12 01:41 AM
    A lot of questions remain. No point getting a BB10 device if one cannot interact with the older BBs in the same seamless manner.
    NFC should work. Because it's like equivalent of asking if Bluetooth on BB10 will be compatible with BB7. Except maybe a few software things. But that shouldn't be too hard to implement.
    02-13-12 01:48 PM
    I will wait and let the dust settle. I am still under contract for another 1.5yrs. I am also not sure what my work is going to do with the BESX or Activesync. Right now they allow both. Sometimes waiting can be a good thing.
    02-13-12 01:52 PM
    I'll probably upgrade to BB10 before I upgrade to another PlayBook. The upgrade will be based on what I see at the carrier after released as opposed to what I read.
    02-13-12 02:25 PM
    Upgrading as soon as a BB10 slider comes out on AT&T.
    02-13-12 02:34 PM
    Without the need of any inside sources, I can say yes.
    NFC is a hardware standard, and the inter-blackberry handshaking software implementation should be identical. There's no benefit to doing it differently, it would be more work and the implementation of NFC has been post-QNX acquisition. Take my word as a guarantee.

As for BBM -- there would be no point in delaying the release if they were going to abandon all existing users. Furthermore such a move would segregate their entry level curve line from the premium line -- the cost in terms of strategy, marketing, etc is incalculable. It will be a lot of work to make sure they get it right at the start -- particularly managing multiple devices per user -- but there is no alternative. It's also feasible, and it probably played a role in RIM taking a breather to execute with focus after the delayed launches of BB7 phones. End of 2012 will bring next-gen chips that offer more features (LTE, NFC, dual core, etc), with lower power consumption, smaller sizes, cheaper prices, etc. So time the release to coincide with that and make a push with some real oomph behind it.

If there were any discontinuity, I would expect it to be limited to the enterprise-side hardware+software. By the time you know BB10 phone launch dates, I don't think you'll have any doubt about what you'll want to upgrade to when.

Waiting can be tedious, but I promise you it makes sense. These decisions take a long time to play out. RIM made its mistakes from 2008-2010 and that's what has been making headlines for the last year. I saw this coming, but unlike the bloggers/media dog-piling out of schadenfreude or making their views quota, I also see how it will end.

Side Note -- You guys ever talking about bgr.com? If you didn't know, they have a partnership with a hedge fund. Hedge fund leaks them insider info they pay for directly or through their private network. The trade is BGR gets those exclusives of slides -- which are worth real money to them from pageview related advertising -- and in exchange they commit to dumping on BlackBerry stock on demand, usually with false and misleading reporting. Knowing what gets pushed out when is in turn worth real money to the hedge fund. It is illegal, but they are in no danger of being prosecuted by the regulators.
    Last edited by BlendIcier; 02-13-12 at 03:07 PM.
    02-13-12 03:04 PM
    I'm happy with the 9900 for awhile
    02-13-12 04:29 PM
    I will upgrade but only if there are at least two options. One touch screen like the rumoured London and one with what I want...a physical keyboard.
    02-13-12 05:57 PM
    my Curve 9360 does everything I want it to.

That being said, if I'm impressed I'll get one if my contract is up for renewal. Otherwise I'll waif for my contract to expire and switch carriers, and maybe get one if I''m tired of my Curve or the new carrier uses AWS.
    02-13-12 07:45 PM
    Im waiting to use my upgrade for BB10 but am on the lookout for a good price on a Bold 9900 for Bell Mobility. I need an upgrade from my Bold 9700, its running OS6 and it does everything I need but it has been abused, dropped in mud a couple of times, hit big rocks, fallen off my lap when i get up and forget its there. No matter what I have done it still works, not exactly like day one but very close. Camera beats most of my friends with new androids and thats without everyones precious autofocus. I LOVE my Bold and have not made up my mind whether to get a touch screen BB10 or wait for one with a keyboard. No matter I know I will be super stoked with it.
    02-13-12 10:05 PM
    I can wait since the contract on my current 9800 happens to be up in December. So, assuming the world hasn't ended, we should know how the new BB10 phones are working out by then. If things look good, and if I get to at least maintain my current functionality, and if it does include exchange activesync, then I'll get one.

Otherwise, I'm moving to android. The Galaxy II S we got for my son is nice. I just wish it didn't force you to have an actual google email address account to use it instead of using an existing google account already tied to another non-google email address. I see it as a way for google to artificially inflate their email account user numbers.
    02-14-12 10:42 AM
    Seems like the poll is missing an option: Will switch to BB10 from competition device if it looks good.

That might be the category I am in if it impresses me enough.
    02-14-12 11:13 AM
    I will keep my BB 7.0 device (9350) that I just got until it's time for upgrade. If OS10 or 10+ is appealing, and if BlackBerry is still around, I'll continue to use them.
    02-14-12 12:11 PM
    I'll wait for a Torch slider running BB10 preferably white to come out on Telus before I upgrade. Until then, old faithful aka my 9780 will have to keep on going.
    02-14-12 02:49 PM
    Could have used another option like, Dump my fragile iPhone 4S for anything BBX.
    02-14-12 02:53 PM
    If T-Mo prices them like the 9900, I'll probably end up sticking with my 9800...
    02-14-12 03:35 PM
    Still under contract for quite a while. Happy with my 9930. if it BB10 devices are all touch screen, I may just hold onto my 9930 after the contract ends. I really love this classic look. The new OS looks sharp tho. Saw the screen shots from the article.
    02-14-12 03:56 PM
    Seems like the poll is missing an option: Will switch to BB10 from competition device if it looks good.

That might be the category I am in if it impresses me enough.
    I was thinking about adding that as well but figured it probably wouldn't be a popular category in BB forums. Might consider going to Android Central and iMore to ask how folks feel about the topic there...I am afraid of all the potential hate I will receive there tho haha
    02-14-12 09:47 PM
    i love my bb 9850 and it well build and easy, but if the new bb10 is coming well i want it. go bb
    03-03-12 10:22 AM
    I do not think I'd get the first generation of BB10 devices. It is a new, massive step for RIM that won't go without a few hitches. Considering I recently got my 9900, off contract, and that it works splendidly - i'm not keen on investing right away. In addition to this, if i were interested in a full touchscreen device, i'd get an iPhone. RIM's strength comes with those keyboards. Therefore I think the wisest thing for me would be to wait and see what the future models will be offering. And their prices.
    03-03-12 10:44 AM
    I will upgrade my trusty 9700 when RIM releases BB10 in the bold form factor. My upgrade is due in Jan/13 and despite all the abuse my 9700 has taken it still does the job wonderfully. Besides, wtf would I do with the hundreds of wallpapers I've obsessively hunted down for it?
    03-03-12 11:38 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD